Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

What to do in PDC if you don't like to sit on the beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:24 AM
nina

I'm thinking of PDC for a family trip this winter, but my husband hates lounging by the pool, beach and even more importantly, hates organized activities and games.<BR><BR>Does anyone have suggestions for independant activities in the area for our family of 4 including 10 and 13 year old boys? Also, what resort would have a low-key, classy atmosphere but still have kids? Thanks!

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Nancy

Hello Nina,<BR>There are the ruins of Tulum and Chichen Itza as day trips.<BR>There are a few eco-parks, Xel Ha, Tres Rios, (Tres Rios has horseback riding)and Xcaret that are fun for kids.<BR>There is a day trip over to Cozumel on the ferry and spend the day at Chankanaab Park snorkeling and/or an island tour or shopping.<BR>You can go to Cancun for the day and shop and sightsee. <BR>There is a large water park called Wet and Wild outside of Cancun.<BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Christie

Nancy has some great recommendations. When in Mexico, we love to go snorkeling, and we usually do a couple of different tours. See what your hotel or tour rep has available. <BR><BR>Most resorts in PDC are classy but still low-key and have at least a few kids. The only ones I can think of that are NOT are Royal Hideaway and Riu Palace.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Rick

Post your questions on the message board at www.playadelcarmeninfo.com. You might want to list activities that your husband and family like to do.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Bonnie

Christie,<BR>In your response you mentioned Royal Hideaway and Riu Palace. I am considering Riu - are there no children or is it not classy and low-key?<BR>Thanks

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 02:19 PM
nina

Thank you for the suggestions. It sounds like there are enough activities to keep my picky husband from being bored without subjecting him to poolside bingo!<BR><BR>I know there are no children at the Royal Hideaway, but they are allowed at the RIU Palace. From what I've seen, those are the type of places I definitely don't want - glitzy, not low key at all with pseudo elegance. Of course, I've never been there, it's just the impression I get when I look at the photo's. I'm also not big on the "Men must wear long pants to dinner" kind of mentality, especially on a tropical vacation!<BR>

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Hiho

If your husban does not like the beach, and you wnat low key, I would recommend not picking one an all inclusive or any other resort not in the town. At these resorts out of town, going anywhere involves some sort of organization. I think it is much better for you to stay in town - one nice place is El Faro, but there are plenty of otehrs depending on your budget. These places individually do not have many children, but there will be other kids on the beach and walking around. Staying in town means that you and the kids can be at the beach or pool if you want, while your husband is walking around. It is also easier from town if you want to do the excursions (to say Tulum) independently by public transport rather than by either renting a car or going on an organized tour (which it sounds like your husband would not like)

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Nancy

I agree completely with hiho, Nina.<BR>I think you should look for a place closer into town also and avoid AI's. <BR>Staying in town greatly increases the things you all can do with a minimum of fuss, and the things to do/see in PDC are within walking distance of El Faro. Other suggestions might be Deseo if you want luxury (not on the beach) or Continental Plaza Playacar (on the beach with a nice pool, but not 5 star quality.)<BR>Most of the AI's I've seen around PDC (and elsewhere in the Caribbean) could not be described as "low key" or "classy."<BR>(Just my opinion, and notice I said "most." <BR>

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 06:35 AM
nina

Thanks. I have a friend who recommended the Shangri-La. They've been going there for years and love it. Have you heard of this place? It's on the beach, which, while my husband doesn't like to sit on the beach all day, is where we all would prefer to stay.<BR><BR>Thanks again for your help.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Hiho

Nina - Hiho here again. I am not familiar with the Shangri-la, but I looked it up on the internet. It looks nice, but if you look at the map they provide, it is on 28th street, technically in PDC, but not really in-town. It might be 20 minutes walk before you get to anything besides other hotels. That is not too too far, but you should know this before you choose.