Zurich Hotel by airport

Search

Zurich Hotel by airport

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zurich Hotel by airport

We will be droppping a rental car off at the airport one day and returning on an early morning flight the next day.I am anticipating we will be spending an afternoon and eating dinner in Zurich the day we drop off the rental car. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good hotel to stay in? I was looking for one with an airport shuttle but they are not always advertised. I know some have recommended staying in the city rather than close to the airport but I am concerned about noise at night in the downtown area. Any suggestions?
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:08 PM

I stayed at the NH Hotel in Glattbrugg the night before an early morning flight to India. The rate was about $120 a night (not sure when you are going?). There is a free shuttle from the airport that runs about every 20 minutes, so if you are spending the afternoon and dinner in Zurich, you can always take the train to the airport and then hop on the FREE shuttle. It is very quiet there, as Glattbrugg is not a hugely happening place after dark.

The shuttle picks up and drops off at the Arrivals area and there are clearly marked signed for the hotel shuttle vans. The shuttles from the hotel to the airport starts at 545am, and then runs every half hour after that (I just called them to ask). It takes maybe 10-12 minutes to get to the airport from the hotel.
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:16 PM

I've also stayed at the NH (and have had some very good meals in the restaurant!). In addition to the shuttle freeman mentions, there is a stop just a block or so from the hotel for the train that also goes directly downtown.

The hotel is maybe 5 minutes from the airport.
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:25 PM

We stayed at the Park Inn Zurich Airport for one night last Aug. I think is was 125 CHF a night and they offer free airport shuttle. We took the shuttle to the airport the afternoon we arrive b/c the train station is under the airport. There are also many shops & restaurants in the airport. The shuttles runs back and forth every half hour so we didn't have to stress out about getting a ride back to the hotel. The hotel was very clean and the service was good.
Old May 21st, 2007, 03:24 AM

If you could give a hotel budget that would make my reccos a bit shorter and easier. I would recco that you stay IN Zurich if you have an afternoon and evening, it is such a lovely town and there are so many good restaurants to choose from. If your trip is in the summer, it is light until about 10 pm so you can really see a good bit of the city and enjoy a late dinner outside somewhere in that great summer weather, take a ferry ride, etc. There may be a church concert of other event going on, what is your date, I can check. I can recco places where noise should not be an issue or with air conditioning where noise would not be an issue. And really, unless you are talking about a weekend night, street noise in Zurich is not really much of an issue even on summer nights (I used to live in the old town of Zurich, and found that the Swiss party like clockwork just like everything else they do. Friday and Saturday only, plus some public holidays.)

I would strongly recco that you drop off your big luggage at the airport and either store it in the luggage lockers or manned luggage room in the airport train station (2nd basement level, same level where you get the train tickets), or if you are flying Swiss Air or another non-US airline, see if you can actually check-in the night before after you drop off the car, and get your boarding passes and check-in the majority of your luggage. This will save you a lot of time in the morning. For info on early check-in, go to www.zurich-airport.com.

After you have dropped off your car and big luggage at the airport, you can just hop a train into Zurich with overnight bags (10 minutes to the city centre). You don’t necessarily then have to stay at a hotel with an airport shuttle as you can hop on another train in the morning.

Old May 21st, 2007, 05:50 AM

The airport train station is in the basement of one of the two main airport buildings.

If you stay in downtown Zürich, you will have more options for your activities and getting to the airport the following morning is easy.

There are several trains every hour from the main Zürich station to the airport.

The night before check-in works very well I might add. I used it one year and it made the following morning much easier.

If you want to stay in Kloten, the suburb where the airport is located, we used the Hotel Fly Away. It was a decent 3-star hotel. The restaurant was very crowded as was the associated pizza parlor. If you decide on the Fly Away,
reserve everything: room, shuttle bus, and restaurant - even the pizza place.
http://www.hotel-flyaway.ch/

Let me warn you about one event regarding airport security that happened to me last year. For reasons I will never understand, the Swiss security people took ALL the tops and caps off our prescription drugs and OTC medicines.

The caps and tops were replaced with a piece of toilet paper which was stuffed into the mouth of the container.

The rationale given to me at the time was that someone could use the bottles and containers as mixing devices for explosives. Taking the tops was a countermeasure. I did not see any confiscation of tape or plastic wrap I might add. (The idea being that the liquids could be mixed, the top of the container taped or sealed shut.)

