Search

Costa Rica Car Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica Car Advice Please

Hi!
We're planning a last minute trip to Costa Rica in early August for 7 nights.
We'll spend 5 nights at Villa Caletas and then 2 nights probably near Arenal.
Looking into renting a car but also considering hiring a driver.
An 8 day rental of a 4X4 is really expensive (about $600 with insurance) but I'm thinking that hiring a driver & taxis will add up too.
Can anyone recommend a driver to contact or a good car rental company with the best deal?
Ultimately, I think we'll need the car because we don't want to eat every meal in the hotel and we like our freedom. We've driven in Honduras, so driving in C.A. is not that new to us.
Thanks!
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 04:03 AM

Hi,

I am planning my trip and based on my research so far, www.ticotravel.com has car rentals for cheaper than $600. I just checked the sight, and for a 1 week a Terios is $299 including insurance and a Rav4 is $340 including insurance.

Good luck!

Karen
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 04:51 AM
Iza

I used Dollar Rent A Car on a prior trip and will use them again in August. Their rates were the best I could find for what you get and include insurance in the green season. $600 sounds expensive unless you are renting a large SUV. We are getting a Nissan Pathfinder from Dollar for $489 a week including tax and insurance. A smaller 4x4 will be much cheaper than that.

Check them out at http://www.dollarcostarica.com/
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for the info.
Unfortunately, one of the samlled SUV's isn't acceptable to my husband, so we'd have to go with something like a pathfinder.
Iza-
on Dollar's site, 8 days, in and out of the airport, with full insurance is $640. Without full insurance it's 560. Unfortunately, we need the 8 days because we arrive early and leave late.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 03:23 PM

You might check our Toyota car rental. Do a yahoo search for costa rica and toyota car rental. They have a 4-runner for 414 a week plus insurance. If you rent on-line you get a 10% discount. Also if you have some insurance coverage on your credit card then the insurance you have to pay is $13.00 a day. I think we will rent from them for our august trip.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 06:36 PM

do you know your whole iteneary? you may not need a car. You can take the fantasy bus to arenal from san jose (i think it is like $60 but i cannot remember) then take it again to most large beach destinations and monteverde. If you want to go out to eat, you can get cabs pretty easily. It is not the most glamorous way to travel, but it is much cheaper
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Again, thanks for all the help.
I think I've convinced my husband that a Rav 4 will be just fine. Today we got a quote from ticotravel for $411 for 8 days. It's that extra day that's killing us on the cost.
We arrive on a Saturday, 8 AM and leave on a Saturday, 6:45 PM which is why we need the extra day.
Regarding taking the bus, unfortunately, I'll never get hubby to do it. Private car, maybe. Bus, no way.
Tino-
who are you using for your rental?
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 05:52 AM
Iza

Kristina, your husband sounds just like my husband ;-) That's why we are renting a Nissan Pathfinder!
As to insurance, if you have a platinum card, all you need is just basic insurance from the rental company. Call your cc company and ask them to explain the insurance benefits that are available to you.
I think you are better off having a car at Villa Caletas and at Arenal - it will allow you more freedom to go out to dinner and see the sights.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Well, I've convinced my husband that a Rav-4 will be just fine.
I contacted Tico travel and it's $411 for the 8 days, including all tax and basic insurance, and meeting us at the airport. If we want "full insurance" (not sure what this covers) it would be another $13 per day ($104, ouch!)They also say they guarentee the model of car instead of "or similar".
I'm wondering if this is the best deal and if they are a reliable company? Feedback?
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Oops! Sorry, just realized I already posted this info above. Sorry.
Though I's still looking for more feedback on Tico Travel, thanks!