Car Rental Insurance in Costa Rica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiancé and I have been researching for months while planning the perfect honeymoon to Costa Rica in March 2010. I have found a lot of great advice on these boards! I do have one question that I would like to get some feedback on today. We are planning on renting a car for half of our trip. I know there is car insurance provided by the rental company that you are required to purchase. However, as I was researching travel insurance today I saw there is optional additional car rental coverage. Is the insurance provided through the rental car company sufficient or is it a good idea to get additional car rental coverage through the travel insurance? Does anyone have good travel insurance companies that they have had positive experiences with in the past?

Thanks so much for your help!
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 11:07 AM

First you might want to check to see if your current car insurance or even credit card company will cover you in Costa Rica. In our case, we found out that my Amex covered everything and we didn't need to buy any insurance when we were traveling. If not, I think it just depends on your comfort level with the insurance they offer. US rental companies do the same thing with buying extra insurance...I've never done it, but I guess it just depends.

If you are looking for a rental company, we used Tricolor in Costa Rica and were very pleased.

More info and pics in our Costa Rica post at http://patrinadoestheglobe.blogspot.com/

And congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 11:11 AM

If you use your credit card (most will cover your insurance in CR, call and check) then the only other insurance you will need to buy is the 3rd party insurance, which at least in my case with Solid was $8 a day.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 11:45 AM

Costa Rica Liability Insurance mandatory NEVER covered by CC

always go with www.wild-rider.com good price includes ins.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 06:26 PM

LoveAnAdventure,
I am going to CR in Nov 09' and even if your CC does cover supplemental insurance, I would buy ALL the insurance available i.e. theft, mangoes falling on car, etc. because the Car Rental Company will charge your CC the ENTIRE amount of the damages Or the CR police won't let you leave until you pay up! I, for one, don't want to be paying for a overpriced piece of ** car in CR! I "think" most CC companies WON'T cover a car in CR anyway. Max out the insurance on the car for "piece of mind" and a future with your fiance without debt. It's either "insurance to the hilt" or I wouldn't rent a car!
Congratulations and have fun, be safe!
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 07:45 PM

Most credit card companies actually do cover rental cars, call and ask yours to confirm. Both of mine do - Capital One and Citibank. That coverage by the CC covers theft, any damage or collisions; if you do opt for that coverage with your CC then you are required to purchase the liability (3rd party) insurance. I've never heard of police stopping people from leaving the country tbh, and most of the rental cars are very nice.