Scuba Divers Help! - Cancun Advice

May 30th, 2003, 02:07 PM
wdj
Original Poster

Scuba Divers Help! - Cancun Advice

In October, I will be in Cancun as a newly sertified diver. Since my wife does not dive, I really will only have time for one maybe two dives. What are your reccomendations for best dive in Cancun or within 2 hr drive?

Thanks
May 31st, 2003, 09:47 AM

Diving in Cancun is not the greatest.
If you cannot spend a day on Cozumel, then you can go diving in Akumal down the coast from Cancun, or you can take the ferry over to Isla Mujeres.
If you can, you REALLY should try to get over to Cozumel - widely acknowledged as some of the world's best diving and an easy day trip from Cancun.
Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:33 AM

You're not going to like this, but the dive operators in Cancun are not very good. They used to have one called Blue Peace who had good divemasters and ran a small diving operation. Unfortunately, the after effects of 9/11 forced them to close because of insufficient cash flow.

Aqua Tours and Scuba Cancun are not good operators in my opinion. Aqua Tours takes out large numbers of divers as does Scuba Cancun. And if you need to rent their equipment, don't! It looks like it was left over from WWI.

Of course, Cozumel would be your best experience for diving. However, I understand if only one person dives and the other doesn't you don't want to spend a large amount of time doing it. Before I got my certification, I always enjoyed going along with my husband on the boat. While he was down below diving, I would just soak up the sun, or get in and splash around in the beautiful water. They charged me a small fee for going along.

If that is not an option, I have heard that Scuba Buceo I think that's how it's spelled, runs a nice operation with smaller groups. I've not used them personally, but have heard good things about them. You could probably do a search and find their website.
Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:56 PM

My husband and I went to Cancun as our first dive trip after becoming certified and went with Aqua Tours to Isla Mujeres and Cozumel. There were quite a few on the boat, but we weren't crowded & they helped us a lot. We had no complaints and a great time on both trips. The trip over to Isla Mujeres is only a 2-3 hour gig and well worth your time. You can do a day trip to Cozumel and your wife can shop or snorkel while you spend a couple hours diving and have lunch and time to spend on the island before returning to Cancun. I would highly recommend it. We went through the dive shop at Cancun Palace and were very pleased and would recommend it. Have fun.
Jun 12th, 2003, 08:53 PM
wdj
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info. How is a daytrip to cozumel possible? How long is the boat ride, since I assume you cannot fly after diving?

Thanks again
Jun 13th, 2003, 05:32 AM

All these responses about Cozumel are true but they are somewhat wrong about Cancun. While Cancun itself is not the greatest, you can stay mainland side and just rent a car (approx. $30/ a cab is more expensive) and go down to Playa del Carmen. From there you can decide if you want to go over to Cozumel but the ferry is not cheap round trip and that same money will buy you a dive in Playa. Go to the Continental Villas Plaza hotel and look for the blonde girl there (can't remember her name sorry) that runs the scuba shack out back by the pool. They do great dives and the dive I took was to a nearby reef called Tortuga (Turtle/Tortoise). The divemaster was certifying a diver and I had free reign at 40-45 feet with 75 feet of visibility. The DM stopped at the reef spots on the floor, pulled out spider crabs to play with us, and much more. I saw a sea turtle (thus the name of the reef), several eels and much more sea life. It was a great quality place to dive, close to Playa and Cancun. If you really want a dive of your life, you should try the underground caverns called Cenotes very nearby to Playa and still on the mainland.
Ciao
Scott
Jun 16th, 2003, 06:41 AM

You can take the ferry from Playa over to Cozumel for $14 per person round trip. The trip itself takes about 40 minutes. The ferry leaves for Cozumel every hour.

To get to Playa from Cancun, you could rent a car (very expensive) or you can take a bus from downtown Cancun to Playa for about $2-3 per person. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour for the bus trip to Playa.

IMO, it would be worth it to make the day trip to Cozumel for your diving. It will take a small amount of advance planning and cost you about $40 extra but would be well worth it. You would not be disappointed in the diving.

However, you know your situation best and what would suit your wife better. If you decide to dive in Cancun, go with Scuba Buceo.

Best of luck to you. I will be diving in Cozumel in two weeks!
Jun 16th, 2003, 10:59 AM
wdj
Original Poster

Thanks again for the info. One more question, what about just going over to Isla Mujeres and diving from there?

Thanks
Jun 16th, 2003, 11:12 AM

Better than Cancun or Playa del Carmen, but still doesn't come close to Coz. imho
Jun 16th, 2003, 12:02 PM

Check with Scuba Buceo. Most dive ops probably do a trip to Isla Mujeres. I don't believe there are any dive ops on Isla Mujeres for diving - just snorkeling. So, if you went over to the island yourself, you might not find anyone to dive with. Best bet is to check with Cancun dive ops to see if they do a trip to Isla Mujeres.