Reload this Page >

York for the weekend

Search

York for the weekend

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 06:38 AM
sue

York for the weekend

You guys have convinced me that York is where we should go to break up our two-week trip to London. I'd like to take the train from London, stay for two or three nights, and see some countryside while there. What do you suggest? Where should we stay? Can we rent a car in York? We'll be travelling with 2 kids.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Lori

I remember seeing a car rental place right at the train station in York (Hertz ??) The city itself is walkable but you'd need a car for the countryside.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Ani

Definately get a car...and DONT MISS fountains abbey!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 07:53 AM
kitty

If you decide to stay in York I highly recommend the Four Seasons Hotel, a small B&amp;B in York. I've written about this B&amp;B before so do a search on the Four Seasons and you'll get lots of responses. <BR><BR>We stayed in their family room in June 2001 and really liked it. There was one double bed and two twins which was perfect my family of four. Great breakfast, lovely room, wonderful owners, good location, etc.<BR><BR>Make sure you go to the National Railyway Museum in York. My kids liked it a lot (they were 12 and 8 then). They also enjoyed climbing to the top of York Minster, going to the Castle Museum, Jorvik Viking Centre (adults didn't like much but the kids really liked), Clifford's Tower, and walking the walls around the city. <BR><BR>We styed two nights and then went on to Edinburgh. As we took the train through Durham we decided we'd like to go there sometime. We also would like to go and see Castle Howard which is in the country near York.<BR><BR>We loved York and would love to go back again. Part of the reason is because of the wonderful Four Seasons Hotel.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 08:23 AM
lisa

York has lots of good B&amp;B's that can accomodate a family of four. We stayed at the Nunmill House. We rented two rooms there, one for the kids. The rooms were lovely and reasonably priced, breakfast was wonderful, the hosts very friendly. We only stayed two nights, so didn't rent a car. There was plenty we didn't even have time to see in York in two days. <BR><BR>There are books on the best B&amp;B's in the UK and you can find several in York. Plus, check out past threads here listing York B&amp;B's. Most B&amp;B's have email addresses so you can ask questions, including the question about renting a car versus taking a tour bus outside of the city. Things book early in the high season, so you may need to be prepared to check more than one location.<BR><BR>We loved York. Have a great trip.

janis

You can rent a car in York. And the train is fast. (Also consider driving from London. It is not a bad drive.)<BR><BR>Definitely stay 3 nights, more if you can spare it - there is a LOT to see.<BR><BR>* A full day for York itself - more if you spend a lot of time at the railway museum.<BR><BR>* Castle Howard NE of York. A fabulous stately home comparable to Blenheim or Chatsworth - where they filmed Brideshead Revisited.<BR><BR>* Fountains Abbey/Studley Royal. A wonderful ruined Abbey and a gorgeous landscape Garden<BR><BR>* The North Yorkshire Moors and the steam railway that goes through Goathland station (Hogwarts station if your kids are into HP.)<BR><BR>* Whitby and Robin Hoods Bay<BR><BR>* Thirsk - where the real James Herriot lived and had his vetinary office. The office is still there and his son live in the area.<BR><BR>and a hundred other places - the Dales, neat little country towns like Helmsly, etc etc.

Ani

Oh Yes, big DITTO on Four Seasons...wonderful place!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Nigel Doran

Try three days rather than two. If you want to get there by train, a return ticket is what you want. go to www.gner.co.uk and tap in London Kings Cross as your departure station. Sometimes, they do 'Fab 4' tickets (4 travel for reduced prices) but always there are Apex-style tickets. I think you should get a phone number from the site and phone them, asking them to give you the best deal as it is very complicated to work through our rail ticketing system. Kids should get reduced rates. Apex tickets can be as cheap as &pound;25 return. Standard class is fine. The trains are fast and modern.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 01:10 PM
sue

Janis - How long a drive is it from York to all those lovely places you described? Sue<BR><BR>

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 01:38 PM
janis

Sue: York to Castle Howard is less than 15 miles - count on 25 minutes drive time. And Pickering (for the N Yorkshire Moors railway) is about 10 miles beyond Malton/Castle Howard. This would make a good full day out if you are going in the &quot;season&quot;. Morning to Castle Howard and right after lunch go on to Pickering to catch the steam train across the moors and back. <BR><BR>Depending on the route, York to Fountains/Studley is 20 to 25 miles and about a 35 minute drive. <BR><BR>York to Thirsk is 22 miles and a fast drive - 30 mins or less. <BR>