Cartagena-The best!

Old Sep 9th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cartagena-The best!

Anybody who is traveling to South America or the Caribbean must visit Cartagena! It's the most beautiful and romantic city I have ever seen. It reminds me of San Juan (Puerto Rico) but much more authentic, and much cheaper as well. If you can, you should go in late december. You will party like never in your life. You will hear great latin music on every corner and the most sophisticated people from the interior of colombia go there for vacation.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 11:20 AM

How safe is it? I have heard the crime rate is very high.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

I felt extremely safe. There is a lot of poverty and you will see homeless people on the streets. However, they will not approach to you. This city works and lives for tourism. There is a lot of police everywhere too...I was there a few months ago... We went out to a club in the old city with a group of people and I wanted to go back to the hotel before anyone else... around 3am... (and I am a 23 year old woman)... so I left on my own, it even took me a little while to find a taxi but I felt really safe to walk around on my own that late...
I think that Cartagena is not less safe than any other city in the Caribbean...
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 09:56 AM

Thank you. I wonder if you would feel safe under the same circumstances when you're 33. .
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 12:45 PM

the cities on the coast are the safest in colombia. resons: tourism and guerrillas have few places to hide.

cartgena is beatiful. december is crowded with higher prices. it is cooler than the normal 95 degrees and 90 percent humidity.

Old Sep 19th, 2004, 06:29 AM

So what is the temp and humidity in Dec. please?
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 01:08 PM

I agree that Cartagena is a fabulous vacation destination.
I was there last February and loved the place-in fact the whole country is a gem.
As to homeless there are certainly less homeless in CTG than there were the last time I visited Seattle but maybe that's not saying much.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 05:31 PM

I was to Cartagena many times in the 90's. Charter flights out of Toronto were cancelled a few years ago but I see at least one of the tour companies has started carrying Cartagena again this winter. Cartenaga is a wonderful city for tourists. It doesn't have the wonderful white sand beaches but there is lots to do and see. The residents were friendly and the city beautiful. The old walled city is fantastic. I hope to return!