Costa Rica Car Rental - confusing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I have tried reviewing all the previous posts about car rental in Costa Rica and I just want to confirm what I believe to be the case.

There is what is called TPL - which is a MANDATORY $15/day charge - there is no getting around this.

However, for CDW, collision damage waiver, if I use my Platinum VISA then it is already covered. So I can decline CDW.

So other than the other two items above, is there any other INSURANCE that I have to worry about?
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

I found another thread where someone had bought travel insurance. I called them today and they have Rental Car Damage: it says
Provides primary coverage if the car you rented while on your trip is damaged due to collision, fire, flood, theft, vandalism, windstorm or hail.

So it seems like I can just buy the extra SLI, Supplementary Liability Insurance?
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 06:31 AM

Hi bdesaul -- I've rented cars in CR a few times...the company I use includes basic insurance in the price of the car rental. The basic insurance includes liability, CDW, and theft.

There is usually a high deductible, so the supplemental insurance at $15.00/day covers the deductible. The supplmental insurance is optional.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 06:44 AM

We used the local company--Tri-Color--on our second trip to CR. They were better to deal with than the chains...we used Budget last time and there were all sorts of hassles and extra expenses.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 09:53 AM

I also use a local car company and not a chain...

I believe the mandatory insurance is standard for all car rental companies in CR and-- I may be mistaken about this -- but seem to remember hearing that it's required by law.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 09:59 AM

By the way -- the basic insurance that I mentioned in my first post IS the mandatory insurance.

So just by renting the car, you're pretty much covered as far as insurance goes (CDW, liability and theft), UNLESS you feel more comfortable purchasing the supplemental insurance that protects you against the higher deductible.

The company that I use has a $750.00 deductible which, again, I think is pretty standard in CR.