Which Greek island in March?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some help deciding.....We can only go to one island for 3 nights in March during our 9-day visit to Greece because of minimum flight schedules available without waisting time, and unreliable ferry schedules for that month. I will have a group of 8 people with me including kids 9-16 and two grandmothers(both fairly active.) We would enjoy a wonderful view as well as sightseeing, shopping and restaurants, as beaches won't be warm (so I hear). Mykonos, Santorini and Crete have been recommended, but as I first thought two islands would work, I now have to pick one and decide fairly soon. Has anyone been during this time and do you have a preference? Thanks!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

ttt - thanks!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 12:12 PM
brotherleelove2003

Santorini is a great choice. The views of the sea from the cliffs are spectacular. There are archaeological sites to visit, Ancient Thira and Akrotiri. The shopping might not be as good in March because it's low season and some shops won't yet be open for the season, but that's the case on every island.

If your budget includes a rental vehicle, Crete has a lot to offer as well, between the Minoan Palaces, the Samarian Gorge and the Venetian seaside village of Chania. The museum in Iraklion is a "must-see".

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 12:12 PM

I've never been to the islands in March, but from what I hear, unless you are particularly lucky, it will not be warm in the islands you mention, except for Crete, and there perhaps only on the southern coast. It's a great island and lots to do and see, not necessarily dependent upon warm weather. The western side (west of Heraklion) is much more the "pure Crete" than the touristy eastern. I have read that it is possible to swim along the southern coast year round; that area is actually closer to Africa than it is to mainland Greece. It sounds like a wonderful trip; how fortunate you are to get 8 folks of 3 generations to agree and sign on for this!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Old_One

The Samaria gorge in Crete is closed in March, winter rain makes it impassable and dangerous.

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info...it is quite a challenge to plan for a variety of ages!!! Jane
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 10:47 AM

I just read you are going to Greece in March-me too- I am trying to decide whether to go to santorini or crete. What have you heard about the places to go at that time? I just want to be able to have lots to do on the trip. I will have two children with me
any info is appreciated.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 05:52 AM
brotherleelove2003

In March, IF you can afford to rent a car, there will be more to see and do on Crete than on Santorini. The south coast of Crete will be the warmest area of the island, although it's impossible to predict what the weather will be like then in the Med.

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 11:46 PM

We also had 9 days in Greece and chose Santorini as our Island of choice..It was awesome and I am so glad we did not island hop (we had 6 days in Santorini and I loved every minute of it)...We were just there in Sept. of 2003 so I don't know how March will be, but I would go back there in a flash..We stayed at Volcano View Villas and the view was incredible..You just can't go wrong with Santorni...
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 08:47 AM

Hi, I was in Santorini once in mid April and it was very windy and not beach weather. It was so windy it was a little dangerous walking along the cliff side in Thira. At night it was damp and cold. Definitely need a room with heat. Most shops and restaurants were open in April. I don't know about March.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Hey thanks for the info. I didn't think about the wind and the cliff causing a little bit of a problem...I'll definitely have to keep that in mind if we go to Santorini. March is our best travel time because of spring break for the kids, though its not usually the best month to see most places. We beach a lot in the summer and knowing it would be chilly, we weren't really counting on great swimming weather, but we did want to experience the islands while in Greece. I'll have to check on the room heaters! Good advice.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 12:47 PM

Went to Santorini in March and liked it. Nothing in Oia is opened - but plenty in Fira. It wasn't beach weather, but it wasn't bad (and Santorini isn't exactly a beach type of island). However, wind caused our return flight to be delayed one day (and the ferries don't go in wind either). So be flexable.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 01:38 PM

I spent a day on Mykonos in April this past year (cruise ship stop) and it was cold and WINDY!! I'm talking gale force winds that had the sea whipped up with huge waves. Besides my fellow cruise ship passengers, I saw few people on the island and many of the shops had not yet opened for the season. I would guess that the temp was between 45 - 55 degrees F, but with such a strong wind constantly blowing, it felt much cooler than that. Our next stop was Rhodes and it was the exact opposite. Calm seas and balmy weather. On Rhodes is the castle of the Knights of St. John, the old harbor where the Colossus once stood and ancient Greek Culture sites as well. You may want to check into Rhodes as a possible destination for your three days. Have fun wherever you choose.