3 days in Tamarindo - what to do?

Nov 16th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

3 days in Tamarindo - what to do?

We will be staying for three nights in Tamarindo (leaving this week!!)- we will probably spend one full day just hanging out... and I am afraid of getting bored.

Would it make sense to rent a car there and drive along the coast to visit the other towns? Also, has anyone done the day trip to Rincon de la Vieja from there?

We hope to see nesting turtles, too...
Nov 17th, 2003, 04:56 AM
Iza

Mitch, we have done both from Tamarindo. I enjoy driving to neighboring towns from Tamarindo: Brasilito, Playa Conchal, Flamingo are all north of Tamarindo and worth a visit (30 minutes or so, good roads). During our trip this year we decided to explore some beaches south of Tamarindo as well (Playa Avellanas and Playa Negra). Both were beautiful surfing beaches but not easy to get to. The roads were horrible. There is now a boat service from Tamarindo to those beaches. Ask around in town.

As to Rincon de la Vieja, it is a great day trip from Tamarindo. We took that tour during our first trip to Costa Rica. There is a good canopy tour and we also spent some time at a natural spa including a volcanic mud treatment. There are day trips from Tamarindo that include horse back riding in that area as well.

See my trip report from this summer:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...rchText=report
Nov 17th, 2003, 12:11 PM

Mitch: Even though the sites are some distance away, the excursions are very well organized through the hotels. We stayed in Flamingo and went on a snorkel cruise from there which was nice. We also went on daytrip to a river (I can't recall the name but I am sure the hotel would know as it is a popular excursion) where we saw an unbelievable array of birds and wildlife including storks,spoonbills and monkeys. It was very worthwhile. We saw the leatherback turtles at night. There is so much to see and do that you should not be bored. We did rent a car which was essential for us to get to restaurants. I would recommend it unless you intend to eat all meals in Tamarindo. Enjoy!
Nov 17th, 2003, 01:41 PM

You probably can see the turtles at Playa Grande (beach just north of Tamarindo). It's a protected area and so probably need to arrange with your hotel or tour company to go there.
Nov 18th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, guys. We're leaving tomorrow!!! And I think we WILL do the Rincon de la Vieja day trip... and the turtles, of course!