Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

hotel near Zurich airport for early flight

Jan 27th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

We have a flight out of Zurich at 705AM on a Saturday.

Is there a hotel near the airport we should consider, or is there a hotel that can arrange a shuttle reliably at 500AM ?

We only need one night, coming from Grindelwald the day before on train.

Thank you.
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:17 AM

I used the Hotel Fly Away in Kloten last summer before coming back to Atlanta.
(The Zürich airport is located in that suburb.)

I do not know if the hotel has a shuttle that early or not. If not, then I am sure a taxi would be available. The hotel says this about the shuttle:
"Shuttlebus departs every 30 minutes to and from the Airport throughout the day." I do not know what "throughout the day" means when you field test it.

This particular shuttle van serves several hotels in the area, so if the Fly Away does not start that early, several other hotels in the area will not have the service either.

We need to leave at 8 AM and the van was there for us. It was FULL however, so our reservation was essential.

The Movenpick Hotel is also in Kloten. It is a larger hotel and slightly more expensive, but it seems like a solid contender for a good night's lodging.

As you know you can take a train from Interlaken Ost to the Zürich airport station. Most of the hotel vans pickup in the area between the two airport buildings.

Our room at the Fly Away was fine. Where we made our first mistake was failing to make a reservation in the restaurant. It was full of customers for a long time.

We walked around the area looking for a place to eat but decided that our best bet was the pizza place in the hotel.
(Not sure why we were so picky that night.)

Going back to the pizza restaurant was mistake #2 because it packed as well; standing room only. The manager was helpful and provided us with two pizzas and a tray so we could take the food to our room. Turned out to be a good choice. The pizzas were good and we could eat in comfort.

The room was ok or better, so no complaints there.

Why don't you email the hotel Fly Away and ask them. I made my reservation via email last year and found the staff response to my questions.
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:25 AM
J62

There is a shuttle train that runs from Zurich main train station to the airport in 10min flat. At 5am it runs every 15-20min. You can pick any hotel near the main train station and get to the airport very quickly.

What time is your departure that requires you to be at the airport by 5:30am?
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:30 AM

Zurich airport has day rooms that you can rent for overnight, with a wake up call so you don't miss your flight.

http://www.zurich-airport.com/ZRH/?I...Dayrooms&a3=65

Jan 27th, 2007, 10:45 AM

I stayed twice at Movenpick Zurich Airport. Large rooms, good breakfast. there is a free shuttle to / from airport, it will take 5 - 7 min.
Jan 27th, 2007, 02:54 PM

I would go to priceline.com and get a room near the airport.
Jan 27th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Hotels will usually be glad to coordinate a shuttle or taxi to the airport at any time. The old city center is about a 20 minute ride to the airport.
Jan 28th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replys.

Is anybody familiar with Welcome Inn Hotel in Kloten ? It sounds convenient to the airport, and reasonable. We have two teenagers- would need a quad room or two rooms- something to just rest in one night before flight at 705 AM next day.
Jan 28th, 2007, 03:19 PM

I stayed at the Welcome Inn once earlier. I did not like it. The same van serves both hotels.

I think the Fly Away is a better choice. At least it was for us, despite the meal situation. Our room at the Welcome Inn was very small.

Jan 28th, 2007, 07:15 PM

Before you book a room, check with one of the travel folks like Expedia or Orbitz. You might get a better price.

I think quad rooms are scarce. I think you will find 2 twin rooms much easier.

Besides, if you have to get 4 people moving for an early flight, and only 1 bathroom, it might be a little "tetchy".

I would not attempt it!
Jan 28th, 2007, 07:24 PM

SINCE you will be there on a weekend (you said Fri) the major Airport hotels usually have great weekend rates. We stayed once at the Hilton, good rate AND a shuttle to the terminal the next morning. (you'd have to check with them about the 5 AM shuttle, but a big hotel like that at the airport is sure to have very extended hours). Very comfortable and it's nice to have a place like that to "rearrange' your things from the trip and repack!!!
Jan 28th, 2007, 07:44 PM

I've stayed at the Zurich Airport Hilton, the Intercontinental Zurich (I think it's now a Crown Plaza) and the Zurich Marriott and took early morning (7 AM) flights after checking out of each. The Hilton overlooks the runway, and the shuttle is about 5 minutes from the terminal (I think the first shuttle was at 5:30). The Intercontinental and Marriotts are both around 10-15 minutes with no traffic from the airport, and I've taken the 5:30 shuttles without a problem.

If you want to walk around Zurich in the evening, I would recommend staying in one of the downtown hotels and taking a taxi at 5 AM; otherwise one of the airport hotels would be best (and I have to say that the Hilton was one of the best airport hotels I ever stayed in).
Jan 30th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions.

May look at the Hotel Bristol in the city and take a taxi early in the AM.

In a country renowned for its efficiency I feel confident we can arrive to the airport for an early flight without trouble.
Jan 30th, 2007, 08:59 AM

Bristol is a good choice; they have quad rooms. We stayed in the one on the top floor with our teens; it was room and very pleasant.

It's a five-minute walk to the train station, or you could ask the hotel to call you a cab. The first train to the sirpport departs at 5:02 and would have you at the airport at 5:14. But with four of you, a cab might cost very little more, and would be simpler.
Jan 30th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

I have just realized there is a "street parade " on August 11.

Will this affect our stay and ability to get to the airport in a timely manner ?

Should we avoid being in the city center, or is this a special time and enjoy it ? We have 2 teenagers- maybe they would enjoy it if there are any pre-parade events ?

Jan 30th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Hmmmm...this is the "Love Parade". We've been in the train station on two occasions when party-goers were arriving for this event. Saw lots of people dressed in feathers and paint, and a haze of smoke (not tobacco) hung in the air, along with loud techno music.

Your teens would probably love it. . .

But aren't you flying out on Saturday? I don't know that there are any pre-parade events on Friday night. But it may make finding a hotel difficult. Have you checked ?
Jan 30th, 2007, 01:49 PM

I should have said: your teenagers might love it. . . but you might not.

I don't think this would interfere with your transport to the airport so early in the morning. But to be on the safe side, you might consider a hotel close to the airport rather than in the city center.
Jan 30th, 2007, 06:47 PM

A taxi from the Bristol is going to cost you something between US$50-60 dollars for the 10-minute or so ride to the airport, just bear that in mind. If there are 4 of you, you and your bags may not all fit in one car, they do have vans, so if you want one you should request one. You should book this the day before, the hotel could arrange this or you can call yourself, the number is 777-7777. Operators speak English. No tipping is expected.

A train will be about US$4.50 per person, but if you have a valid Swiss Pass or other train discount card you can use that. A little more hassle for sure to take the train with bags, but overall very easy as the train rolls right into the airport train station. There are luggage carts at the platform which you can then take up to the check-in counters.

The Street Parade begins around 10 am on Saturday August 11, but the young people will start arriving the day before and the party will start then. Many will be camping along the lake, many staying in hostels in some of the less salubrious parts of town (yes they exist, generally to the west of the train station in the Langstrasse area). The Street Parade is something I always left town for, as it is rather a drug-fueled frenzy of very loud hip-hop music that goes on for about 17 hours non-stop. I would not personally let young teenagers anywhere near it, esp girls as there have been incidences of them being drugged without their knowledge by accepting free cokes from people on the street, etc. Just use common sense if you let them go out by themselves on Friday night. Not sure how old you mean by ďteenagersĒ in any event, a 13 year old versus an 18 year old is a big difference IMO. It is Zurich so of course itís generally very safe, but there will be like a million young kids there, so things can get out of hand. Drugs and alcohol are all over the place. Marijuana/hemp is legal in Switzerland (smoking it is actually against the law but is tolerated, itís a very complicated law) and you will see kids smoking it in public places like train stations (I actually prefer them stoned and passive to drunk and aggressive, and at the Street Parade this is much more in evidence, but it is the Ecstasy that is the issue at the Street Parade.

However, I donít believe that this will slow you down in any way your getting a 5 am train to the airport.

Jan 30th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for more insight into this parade.

And I appreciate the tip regarding using a van to the airport.

I wondered about street closures which would require detours, etc but I guess the taxi driver should have that info.
Jan 30th, 2007, 09:37 PM

There should not be street closures from the Bristol to the airport for the parade, the parade route is along the river and the lower part of the old town; the Bristol is north and west and quite near the entrance to the tunnel for the airport highway. It is also a very short downhill walk to the main train station.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO