York hotels /B+B's under $100 US

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for personal recommendations for pleasant hotels/b+B in York itself (as we are training not driving for Nov 19-23 or thereabouts. We are mid-50's travelers and would like quiet hotel with comfy beds...

TIA
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 07:30 PM
ron

I have stayed at St.Raphael Guest House on two occasions. It meets your stated criteria. I walk to it from the train station, but you may want to take a taxi the first time, since the short routes are not that obvious.

http://www.straphaelguesthouse.co.uk/
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 09:29 PM

I have friends who also stayed at the St Raphael and liked it. But it will be just a bit over your budget. Depending on the night of the week it runs £60 to £66 per night double. That is approx $110 to $120. Still a good value.

($100 is less than £55 and central York is going to be a little pricier than many rural B&Bs)
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 03:05 AM

We stayed at the Queen's Hotel in February and it was £55 on their website. Great hotel and we had a room overlooking the river.www.queenshotel-york.com
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 03:20 AM

In 2002, I stayed at the Sycamore

http://www.thesycamore.co.uk/default.asp

Its located just a few minutes walk outside the Botham Gate. We arrived by train and were able to walk without much trouble to the B&B carrying our luggage. (60ish grandmothers)

While you are there, enjoy an Evensong at the Minster, and a Ghost Walk.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Based on wonderful reviews here on Fodor's, we booked St. Raphael's last year and did not enjoy it. We had difficulty booking the room (lots of confusing emails confirming things such as the wrong dates - twice - and reserving a twin when we had asked for a queen). Even after I rang, I still had no idea if we were going to get what we had asked for. We ended up with an ok room but it had a window into the hall and they don't turn off the lights at night, which made sleep a challenge. The owners weren't the most pleasant people.

That said, it is in a central location and the price is ok. I just wouldn't stay there again.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 01:36 PM
P_M

We stayed at Burton Villa Guest House for 54GBP/night for a double room, en suite. It's a short walk into the town center and the service was the best we had in the UK. Ask for the room in the back, as it's the most quiet.

http://www.burtonvilla.com/index.htm
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 06:50 PM

Last year my mom and I visited York and stayed at the White Horse - it's a three bedroom B & B over a pub (but very wellinsulated - we never heard any pub noise). It was 50 pounds per night for a twin room, en suite, full English breakfast included. They had the most comfortable beds & pillows I've ever experienced when traveling. Plus it's real close to the city center - just a few blocks walk to the Minster and the Shambles. In fact the back of the White Horse is against the medieval city wall. I found them on the Smoothhound website. The same landlords have another property on the other side of town called the Lighthorseman. We really liked the White Horse and would stay there again in a heartbeat were we to return to York.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

great suggestions - white horse and burton villa look very nice- please keep them coming!