Search

Sao Paulo - safe ??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Maureen

Sao Paulo - safe ??

How safe is this area for a businessperson? Not to sound like a scared idiot but with the kidnappings going on in some parts of South America, is this a concern? My husband has traveled extensively (never to South America though)and never had a problem but after speaking with some of our French friends, I'm concerned. Thanks!

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 03:50 AM
jen

Hi Maureen<BR><BR>I travel to Sao Paulo often. At first it is overwelming just because it is 3 times larger then New York City. It is a gloomy City, but really has so much to give. It is safe, people blow so many things out of perportion. Don't wear jewlery and you will be fine. I ride the buses and go everywere and have had no problems. Go and have fun, if you can do shopping do some shopping they have great prices on Leather and Jewelery. Have a good trip and do not be scared.<BR><BR>Jen

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Julie

I lived in Sao Paulo with my Brazilian husband for 4 years. I returned a year ago. I think your husband will be fine. There is a lot of crime on the streets. The traffic is awful and thiefs will take advantage of this by assaulting people in their cars at traffic lights. But if you're in a taxi, you're pretty safe. I drove my own car in SP and was never the victim of crime. As for kidnappings, I've never heard of a kidnapping of a foreigner. In general, kidnappings are not common in Brazil and if they do happen, the victim is usually a well-known very wealthy Brazilian.

Old Jun 21st, 2003, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We stayed at the Best Western Regent Park in the Jardins district and it seemed very safe and comfortable. The hotel was very pleasant, with kitchenette and breakfast...especially good for a long stay. Staff was friendly, museums etc within walking distance. We felt like we were on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.
In June paid $73 per night with Best Western online &quot;best rate&quot;, standard rate looks around $100
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess if Maureen was asking for a hotel in Sao Paulo Clark then your answer would have been on the money even though a little late about 1 year. Where is Punanni when you need her.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 07:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It doesn't matter how old a post is, people come to Fodor's and do 'searches' on cities and countries, and I post on several threads whenever I have a recommendation.
Our answers are not just for the original posters.