Interbus / Car Rental Confusion

Jun 16th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Interbus / Car Rental Confusion

Will be in Costa Rica for 9 days this August and had planned to use Interbus to get from city to city. After looking at their website, I am concerned about routes and prices. Most transfers seem to cost $38 per person regardless of distance, and more importantly, they don't seem to make long trips. For example, I need to get from Montezuma to Liberia, but there aren't any routes that go that far. Will I have to travel from Montezuma to a midway point and from there to Liberia? Will I then be paying two separate fares? Also, all buses seem to leave in the early morning, so would I even be able to do two legs in one day?
After looking at Interbus, I checked car rental prices, but while the dollar amount may be about the same as several interbus trips, I am concerned about the deductible in the case of an accident or theft. It would seem that the renter would end up paying $750 -$1000, whatever the amount may be, if something were to happen. Am I reading incorrectly? I think that would be enough to dissuade me from renting.

Thanks!
Jun 16th, 2004, 03:16 PM

we are paying $500 something for a premium SUV (4runner) with Thrifty for 9 days in July. That includes the mandatory liability & taxes but doesn't include any optional additional insurance you may choose to take.
Jun 16th, 2004, 03:39 PM

mat629,
I believe that is correct about the deductible; however, you probably have similar terms on your own car insurance, so I wouldn't let that be your deciding factor.
Jun 16th, 2004, 03:49 PM

Correction - I was just looking at Dollar's Costa Rica site and it says the deductible does not apply if you get the full coverage insurance.
Jun 16th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Iza

I believe you will also have coverage on better terms if you use a platinum cc for the car rental. Check with your cc company.