Search

25th Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
25th Anniversary

We would like to plan a trip to Mexico for our 25th anniversary, my son's high school graduation and my twins' 16th birthday, all coming spring of 2004. What is the best place to go with two 18 year old boys and two 16 year old girls. We are thinking of an all inclusive plan so the boys don't always have to be with us when they get hungry etc. I'm not even sure what we are talking in dollar amount. I've been checking out Cancun and Cozumel on the internet. We've never been to Mexico. Would like swimming, snorkeling, and activities for teenagers. Thanks. Any help is appreciated.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:31 AM

Well, I'll give my standard reply and also my favorite place to stay in Cancun and that is Cancun Palace. They have alot of activities going on, the hotel itself is immaculate, the pool area is great and the food is awesome (in my opinion). They are strictly an all inclusive. They also have two 18-hole miniature golf courses on the property and they include free tours to some of the ruins, snorkeling and other side trips. One of the advantages to staying at the Palace resorts is that you can visit the other Palace resorts, participate in activities, eat, etc. for no extra cost. Gives you some variety. Cancun has 3 Palace resorts.

How exciting you will be celebrating your anniversary and even bringing your kids along. I don't think any of you will be disappointed with a Mexican vacation. It is a beautiful paradise and my favorite vacation spot.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:35 AM

Mindy1, While there is probably a little more to do in Cancun, in my opinion you could do the same in Miami, or a resort nearer to you. And it also depends on your definition of Spring (as in Spring Break in Cancun or anywhere kids can get alcohol). I personally love Cozumel - it still retains charm. There are so many good restaurants in Coz it seems a shame to stay at an all inclusive. Check out the nicer hotels and then their restaurant menus. Remember at an AI you are paying for alcohol (unless there is a special rate)for teens who are not drinkers. Charging lunch/dinner to your hotel bill would be more reasonable. Snorkeling is wonderful. Tours are always extra at a IA, plus you need transportation as most are not close to town.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We will be going the week of March 13-20. I hope this is before the spring break rush. I noticed many resorts say "no springbreakers". We are from Colorado and it will be nice to go somewhere warm for a week.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Jerry:

It is not true that at an AI you are paying for alcohol. You are paying for ALL drinks, alcohol or not. Most of the upscale resorts will charge $4-6 for a drink whether it's soda or a margarita. That can get expensive.

Most tours are extra, but at Cancun Palace the tour is included in your AI price and the transportation is included as well.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

I read where the free tours are not free once you arrive at the designated area. Is this true? Are the included tours worth the time? Which ones? Should we look at Cozumel, one of the resort towns south of Cancun as the Riviera, etc? Would like a resort that has plenty of activities, but not the party atmosphere of the college set.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 06:10 AM

Mindy, I'm not sure about the tours others provide, but the ones from the Palace resorts are pretty much all inclusive. I think the tours to the ruins, Tulum and Chichen Itza are worth it. Those tours include air-conditioned bus transportation to and from the ruins, entrance fees, and lunch. Any drinks, souveniers, etc. would be extra.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 07:49 AM
ltt

i'd avoid cancun. you will be running into spring break. my family went down to playa de carmen during spring break last year. stayed at an ai and found it great with the kids. one thing they learned after paying a ton of money to take a tour to the ruins...talk to the local taxi drivers or your hotel people. a taxi driver said he would have taken the 5 of them for the full day for 1/2 the price they paid for a tour.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 04:12 PM

Check out www.isla-mujeres.net
You can totally avoid the spring break scene on this small island about 10 miles off Cancun.
The spring breakers that come to the island come there to avoid spring breakers.
This island has a fanatical fan base of repeat tourists and yet it is off the radar for most people.

World class beaches--inexpensive hotels and restaurants.

Small town fishing village atmosphere.

We spend a month a year on the island and will gladly send out a 26 page home grown brochure that we have put together to make the first time visit a no brainer.
just email us [email protected]