Dive Shops in Cancun

May 23rd, 2004, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Dive Shops in Cancun

Will be in Cancun first week of August. I am looking for a safe, respectable dive shop for a couple of recreation dives, maybe a wreck dive as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
May 23rd, 2004, 04:59 PM

I would suggest that you go to Playa del Carmen and take the ferry over to Cozumel and dive or go to Akumal - down highway 307 from Cancun.
There is no place to dive in or close to Cancun, and if you go to Aqua World, they will take you someplace else (Like Cozumel) with a crapload of people and charge you an arm and a leg to do so.
May 23rd, 2004, 05:10 PM

Diane's message is nonsense, IMHO. I could see recommending Cozumel over Cancun...but PDC??!! No way!

There are several reef sites around Cancun, some wrecks, and of course, not far from Isla Mujeres is the infamous "cave of the sleeping sharks". (There are also some guides who will take you into the cenotes, if you're a danger seeker.)

Here's a few contacts for info:
* Solo Buceos, at Hotel Camino Real, (998)848-7000, ext7070 or 883-3979
* Scuba Cancun, Kukulcan km 5, (998) 849-7508
* PSI Dive Center, Kukulcan km 14.5, (998) 885-1141
* Ocean Sports, Av. Coba 51, (998)884-6064

Aquaworld also advertises that they run dive trips, and there are several dive shops on Isla Mujeres as well.

Poke around on the web, and you can probably come up with more dive shops in the area.

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
May 23rd, 2004, 05:21 PM

Whoops! Hit the Post button too quick -- on re-reading, I see that Diane *DID* say to head out to Cozumel --- that recommendation DOES make sense. Anyway, hope the contact info for dive shops in Cancun helps y'all out anyway --- there is diving near Cancun, if that's where y'all are headed.

Have fun!
Mark
May 24th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Phil: there is decent diving in Cancun. Cozumel is an excellent location for diving - but can be a hassle getting there (on your own) if you are staying in Cancun.

The best dive shop in Cancun IMO is Manta Divers. It is run by John and Mimi, a couple from Plano, Texas. They run a good operation, and they do not take out large groups! If you wanted to dive one day in Cozumel, Manta Divers can plan an dive trip there.

I do not have any experience with the Buceo diving op. Stay away from Scuba Cancun and Aqua World. Both of them take out large groups, their equipment is old, and their overall operation is sub-standard. Again, that is my opinion. After diving with these three groups, I will never go with Scuba Cancun or Aqua World when I'm in Cancun.
May 24th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. I will be diving by myself and don't want to go to Cozumel w/o my family so I really want to stay in Cancun. I received a quick response from Manta Divers to an email I sent. It seems as if it was personalized not a form letter so that is good. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks