york, england lodging

Search

york, england lodging

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2015, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
york, england lodging

If anyone has favorite places to stay in York, England - I would love to hear from you !
We will be staying 2 nights. We are a party of 3 and can split into two rooms or all stay in one room.
I am feeling overwhelmed looking at all the options and I appear to be late in planning for our July trip as many places are already booked.
Your time and input is appreciated.
Old May 12th, 2015, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

I am just realzing I did not post a budget which I am sure may be helpful for suggestions. I was thinking of around $200 or a bit more dollars a night but that could be flexible if needed - I understand I will spend more if we split into two rooms.
I was trying to stay away from the big chains but I did see a couple that appeared to have nice photos online.
Old May 12th, 2015, 09:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I really like the location of these and almost all the rooms are roomy, w/ kitchens/kitchenettes and mostly sleeping 4. They are not posh but very comfortable.

http://www.goodramgate.co.uk

Convenient in the center of things and very highly rated on TA and all the other booking sites.
Old May 12th, 2015, 11:46 PM

We stayed in the Travelodge - it was very conveniently located, and comfortable.
I know some Travelodge UK can be very iffy, but we were pleasantly surprised with this one! Di
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:32 AM

Hi
Been staying there several times - cannot compare to other hotels in York, have only been there..
No idea as to how $ relate to pounds lately.
So check...
https://www.yorkminsterhotel.co.uk/
Old May 13th, 2015, 03:46 AM
ESW

This may be a bit outside your price range but we can whole heartedly recommend the Dean Hotel in Duncombe Place.
http://www.deancourt-york.co.uk/
This is across the road from the west end of the Minster and must be one of the best locations in York, as everywhere is within walking distance.
There is valet parking if you have a car and they also allow you to drop off car and luggage when you arrive even if it is before the check in time. The day you leave you can also leave car and luggage at the hotel after check out until you are ready to leave York. Staff are excellent and nothing is too much trouble for them.

Breakfast is excellent and ample. I couldn't manage any toast and didn't need lunch. The three course dinner was also good. Double glazing is good and we found the hotel very quiet at night. Even the Minster bells don't ring.

My review is here:
http://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/b...urt-hotel-york
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:14 AM

Dean Court has a fantastic location and is a lovely hotel. But we stayed there last summer when it was warm, and the rooms get very hot, especially on the top floors. Some rooms could do with an update.
Old May 13th, 2015, 06:03 AM

My husband and I stayed three nights at The Ascot House B & B last September. It was wonderful and the hosts were very helpful. York is lovely and has a lot to offer. Here's a link to the B & B. We highly recommend and would stay here again without hesitation. While there, we met two other couples who had stayed multiple times. http://www.ascothouseyork.com/
Old May 13th, 2015, 01:40 PM

I stayed 4 nights here in 2012. It was a short, straight walk into the center and great breakfasts ..

Number 34 Bed and Breakfast
http://www.number34york.co.uk/
34 Bootham Crescent, York
Old May 13th, 2015, 03:33 PM

We stayed here and loved it. Such a sweet host. Wonderful breakfasts and very close to the cathedral.

http://www.abbeyfields.co.uk/bedroom.html
Old May 13th, 2015, 06:37 PM

We stayed in a B&B in York, and I was sorry not to have stayed in a hotel in the very center.

It's a flat town but there was so much to see on our two nights that walking back and forth to the B&B used up my time and energy.

I wish we had stayed in a hotel chain in the immediate center.
Old May 13th, 2015, 07:24 PM

There are several nice B&B's in the centre of town. A hotel chain does not necessarily solve the location problem. One year we decided to stay at the Hotel Du Vin Bistro having stayed at one in Winchester and Harrogate. Unfortunately it took far longer to walk into the centre than we anticipated, and we are walkers. Caveat...always check for location. A good source but not sure if they include York, is www.walkit.com. Google map will work if the walkit site doesn't.

The Dean Court has an excellent location but, when I stayed there last year, I thought it was in need of renovation. Not bad but beginning to look a bit tired. Lucky I had a window with nice breeze on the backside of the hotel.
Old May 13th, 2015, 10:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A breeze wad "nice" sounds like some passive-aggressive way of saying that AIR CONDITIONING is necessary and NOT available to me and then that the front of the hotel is noisy. How do people KNOW that the back rooms are better if they aren't staying IN the front rooms????
Old May 13th, 2015, 11:49 PM

Waw Dukey...
You see all the negative sides ?
I read that history spent a nice night.
Old May 14th, 2015, 05:13 PM

We stayed at The Groves, 15 St. Peter’s Grove, Phone: 011-44-1904-559-777 last fall. It is in walking distance of town, and we enjoyed it very much. Breakfast is included in the room rate.
Old May 15th, 2015, 06:14 AM

I can second scotlib's review of Number 34.

You have to decide if you want the short walk to and from town center necessitated by staying in such a B&B (which we found to be not cumbersome and had us in a quiet street) or if you want to be more in center; and decide if you want to be in B&B or an actual "hotel" or a flat. For B&B outside of city walls, I'd highly recommend Number 34.
Old May 15th, 2015, 07:48 AM

We've stayed at Dean Court a few times - some rooms are wonderful; those with views of the Minster on the first or second floor. Others are small and need work. I didn't find it noisy at the front, York is fairly quiet at night.
A really fabulous hotel with gorgeous rooms is the Cedar Court Grand. It's more expensive too. Very large rooms, and an indoor pool and spa. You'll probably not find a room for 200 dollars though. They do have good deals, so maybe check it out.