Reload this Page >

Paris Marathon, 2003: Message for Jan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 04:56 AM
Wendy

Hello Jan!<BR><BR>I've been trying to post a reply to your message but the link won't work...<BR><BR>I just wanted to thank you for the website information, it was very helpful! Would you believe that I just found out that one of my girlfriends in Paris, her boyfriend is one of the developers of the site... and I'm using one of the training schedules...?<BR><BR>I hope to see you in Paris for the race!<BR>Wendy

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 06:44 AM
Jan

Hi Wendy,<BR>I am glad you found it helpful. I think it is about as addictive as Fodors! Thank your friend's boyfriend for me!!<BR><BR>The Paris marathon is right around the time we are doing our move to Slovenia so I am still shooting for the Venice Marathon. Hmmm...6 months after Paris...maybe you will want to give it a go?! Let us know how Paris goes, regardless.<BR><BR>Good luck with your training...maybe I will see some of your posts on coolrunning!<BR>Cheers,<BR>Jan

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Wendy

Hello Jan!<BR><BR>Slovenia?! How gorgeous, a friend of mine did a hike there a few years ago and the pictures were incredible!<BR><BR>The Venice marathon...hmmm, are you for certain to do it? Do you have a web site that shows the route, and info? Let me guess, it is on cool running!<BR><BR>Best,<BR>Wendy<BR><BR>

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Jan

Hi Wendy,<BR>Nope, it is not on cool running! Unfortunately, their international coverage is not the best!<BR><BR>Here is the website. http://www.venicemarathon.it/<BR><BR>It is the last Sat. in October and this is 2002 information. But, the route and the weekend will be the same for 2003. We had considered Prague in May, but apparently, the organization is not the best and the crowd is not enthusiastic. I can't imagine that the Italians would be apathetic though! As far as organization goes...at least it is in Northern Italy ;-)<BR><BR>I have never run a marathon before and it is on my list of resolutions for 2003. What better place than a city that I love and could just wander around for hours. (in the case of a marathon...about 5!)<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR>Jan

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Melissa

Sorry to butt in, just wanted to let you know I am soooo jealous and wish I were doing the Paris marathon again!! It was really the best. <BR><BR>Jan, I did the Prague marathon last May and did not think it was so bad...it was a better value than Vienna. However, after I finished I found out that they had been recycling the water cups at the aid stations!!! <BR><BR>Anyway, good luck to both of you....have not decided on a running destination for 2003 yet.....

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 12:09 AM
Jan

Melissa,<BR>Thanks for the good wishes! Let us know which destination you choose. Hmmm...maybe Paris 2004 for me!<BR><BR>The cup recycling thing is so Eastern European! In Budapest, they recycled the urine collection cups in the maternity dept.! Yeoowww!<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR>Jan

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 06:28 AM
wendy

Thanks Jan!<BR><BR>I may have to consider Venice... that would take some doing as I can't imagine running over the cobblestones and bridges as I've never run a marathon before and Paris is somewhat even footing! But I can't imagine Venice being anything but glorious... you are for certain doing it?!<BR><BR>Melissa, what about Venice!?<BR><BR>I'm only doing 8 miles an hour right now and gettling much slower in my second hour of running, so I'll be finishing in 5 hours for sure! I just want to finish...*)<BR><BR>Wendy

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Melissa

Wendy, I spoke to my coach Chet, who did the Venice marathon. I asked him to post his Venice photos at www.teamjethawaii.com but he's lazy right now. BUT he said if you want, you can email him (I think you may have to email him twice) at [email protected].<BR><BR>No matter where you run, always, always avoid the cobblestones. I didn't think about this when I ran the paris marathon and by the time I got to mile 21, my knees were crying for mercy. On my subsequent marathons, I hop the curb and run on the sidewalk wherever possible!<BR><BR>Also don't worry about being slower in the 2nd half. My marathons are ALWAYS slower in the 2nd half. Everyone makes a big thing about 'negative splits' but me and many other people tend to go out fast and finish slow. Remember, at mile 26 you'll be tired anyway. You can always slow down, but it's harder to go faster!<BR><BR>Hmmm, you guys are tempting me. I don't have a Euromarathon in my plans for this year yet and Venice is far enough away......hmmmm......

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 12:28 AM
Jan

Hi Wendy (and Melissa!),<BR>Thanks for the notes on the Venice marathon. I looked up the route and it seems that only the end is in Venice proper...which is good. yes, the cobblestones worry me, as well. You actually start in the countryside on the mainland. I am a SLOW runner with a non-race pace of about 10-11 minutes/mile. My goal is to finish and be happy. I want to feel decent at the end so the 5 hour time frame doesn't worry me.<BR>Melissa, I would be very interested in looking at your coach's photos.<BR><BR>Wendy, as far as being certain doing Venice...I am 90% certain. The weather will be right (I hate the heat), location is good and I have the time to train. It is looking good!<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR>Jan

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:25 AM
wendy

I cannot believe I haven't even run my first marathon and you already have me thinking about doing Venice, I mean, why not!?<BR><BR>Melissa, I'd love to see your coach's photographs as well! Feel free to e-mail me directly.<BR><BR>Bonne Route!<BR>Wendy

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 11:19 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 10:45 PM
Melissa

I will ask to borrow his photos, scan them myself and email them to you? Cross our fingers!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 02:09 AM
Jan

Melissa,<BR>Thanks!!! That sounds great.<BR>Take care,<BR>Jan

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 02:45 AM
wendy

Yes! Thank you Melissa...<BR><BR>Okay Jan, I'm signing up for Venice! I hope you join in...<BR><BR>Best, Wendy

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 04:58 AM
Jan

Wendy,<BR>YAY! To &quot;know&quot; someone else there will be great. Email me occasionally to let me know who your training is going.<BR>Cheers,<BR>Jan

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 04:59 AM
Jan

Oops! HOW your training is going!<BR>Fumble fingers on the key board!<BR>Cheers,<BR>Jan

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 03:32 AM
Wendy

Hello Jan!<BR><BR>The training is only up to 10 miles a day with one day off, and I hope I can get enough time int he day to try for 12 before I go back to Paris!<BR><BR>What are you doing? I hope to see you in Venice!<BR><BR>Wendy

Old Nov 12th, 2003, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what marathons did you end up doing? If you did Paris, how was it? I am doing it in 2004.