Search

York B&B needed

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2002, 11:46 AM
Russell

York B&B needed

We'll be in York in early July and plan to stay at a B&B. From what I've read, the Four Seasons seems to be one of the most highly recommended, so I've contacted them in hope of getting rooms. In the event they're not available (not surprising in view of the place's popularity) I think it would be a good idea to have a couple of others to contact to ensure that we get quality lodging. In the interest of identifying others, I've reviewed postings here going back several years and checked elsewhere as well. Without exception, the few B&Bs that have been mentioned have either mixed reviews or have changed ownership. So I'm back to Square One and need some suggestions of well-located, friendly, and comfortable B&Bs from those who are familiar with York. Many thanks for your help.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 02:22 PM
kitty

I'm one of the ones that highly recommended the four seasons (hope you can get in). If you can't get a room there why don't you ask them if they have any recommendations of similar type/standard of B&B? They might be able to recommend a few that you could check out via the internet. Good luck.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 03:00 PM
sarah

Nunmill House is excellent. We stayed there this spring.<BR>Also, check out Dairy House. We didn't stay there, but it looked really good in my research.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:30 PM
Laura W.

The Hazelwood Hotel is nice, has about 10 rooms, very near the city walls and about a 10 min walk from train sta.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:18 PM
Mel P

I stayed at a guest house in York a few years ago called the Mont Clare that was quite nice. Very clean, nice room w/good furnishings, en suite bathroom in every room, as well as satellite TV. Nice breakfast area and breakfast, our bathroom was the biggest and most modern of any place in England I've ever stayed in. &lt;g&gt; It's maybe 5-10 minutes walk from the city walls, past a street of nice shops. Price was very reasonable as well!

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Russell

Sarah,<BR> I appreciate your suggestion about Nunmill House and have learned that they can accommodate my party of three. My only concern is the location, which seems quite a bit farther away than the other B&Bs I am considering. Most seem to be near Bootham Road, perhaps 1/4 mile or so away from the center. Nunmill, on the other hand, is south of the center and appears about 3/4 mile away. Location aside, what I've seen at their website and what I've read in their response to my e-mail is very positive. So I'm wondering what you thought about their location and the convenience or lack thereof of what seems to be a substantially greater distance away. Many thanks for your help on this.<BR> <BR>Russell<BR><BR>P.S. I also looked into the Dairy House, but learned that it is for sale.

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:34 PM
sarah

Russell,<BR><BR>Before we went, I had the same concern, after looking at a map that included all the B&B's on it. Most seemed to be north of the city walls. But the location turned out to be no problem. We took a cab from the train station, and it only took about five minutes. The rest of the time, we walked, and nothing was far away. <BR><BR>Nunmill House is within a five minute walk of one of the gates. (Gads! I already forget the name!.) This is the gate that is within a few short minutes from Cliffords Tower, the Castle Museum and the Jorvik Viking Center. It doesn't take long to walk through the city to York Minster, which is on the opposite side. The town if full of interesting shops and even entertainment, so none of the walking across town was "down" time. I'd guess, if we'd walked straight to York Minster, from Nunmill House, it would have been 20 minutes. The walled city of York just isn't that big! We would definitely stay at Nunmill House again, if we were so lucky as to get to return to York.<BR><BR>Enjoy your visit!

Old May 9th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Russell

Sarah,<BR>Thanks for your note. We were about ready to confirm at Nunmill House when we got word that we could be accommodated at the Four Seasons. In view of the abundance of rave reviews about the place, we immediately accepted and confirmed the reservation there. Based on your comments, Nunmill appears to be an excellent alternative and we will take a peek while we are in town.<BR>Regards, Russell

Old May 9th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Cindy

Has anyone stayed at the Mount Royale Hotel?