Search

York hotel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
York hotel

Hello:

We are very excited that our sone will be attending the University of York starting next month. Can you recommend a hotel for us? We are from Boston, MA and look for hotels that are clean, stylish and have ensuite facilities. My son will be in York for the next 4 years, so we'll want somewhere we can establish as a home base. Thanks so much for any suggestions. Jill
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

That's "son" and we won't be living in the UK, merely installing him and coming for a visit from time to time.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Maybe i'm stating the obvious but why not just have your son ask some questions once in York. I suggest he stop by the Tourist Information Centre and get their hotel lists (you could get online) and ask the experts there about hotels - locals he meets will also advise - this is probably the best way to get this info. York - one of the finest towns in the UK! Don't miss the chance to go to nearby Fountains Abbey - a UNESCO World Heritage site!
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 12:06 PM

We LOVED York! Stayed at the Bloomsbury Hotel and loved it as well:

http://www.bloomsburyhotel.co.uk/
It may not be as upscale as you are looking for. It's more of a modest B & B, but the location was great, the hosts lovely, and we had a special place in our hearts for it. We happened to be staying at the Bloomsbury on September 11, and I remember fondly a chat I had with the owner's mother, who was so devastated by the attack and shared our grief.

The breakfast area was nice, and we enjoyed our conversations with other hotel guests.

The York Minster is one of my favorite churches in the world. Fabulous place! So unique!
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mary Fran, I will check it out. Anyone heard of the Judges Lodging?
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 11:40 PM

Hi
Your post struck a chord, as last year I was in the same position in reverse! My son, at University in London (Royal Holloway) had a chance to study for a year in California (Irvine). The posters on the Californian forums were SO helpful when I started asking endless questions. And he had what he descibes as 'the best year of his life' studying abroad.
I actually live in North Yorkshire, close to York. This means I don't ever use the Hotels in York and therefore can't answer your question! But York is very much a tourist destination, and I am sure someone can help with the practicalities of where to stay.
This part of England is very beautiful indeed and I am sure you will enjoy your visits over here. Within easy reach you have the Yorkshire Dales with some of the most stunning scenery you will ever see. Plus you have the Moors, castles, abbeys, stately homes etc all within easy reach. York itself is great.
Please let me know if you think I can help you further.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 05:49 AM

Have tea at Betty's while you are in York. It's very English and the food is wonderful. Sue
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

We will definitely stop for tea at Betty's. Mick will actually be doing his entire undergraduate education at York and we are delighted that he will be exposed to new ideas and really launch into the global community that will define his generation. And, of course, we get to come visit from time to time.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 09:07 PM

Jill - we also live in Boston [Needham, actually] and our daughter is in York for her jr. year, fall semester - what a coincidence! We are going to visit her this week and are staying at the Monkbar Hotel - I don't know anything about it, but the location is perfect. When do you go to visit?
Debbie
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 09:58 PM

We stayed at the Best Western York Pavillion Hotel, which is a lovely renovated Georgian style building. The rooms were nice sized and quite comfortable. It was about a 15 minute walk into town. The food was great, too.