Question for LordBalfor - "Funcar"

Mar 30th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Question for LordBalfor - "Funcar"

LordBalfor - I'm a big fan of you South Pacific Reviews and photogallerys - I've been doing research on my trip for several weeks now, and your posting have been vital

In one of you photogalleries, you have a picture of a "Funcar" that you rented - it bascially looked like weak golf cart or something. My question is, where did you rent it and was it useful? I want to rent a vehicle but I think a full side car is overkill, and I was considering a scooter, but unless someone rents out a big stable scooter that comfortably seats 2, I think the risk of falling down makes it not worth it.

So the Funcar - was it useful? Can you take it on the inner road? Do people make fun of it? Do large dogs overturn it?
Mar 30th, 2003, 11:10 AM

I'll give you our review and opinion on the so called "Fun Car." They were invented by a sado-maco contortionist. We would avoid them, unless very desperate. I'm over 6 feet, and was crammed in, with knees and elbows hanging out. While allowing one to get around, they are not comfortable, and be sure to put on your sun screen. They are available widely in the Cooks and French Polynesia. Didn't see them much on Aitutaki, but did on Raro.
The best way of getting around is by motor scooter, but my wife and I are just too chicken. We conjure up images of badly scrapped elbows and knees. On Raro, we rented a car for 24 hours ($50 NZ about) from the Avis office at Muri Beach. She was closed Sat noon, and all day sunday. Would have to return car at office in Town.
Mar 30th, 2003, 12:26 PM

Noel, first off, thanks for the compliment. I'm glad I can be of help.

BillJ is right about the funcars being very uncomfortable. I certainly wouldn't want to drive one everyday. However, having said that, renting one once for a day or two can be a pretty fun experience. It's something you're not likely to do at home, so give it a shot. You are on vacation after all - you don't have to do the same old things you do at home. That's part of the fun.

Like you, we were not up to renting scooters. I'll drive a moped on a firm, flat beach - but I'm not excited about the prospect of leaving the side of my face peeled along a stretch of asphalt... so we opted instead for a funcar. I do recommend one, but again, perhaps not for your entire vacation. Keep in mind that if it rains you will get somewhat wet - even if it has a canopy roof.

In answer to your questions:

1) Yes, the funcar was useful. Big enough (barely) for two people, with a tiny trunk (check your car before your rent it - some trunks didn't lock).

2) Regarding the inner road - yes you can take them back there. The width of the inner road varies considerably depending on which stretch you're on. In some areas it is essentially a fairly wide 2-lane road. In other sections it's really a one lane road (drive slowly). Most parts that I saw (perhaps even all - I can't quite recall), seemed to be paved, so it's a decent road, just sometimes very narrow.

3) People probably do make fun of it... but we didn't care.

4) Hitting a large dog (or even a medium-sized one)would not be a good thing. Drive carfully.

Hope this helps a little.

Ken

Apr 5th, 2003, 08:37 PM

Ah, I feel sort of stupid, but I just realized I never answered one of your main questions - that is "where did you rent it?" ...

The fact is, I don't remember the name of the place. It was west of town (towards the airport). I also think that there was a place to rent these vehicles just across the road from the main airport terminal. In any event, when you arrive, pick up some of the free tourist literature (especially the large "newpaper-like" ones). They are full of ads - a couple of which will certainly be for "funcars".

Ken
Apr 7th, 2003, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! - just as long as it doesn't have a manual transmission, I think I'm going to rent one. Yes - I'm very ashamed to admit that I can't drive a stick shift

Noel
Apr 7th, 2003, 10:23 AM

I can't drive a "stick shift" either and we were fine. Ours was an automatic transmission.

Ken
Apr 7th, 2003, 08:01 PM

Transmission? These things are lawn mower motors. They have only one gear, slow and loud. Be careful where you park. I picked some shade, then found no reverse, so had to push it back on the road. My wife says, "Fun car, my ass!" quote unquote.
Apr 8th, 2003, 04:48 AM

Yeah, that's true that there's no reverse.

Ken