Search

Cancun or Cozumel???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cancun or Cozumel???

So, I have been placed in charge of planning a trip for a group between 6 -10 adult. It's a group ranging from 40 - 58 yrs of age.
One couple has an RCI membership through the Palace Resorts - so they get somce pretty good deals at Palace. Half of the group - 2 couples have never been to Mexico, the other 2 couples have been to Cancun several times. Sorry - now my question - which would you want to do - Cozumel - probably Cozumel Palace or Cancun - perhaps a Palace Resort or depending on a package deal - somewhere else. We really like: All inclusive - they seem to drink alot on vacation, a few golf a few times and the rest of the time its hangin out, shopping and enjoying our time away. Food is important - but come on - most of the all inclusives are marginal at best.

Thoughts? Where would you rather go?
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 04:57 PM

If you plan on snorkeling or SCUBA diving, Cozumel. If you want to visit ruins and shop, Cancun.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just read some good reviews of the Sun Palace which is adults only.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 06:49 AM

I agree on the snorkeling thing. Cozumel is the best place to snorkel. You can just go in right off your hotel. Cancun has incredible white sandy beaches. And one can always take a snorkel day trip or ferry over to Cozumel. Cancun is more built up and possibly more things to do. What other interests?
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

I think those that like to snorkel would prefer Cozumel. Havent checked- not sure if there is golf on Cozumel...oh that could be a problem! I guess for me, I dont care - but perhaps I'll narrow it down to one hotel at each - and let them pick!
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 09:56 AM

How about PLaya Del CArmen? There are several AIs, and 1 is a Palace. It's near the cozumel ferry dock so you can easily do a day trip to Cozumel. It's a bit more 'Mexican' than Cancun, and has a great little town with dozen if good restaurants.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 09:59 AM

Playacar Palace is the resort in PDC. It's a very short walk to the town of PDC and the Ferry dock (which is where the town begins).
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:04 AM

PDC is a good compromise! And it's a little closer to one of the ruins if anyone is interested. Still lots to do without being so overdone like Cancun. I agree - great idea for the ages. We had similar ages do this trip about 5 yrs ago and everyone enjoyed it!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 02:19 PM

Cancun is just another Miami. If yout friends would like to see a bit of Mexico, I would recomend cozumel.

Keith
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 06:49 PM

If you have some rea;avid snorelers you can still go to Cancun. Those inyertested can rent a car and drive 1 hour to Xuhal where there is excellent snorling but by noon it is very crowded. But after a 9: 309-11:00 snorkel and dress you can have lunch from a number of places, Then, though hot, you are within 20 minutes of the Tulum ruins that are very interesting. An hour+ there and you are ready to drive back to Cancun by 3-3:30. A nice day. Also, a half day trip to Isle de Mujeres by ferry from Cancun is quite interesting for those that have not made the trip. Fifteen years ago it was like a backwater Mexican lovely quite island a 1/2 hour away from Cancun. Two years ago it was quite built up but still retained the old world charm unlike Cancun.
Just some thoughts.
But the earlier comments are correctt you do not have to drive an hour to snorkel if you go to Cozemal.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 04:16 AM

Cozumel is quite laid back. We were just there in February, but didn't stay at the Palace. I have heard a lot of great things about the Palace Resort there - excellent service and great food, but there is no beach there (hence, the great snorkeling). I think there is a wall, and a man-made sandy area for the "beach."

There are golf courses on the island. The drawback of Cozumel is that if you are really into shopping, it gets very busy with cruise ship tourists during the day. You may want to check out that "other" travel forum (tripadvisor) for more chatter about Cozumel and PDC.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 04:49 AM

I found that the cruise ship people pretty much all went to the the over priced shops the cruise lines directed them to, near the dock. Moving just a short distance inland, to (for example) the mercado, they cruise crowd had all disapeared.

Not that San Miguel is a big place for shopping.

Keith
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 01:46 PM

Have you considered the Palace Resort on Isla Mujeres??? (Isla Mujeres Palace). It is brand new! The Island has INCREDIBLE food - (so venture off property and try the local spots - freshest seafood ever!!!) Also great beach bars all over north end of island (also shopping) The food on the island IS VERY AFFORDABLE so you wouldnt feel like you were wasting alot of $ by NOT eating at your resort! One thing about the island..... i dont think there is any golf, but it is quite easy and affordable to take the ferry over to Cancun for a few hours/afternoon/morning of golf (15 min ferry ride!) Lots of people go back and forth! Isla Mujeres is close to cancun, but as far as the scenery and "style" of the island - a world away! I love isla mujeres and would chose it over cancun any day! (ps. if you are not "tied down" to chosing a Palace resort as your hotel, look into "Villa Rolandi" - #1 on the island! Luxurious and gourmet food!!!