london-edinburgh trip

Mar 1st, 2003, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

london-edinburgh trip

Will be in London mid September & want to take Brit Rail, getting on/off in probably one city on the way ending up in Edinburgh. I am allowing 7 days total for travel. Expect to spend 2 nights in London (been there before) and then head off to Edinburgh for 3 nights. Any suggestion where to spend my remaining 2 nights. (assuming where we exit train we stay 2 nights and have no trouble getting on train next day to Edinburgh. We will fly into Heathrow and fly out Edinburgh. Thanks so much in advance! You guys are great with all the advise to us not-so worldly travelers. WE NEED HELP!
Mar 1st, 2003, 12:21 PM

If you've not been to York before then that would be my suggestion.
It is about 2 hours away from Edinburgh by train.
There is much to see, the Minster, The Shambles, the York Museum, the Roman Walls and more.
Mar 1st, 2003, 12:43 PM

I 2nd the York suggestion. A beautiful and easily walkable city. The Castle museum is my favorite. If you don't choose York then I'd recommend Durham as an alternative.
Mar 2nd, 2003, 11:53 AM

Most definitely York - 2+ hours from London and 2+ hours from Edinburgh.

The train station is right outside the city walls and almost everything is walking distance. And if you wanted to see Castle Howard (which is about 15 miles NE) you could take a tour from the York Tourist Information Center.
Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:25 PM

York is great! Suggest you stay at the oldest convent in England. Bar convent . Just walk out of the station , turn right go 200 metres and its on the corner. Nothing fancy but you'll be able to say you stayed in the oldest convent in England! www.bar-convent.org.uk . Don't forget to see the "priest hole" and the museum.