mopeds on Cozumel

Jun 15th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

mopeds on Cozumel

Has anyone rented a moped on Cozumel? We will be making a day trip from PDC to Coz for snorkeling, etc. and thought renting a moped might be a good way to take in more of the island at our own pace. Is this a common request and does anyone have any idea how much this may cost?
I also remember from a previous thread someone mentioned something about a road block they set up somewhere on the island???
Thanks!
Jun 15th, 2004, 08:51 AM

Three words - DON'T DO THIS!

It is not much more expensive to rent a car and drive around the island. It's easy to find your way around, and there are lots of things to see and neat little bars and restaurants to stop in.

I can't tell you how many VERY bad moped vs. car accidents I have seen after going there for 10 years. (Last year, a guy did a wheelie accidentally and dumped his girlfriend right in front of our rental car. She was covered with road rash due to being in shorts and a bikini top, and her vacation was RUINED.)

It's not but another $15 to $20 to get a cute little convertible bug to stash all your stuff in and go see everything. There is plenty of parking once you get out of town, and you'll be much safer.

Tourists are killed every year
Jun 16th, 2004, 05:34 AM
RBC

We rented mopeds on Cozumel. I enjoyed circling the island on them very much. I do not think it is dangerous since the traffic outside of town is so light. Make sure that you rent from a good company however. Some companies basically recycle old mopeds with used parts and these break down frequently.

Jun 16th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

RBC,
Do you remember who you rented from, or roughly how much it cost?
Jun 16th, 2004, 05:46 AM
TC

I completely agree - DO NOT DO RENT A MOPED. It is a long, slow, windy, sunny, hot, tiring, dangerous trek around the island on a moped. You will be dirty, hot, and exhausted by the time you make it back to town. You will have sand in your eyes and bugs in your teeth. If the weather turns bad you will really be sorry as there is no way to get back but ride through it. Please rent a car. You will be safer and you will have more fun. The mopeds are so tiny - you can't carry anything with you, like snorkel gear. You can't lock anything up when you stop along the way - like cameras. I have seen lots, and lots of people hobbling around on crutches after a little moped encounter in Cozumel. You may think you know what you're doing - but others don't and they'll cause you trouble every time. And, yes, there are random road blocks checking for sobriety and helmets - so don't get caught without either.
Jun 16th, 2004, 07:14 AM
RBC

I don't remember the name of the company I rented mopeds from. However, Rentadora is recommended by several guide books (see http://www.xaac.com/paradise/Services.htm)
Obviously it is not as safe to ride a scooter as to rent a car. However, one of the highlights of my trip to Cozumel was circling the island by scooter and stopping off at beaches, bars and restaurants along the way. This was in February though and it will be hot and not as enjoyable in the summer. If you are careful, I do not think it is dangerous, particularly outside of town. Also, if you have never driven a bicycle, moped or motorcycle you are more likely to have problems staying upright.

Jun 16th, 2004, 07:35 AM

RBC, no offense to you, but you are unknowingly giving extremely bad and dangerous advice.

Both TC and I have been going to Cozumel for many years, and I can tell you that most of the accidents I have personally witnessed did not happen in town. But of course, there are so many that they happen all over the island.

I'm sure the people who died or were injured thought that they would be fine too.

You can have a better experience on the island tour in a jeep or a convertible bug and be safe for a few bucks more.

If after you've been told by two people who KNOW for a fact it's not safe you choose to do it anyway... well, there's nothing we can do but hope you come back in one piece.
Jun 16th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Diana, maybe we'll look into renting a car. Is it pretty easy to rent a car in Mexico (with American insurance)?
Jun 16th, 2004, 10:48 AM

Yes, it's no problem.

We stay at the Presidente and rent through the hotel.

There are the regular US chains there like Avis and Hertz. We usually rent Jeeps and they have always been in great repair.

If cost is a factor, I know the Bugs are much less expensive (and cuter too!)
Jun 16th, 2004, 01:54 PM
jhw

Car rentals are pretty reasonable, and if you want to cruise the northeast portion of the island, get a 4-wheel drive. We've rented from Rentas Aguilar for years and their rates are about as good as anyone's.

Insurance is another matter - no American Auto insurance companies provide coverage in Mexico for rental vehicles as part of your basic US policy. You are much better off either accepting the rental agency's coverage (and paying a premium) or using some form of traveler's coverage that includes collision and liability for rented vehicles.

In any case, if you go the moped route, do have medical evacuation coverage.
Jun 17th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Who would you get traveler's coverage from? Is it through your US policy, or do you purchase that from the rental place?