Cancun - day trip(s) with older kids?

Old Oct 26th, 2018, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cancun - day trip(s) with older kids?

Hi, we've been to Cancun many times, but this is the first time taking the kids (9 and 13). On typical beach trips, they get bored after a day of just lazy beaching. Which is sad for me because that is my favorite part. ANYWAY. So we need a day with some more activity to appeal more to them. The 13 is a boy and can be hard to please.

I've heard good reports of Xel-Ha, Xcaret, and XPlor. To be honest they all seem to run together. Is any of them more suitable for older vs younger kids? Or do we scrap that altogether and take the ferry to Isla Mujeres on our own? I also recently read about Selvetica, a zip line tour, which may be something we could do in the morning and then spend the rest of the day relaxing at the hotel beach.

What we're most interested in would be ATV or golf carts, ziplining, active stuff like that. Snorkeling is fine but not really a draw and we are not interested in swimming with dolphins .

Has anyone been to all of these and can rank them for the ages of my kids?

Last edited by 4sammy234; Oct 26th, 2018 at 07:32 AM. Reason: selvetica
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 08:01 AM

Have only been to Isla Mujeres (for a long weekend). I think it would make a good day trip. You can rent golf carts and easily explore the island in a day. I did a short trip report about it awhile back which should be easy to find in here.
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 10:05 AM

I'm not sure what you think would be so exciting about Isla Mujeres.

Xel-ha is mainly snorkeling, water stuff. Xcaret is animal-related, zoo type stuff with bits of others stuff put in. Xplor is mainly activity-based.

Sounds like you want Xplor. All of those are suitable for kids of your ages.
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 01:02 PM

When are you going? Snorkeling with whale sharks is pretty amazing; the season starts on Isla Mujeres sometime in May through September, I think.
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 01:10 PM

How about a trip to Coba ruins where they can climb the main pyramid, could maybe combine it with a visit to nearby Punta Laguna Monkey Reserve and a cenote swim.
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Xplor does sound like it's up our alley. What do you all know about Selvetica?

Coba sounds a bit far, but maybe a good second choice if the kids don't want to do a beach day, and it would be different than either of the other choices (Xplor and Selvetica mainly appeal for zip-lines and ATV fun).
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 11:04 AM

I would highly recommend both Xcaret and Xplor, as they are both fun places to explore.
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 02:47 PM

In my opinion, Isla Mujeres would be a great outing with the young ones in tow, especially with the close proximity to your hotel. The ferry ride itself will certainly be appealing to young and old. Once across, you can rent a golf cart or a VW Beetle to view the ilsland with great beaches and great eating places all along. Of course, you have got to make a definite stop at Garaffon park. It has what you and your family is seeking with the zip line, (above the water), kayaking and more depending on what ticket you purchase...A full day outing that the kids will thank you for !