Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greece, 1 week, March, Where do you recommend?

Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings!
We are flying into Milan, Italy and spending 4-5 days there. We've been to Italy many times to include Sicily. We'd like a warm place, beautiful surroundings for this artist to paint and are thinking about Greece for a week or so.
I'd appreciate your ideas on the place to visit! I need quiet, beauty, and interesting sites to include historical and cultural.
We are experienced drivers and enjoy the freedom a car offers.
That said, I welcome your ideas!
Many thanks in advance!

studio underscore gigi at yahoo
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 02:28 PM

I love the small island of Agistri. There's a beautiful place called Rosy's Little Village - they have a website, or you can go to www.agistri.com
Rosy and her family are fabulous, the small towns on the island have friendly people, and the quiet beauty of the surroundings brings such joy. Crete is also wonderful, Xania is a lovely town - and there's a park not too far that you can hike and find wonderful places to paint and ponder.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:05 PM

This island looks beautiful. Our plans put as in Greece in October, we were thinking Santorini, and then Rhodes before we head to Marmaris then Istanbul for the train to Budapest. I am very excited!!!.
My point... Do you think Agistri offers something different to Santorini? Or maybe Both????
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:26 PM

Perhaps consider Rhodes. Old Town of the City of Rhodes has been declared a World Heritage Site and though in March Greek waters are quite cold...Rhodes is known for warmer and sunnier weather.

There should be lots to occupy your time and you can daytrip if you like to some surrounding islands and Turkey as well.

Have Fun,
Naxos
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:51 PM

As March is still winter, high temperatures are likely to be mostly in the 50s F, perhaps a little higher some days. Going south to Rhodes or Crete for warmer weather is pointless, as temperatures will be only one or two degrees (F) higher. See http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/c...p3?c=GR&refer=

My suggestion would be to base your self in the Peloponnese, perhaps around Nafplio, where there are many historical sites within driving distance. Spend some time in Athens, which has much to see.

The islands will be very quiet. While musuems and archaeological sites are open year-round, hotels and restaurants catering to tourists will not open until April (for Greek Easter) or May. If you must go to an island, Crete will have the most to offer in March.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another thought would be Malta - beautiful, quiet in some areas and incredibly historic.

You can fly into Malta, there are 3 islands - the main island of Malta, sister island of Gozo which is much quieter and Comino which is tiny.

It may suit you. We loved our holiday there.

Kay
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 03:56 AM

You don't say WHEN in March you're planning to come – there can be quite a difference in temperature between the beginning and the end of the month, and on the islands there will be more activity towards the end, especially around Independence Day on the 25th. Islanders who have spent the winter in Athens will be returning and getting rooms ready for visitors. But it WILL be cold, especially in the evenings - if you go to an island you need to make sure you find somewhere with central heating! When we were teaching in London, we always went to the island of Sifnos in the school holiday at the end of March, beginning of April. Sometimes an artist friend, who was also a teacher, joined us (he's now given up teaching altogether! ) His paintings were wonderful – once he came in August too, but found that the intense light reflected from the white buildings made it just too difficult. You'll love Greece in the spring!