Cancun with kids?

Nov 15th, 2003, 10:26 AM
lsb
Original Poster

Cancun with kids?

I would like to go away with my husband and children ages,9 and 12, during the Feb break. The only option which is affordable is Cancun. There is a package deal which includes either the Hyatt Caribe or the Fiesta Americana Condesa. The Coral Beach Fiesta Americana is not available. Has anyone experienced either of these hotels with children? Does Cancun have many family activities? Is the water too rough for water sports like kayaking and sailing? I know Cancun has a reputation as a party place. How is it for a family?Thanks.
Nov 16th, 2003, 01:42 PM

try the royal sands, ask your travel agent about it, excellent property and fairly cheap ( 800$ for air and hotle for 1 person) meal plan avaialbe and everything is 1st class
Nov 16th, 2003, 02:41 PM

Check on hotel rates in Playa Del Carmen. It is just south of Cancun and is much better for a family. The costs are usually about the same as Cancun, and the beach is MUCH prettier!

Yes, Cancun during spring break can get pretty wild!
Nov 16th, 2003, 03:03 PM

Everytime I go I wish I brought the kids. Here is my take. I have been to Cancun and stayed at the JW it was full of kids who were having a great time. I stayed at the Barcello Mayo an All inclusive, KIds galore. They have a kid disco, activities etc. All very fun with an incredible staff. I went to Isla Mujeres and it was much more adult. Cozumel-Occidental grand, again lots of kids having fun. Now I am going for New Years with my kids ages 7 and 8. Can't wait! We are staying at the Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar. I would recommend staying out of Cancun and looking into an all inclusive on the Mayan Riveria/Playa del Carmen. Look into Suntrips, Funjet and Apple for the best deals. You will all have a great time. The kids will be tuckered out I guarantee it. These resorts come with shows at night that the kids like, and avctivities during the day. Also they come with more kids because they are geared for families. Plus the kids can oreder what they want and run around.
Nov 16th, 2003, 03:46 PM

We took a family trip to Playa del Carmen in July. My children, 6-9 years, loved the resort, the Reef Club-an all-inclusive. Reminded me of a mid-range cruise ship. Beautiful beach, sugar white sand and gentle waves of turquoise and aquamarine. Nonstop activities for children and adults. Relaxation was not an option. Day trips to Cozumel, Xel-ha, Tulum all feasible, though not cheap. Cancun is party central for young hedonists.
Nov 18th, 2003, 05:19 AM
lsb
Original Poster

How far is it from the Cancun airport to Playa Del Carmen? Is it a rough ride? My 9 year old gets motion sickness. Thanks for all the info so far!
Nov 18th, 2003, 05:53 AM

Depending on where you stay it'about 60 miles from Cancun to the Playa area. But it is a very easy drive. Straight shot, very good highway, no crazy turns or curves. It's like driving down an interstate with jungle on either side.
Nov 18th, 2003, 07:44 AM

Kath is correct. The ride is a straight shot down a brand new, interstate-type highway. Most of the tour companies provide transfers from a van service. If your child can sit in the front seat, or next to a window, would he/she be OK?

I much prefer PDC to Cancun. It is so much more laid-back and pretty! To me, Cancun is like Las Vegas on the beach, while PDC is what I see when I think of a tropical paradise!