You figure it. I couldn't; neither could my chemist friend. I am still finding pills in my luggage!!
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

I really appreciate all the responses. We are flying out on Iberia at 7:45 am on the 13th of June. As to our budget, for one night I would like a quiet, clean place in a good neighborhood with a good bed and easy convenient transport options for up to $150 to $200 a night. Is that realistic? As we will only be there overnight I do not need a fitness center, restaurants, bar, room service, etc.
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:20 AM

We stayed one night at the Hotel Fly Away the night before our departure from Zurich. We checked into the hotel, unloaded our bags, dropped the rental car off at the airport, and then took the hotel's shuttle back to the hotel. It worked like a charm. We didn't have to fool around with the rental car on the day of our departure. Plus, there was a train station within a 5 minute walk of the hotel. We took the train to downtown Zurich and spend the rest of the day and evening there. The hotel is situated only a few minutes from the airport. The shuttle was free and runs every 30 minutes. The hotel room was basic but we were only there to sleep. I would stay there again.
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:24 AM

www.accorhotels.com i believe there is an ETAP at Zurich Airport.
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:44 AM

We stayed at the Renaissance by the airport. I bid $80 on Priceline and we got the Master Suite. Nice place. Try Priceline first!
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:44 PM

I am pretty sure that you can do early check-in for the Iberia flight, which would be good for you, as otherwise you would have to be at the airport at like 5:30 am, check the airport website to confirm that you can do this or call Iberia. (I assume your flight is back to the US, if it is to Spain, then you only have to be there about 45 minutes prior to the flight, but early check-in the night before may still be a good idea if you have a lot of luggage).

For hotels, Zurich is an expensive city. Some recccos are below, some may be a bit above that price range, check the websites. If you have any Marriott, Hyatt and Starwood points this is the city to redeem them in. Note that for some of the hotels below, it would be preferable to take the train to the Zurich Stadelhofen train station, and not to the main train station (called the Hautbahnhof), as the Stadelholfen train station is closer to the lower/ southern end of the old town. The Zurich Stadelhofen station is one of the four train stations in Zurich; although most tourists only know about the Hautbahnhof. This station is about 200 yards from the lake and is quite close to the Grossmunster and the Fraumunster (the one with the Chagall windows). There is a train twice an hour (on the hour and half hour) to this station from the airport which does not require any change and takes 15 minutes to get to Stadelhofen, although it stops first at the Hautbahnhof (There are more frequent trains which require a change at the Hautbahnhof). If you stay at the Hyatt, then the Zurich Enge station would be preferable. I can give you walking directions from the stations if you want them.

Hotel Adler
Hirschenplatz
Tel: (01) 266 9696. Fax: (01) 266 9669.
E-mail: [email protected]

In the Neiderdorf area, an area of charming cobblestone streets which is car-free. This hotel gets generally good reviews here, although noise is sometimes cited as a problem, IMO would be the worst on weekends. If there are courtyard rooms, I would take these as they will be the quietest. If you can, avoid the lower floor rooms looking onto the Hirschenplatz square in front of the hotel. No air-conditioning. For this hotel, the main train station is probably best. I believe they also participate in the hotel shuttle bus service (note that this is not a free service, I think it costs like CH15 a person or so).

Hotel Alstadt
4 Kirchgasse
Tel: 41-44-250-5353
Fax: 41-44-250-5354
http://www.hotel-altstadt.ch/cms/index.html

This is right in the heart of the old town on a charming cobblestone street, steps from the river, very close to the Grossmunster church, and close to some good restaurants and shops. They have a sleek modern design for their lobby and bar. I have never been in the rooms, but have seen them because my house was across the street and I had a view of several from my dining room and study. They look nice, a good size. I don't know about the bathrooms. They do not have air-conditioning as far as I know, and the street can be a little noisy on weekends evenings due to the restaurants in the neighbourhood. There were some negative comments on tripadvisor.com and on this board about smokey rooms. Use the Stadelhofen train station for this one.

Hotel Helmhaus
Schifflände 30
8001 Zürich
tel: 41-1 251 88 10
fax: 41-1 251-0403
http://www.helmhaus.ch

In the old town, near the Alstadt. They have air-conditioning. A very good location for sightseeing, shopping and eating. This is an older and more modest and basic hotel than the above hotels, but the air-conditioning is a nice plus. This would be walkable from the Stadelhofen train station.

Hotel Seehof
Seehofstr. 11
Zürich CH-8008
http://www.hotelseehof.ch/
Phone: 01/2545757
Fax: 01/2545758

This is just outside the southern edge of the old town, but still walkable to it in a few minutes and in a nice area behind the Opera House and about 100 yards from the lake. There are several good restaurants in this neighbourhood and others within close walking distance. It gets good reviews here. It is about a 3 minute walk to the Stadelhofen train station in Zurich so is very convenient for getting to the airport.

Hotel Alexander
Niederdorfstrasse 40
Tel.41 -44 251 82 03
Fax. 41 -44 252 74 25
http://www.hotel-alexander.ch/

The location is very good, in the northern part of the old town in the Neiderdorf, but this could be a little noisy as this is the more lively bar area of town. Ask for a room on a high floor or a courtyard room if they have them. I think this hotel is pretty popular on this board.

Hotel Leoneck
Leonhardstrasse 1
Tel: 41 44 254 22 22
Fax: 41 44 254 22 00
http://www.leoneck.ch/

This is just outside the edge of the old to area, but walkable to it in a few minutes. It gets some good reviews here. It is more modern than the ones above, and not as charming, but I think would be fine. You may get some slight streetcar noise, as it is on a tram line, try for a room on a high floor or an interior room.

