York: Where To Stay?

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 10:39 AM
MICHELLE

York: Where To Stay?

Please: recommendations on accomodations for two in York? It is our first visit there. <BR>Thanks!

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 11:42 AM
Ben Haines

Dear Ms Sanford, <BR> <BR>Can you kindly give us your choice in style of hotel or bed and breakfast and in price ? <BR> <BR>Welcome to England <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 11:42 AM
Ben Haines

Dear Ms Sanford, <BR> <BR>Can you kindly give us your choice in style of hotel or bed and breakfast and in price ? <BR> <BR>Welcome to England <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 12:24 PM
Martha

Michelle - <BR> <BR>I just got back from a trip that included two nights in York. I stayed at the Churchill Hotel which is on Bootham Road, very convenient to York Minster, the city walls and the old area of York. I found it to be comfortable and friendly - an older residence converted to a small hotel that includes rooms with private baths. <BR>Martha <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 04:48 PM
M & J

We stayed at the Hazelwood B & B (about a 15 min walk from the train station), located at 24 Portland Street, Gillygate. Come to think of it, the walk took longer because we were constantly stopping and looking about this beautiful town. We had a downstairs room, very modern bathroom with access to a quiet common area sitting room, great breakfasts. Some suggestions of things we enjoyed--- a Ghost Walk at night, a day tour walk with a local volunteer, walking the city walls at dusk as the York Minster bells chime, we enjoyed walking through history at the York Castle Museum (where you will learn the history of the toilet !!), wander the ruins of St Mary Abbey, if you enjoy trains---check out the National Railroad Museum, get lost in the winding streets.

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 04:51 AM
Carl

Michelle-- <BR> <BR>I totally agree with Martha, we too stayed at the Hazelwood but had an upstairs room that was more than comfortable for around $50pds for 2. Carolyn and Ian NcNabb are the owners who do indeed serve a classy breakfast that's included in the price of the room. Their number is 01904/628-032 and e-mail at [email protected]. <BR> We did all the things mentioned in the previous post and LOVED IT!! Skip the Jorvik though, waste of time and money for a cheesy ride. Had a great Indian Dinner at the Viceroy of India, that we still talk about today. York is a fantastic city, and worth at least 2 days or more.

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totally agree with the Viceroy of India just a few steps from Monk Bar, great Indian food, friendly waiters and good service.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:42 PM
E_M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Royal York.

You want a room that ends in either a 2 or an 8...I forgot which. It's the one at the top of the stairs with a mahogany surround marble bath.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
you topped a <b>seven</b> year old thread for that??

Pretty sure Michelle isn't still looking . . . .

Just curious - honestly curious - how did you dig up such an old thread? Search for Viceroy of India or what??
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I was posting the same time as E_M. My comment was directed to igpjazz . . .