A poster here was recently asking about to get to the Sofitel Zurich and I have him directions. It is quite modern on the outside, I don’t know it inside at all, but it would be walkable from the train station in a few minutes. It is outsite the old town, and on a main street and tram line, but has air conditioning, so noise would not be an issue. I am not sure of the price range. Take a look at sofitel.com.

I would NOT recommend the Limmatblick hotel.

Also look at

tripadvisor.com
frommers.com
karenbrown.com
alpineclassics.ch
relaischateaux.com
romantikhotels.ch
www.swisshotels.ch

There aren’t really any bad neighbourhoods on Zurich. There are some inconvenient ones, esp for one night, and there is one area north of the main train station which is a little questionable, but mostly very late at night (like after 2 am, the northern end of the Niederdorf has a similar rep at that hour). It is generaly an extremely safe city.

Old May 21st, 2007, 09:49 PM

I stayed at the Renaissance at the airport. They have shuttle service. If you can get a good rate through Priceline you should be happy. It's a nice hotel. I used points.
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:01 PM

I'm sorry, but the Renaissance is not in any neighborhood to speak of, and backs up to the railroad tracks. It's along a road in an industrial area. If you have an afternoon and evening in Zurich, please please spend it in lovely Zurich! You could be in a litle hotel on a cobblestone street with an outdoor cafe next store and church bells ringing in the distance... It's 10 miniutes to the airport from about wherever you are....
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your suggestions and information. I was spending an undue amount of time agonizing over this decision! Cicerone's information tipped me towards the charming downtown stay over the surefire convenience of an airport hotel. Based on his and bob_brown's suggestions we will stash luggage at the airport and check in (hopefully when we return the car) and spend a relaxing afternoon and evening enjoying Zurich. I picked the hotel Adler. Thsnks for putting all that information right at my fingertips,Cicerone!I feel good about it and am looking forward to it.
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:49 AM

i am just playing devil's advocate here....but where can you stash your luggage and check in then leave? Maybe I'm confused, but for some airlines, you cannot check in earlier than X number of hours before flight. We did it the other way, we checked luggage at train station, did a day trip, then picked up luggage and stayed overnight at an airport hotel. It took us nearly 3 hours from hotel to gate last June. Get there early!
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:55 AM

For LlindaC,

In Switzerland, you can check in 24 hours early at the train stations -- but only for certain airlines. No US airlines do this, but most (all?) European airlines do.

s
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:10 PM

As critch will already be at the airport to return a rental car, and as she is flying Iberia, she should be able to check-in the day before for her flight. She doesn’t need to use the rail check-in service.

If you are travelling by rail and flying Swiss Air/Lufthansa or some other airlines, you may be able to check-in at virtually any rail road station in Switzerland before your flight as well using Fly/Rail Baggage, up to like 24 hours ahead. There are deadlines for when you have to check-in, for info, go to http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/...er/flyrail.htm.

If you can’t use Fly/Rail because you are flying a US airline, you can also just send bags from many of the main tourist places in Switzerland to the airport train station and collect them there and check them in yourself using the "Fast Baggage" which guarantees delivery in 8 hours, take a look at http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/...isegepaeck.htm. To use this service, you must hand your bags over by 9 am, which for most people going to the US, means 9 am the day before their flight. (You can also use their regular service, but they only guarantee delivery within 36 hours, which is a long time to be without luggage.) This sounds like what LLindaC did, as it does not sound like her bags where checked in for the flight, she just picked them up at the airport train station.

One final option for people travelling by train and overnight in Zurich the day before a US flight is to take a train first to the airport and leave all their big luggage either in the manned luggage room or in the lockers (both located on the second basement level where tickets are purchased). This would save lugging them around the next day. The lockers take Euros and Swiss Francs. Both are quite safe.

If you are flying FROM the US and flying Swiss/Lufthansa or another non-US airline, you can usually avail yourself of the Fly/Rail Baggage service which will send your bags from check-in at US airport to your first destination in Switzerland. You won’t touch them at any Swiss airport and wont’ have to lug them onto a train, which is very nice. This costs about US$15 per bag, you can also pay a bit more for insurance. Again, this can take 8-26 hours, so you need to be prepared to be without the bags for the first day, but it is a good way to send things you know you will not need (like skis or maybe a baby carriage) that you don’t want to lug around with you on the train. Take a look at the link above. It was my understanding that US airlines don't participate in this service, but I have recently heard on this board that RailEurope also offers this service even if you fly a US airline. However, I believe you have to purchase rail tickets through them to get it, I don't know, you might look at the Raileruope site at http://www.raileurope.com/us/index.htm. Raileurope charges a surcharge for rail tickets so it will cost you more to buy a train ticket from them that it would to buy it directly from Swiss Rail (you can buy tickets and Fly/Rail tickets from Swiss Rail through their website at rail.ch.)

If your airline from the US does not participate in Fly/Rail baggage service, you can still use Swiss Rail's baggage service to send your bags on by themselves once you land at a Swiss airport. You will first have to collect them at baggage claim at Zurich or Geneva airport, and then bring them down to the railroad station yourself. You could use Fast Baggage if your destination qualifies or regular service if it does not.