Paris, negative travelogs

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2004, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for fun I was reading some of the previous Paris travel logs to mine for fun ideas and stumbled on more than one that describe Paris as a "dump" or going into intricate details of all the things that went wrong with their trip. I'm going to Paris again in September and have been there 4 times previously over the last 8 or 9 years. I have always LOVED Paris and was surprised to read some of these comments. The poo on the streets never really phased me... we actually just laugh about our poo-dodging technique.

But some of those posts were so specific and negative, it made me wonder, has the quintessential Parisian experience somehow changed? Are American tourists getting a shorter stick these days or more looked down upon, perhaps by our current administration's continuous debacles? Or maybe their Paris trip had one particularly negative experience that tainted the rest of the trip.

Anyway, I found myself actually questioning (only momentarily) whether we're doing the right thing going back in September, this time with the baby. I was seriously having second thoughts last night, or at least I was thinking, "Maybe Paris has changed."

Luckily my DH talked some sense into me... umm, food, architecture, art, culture, the Seine, food, art, food, art, food. He would have knocked me silly if I had said we shouldn't go to Paris again. (not literally, of course).

Anyway, this isn't so much a travel question as my own ramblings... I just worry about all the negative remarks I see on here and think that someone who has never travelled to France or Paris might otherwise decide not to go based on those few (but pretty awful) negative reviews. That would be a shame.
Old May 21st, 2004, 12:56 PM

We go to Paris at least once a year and have never had a truly bad experience. Paris is an old city and we never expected it to be pristine. We always start planning a return trip on our way back home.

We learned to dodge the doggy-doo while living in a small town in Scotland. We've had an arrogant waiter or two (would have been disaapointed if that were not the case). Paris is, like anylace else, whatever you make it. Some people expect other places to be the same as home - and they are often disappointed.

We will be in Paris for Thanksgiving and I'll have my birthday lunch at the Jules Verne. I can't wait.

Enjoy your trip and I'm certain you will once again LOVE Paris.
Old May 21st, 2004, 12:57 PM

I've only been to Paris once - last month - and haven't yet seen my friends who questioned why in the world I'd want to go there for all the negative reasons we seem to hear so frequently here in the U.S. I can't wait to to see them, and tell them how wonderful everything was, that I didn't find the city horribly dirty or with an awful smell, and that I didn't have a single negative experience with any of the locals, and the ones I had contact with were all friendly and helpful, even when they spoke limited English, and dealing with my limited French.
Old May 21st, 2004, 12:59 PM

Paris is Paris.

Some people honestly don't "love it" the way most here (myself included) do. Other people aren't happy anywhere, with anything, and thrive on finding fault. Stick with your plans!
Old May 21st, 2004, 01:12 PM

I think some people write things like that to provoke, but I realize that many really do feel the exact way they've written and dislike Paris a lot. I don't really care that much what other people think, frankly, as I know there are places I dislike that others adore (ie, Amsterdam and Vienna) -- partly circumstantial, probably, partly just preferences and tastes. I had read a lot of negative things about Madrid and was not expecting much when I went for the first time recently, but figured how bad can it be for four days with those great museums, Rioja wine, and some good classical guitar music around. Well, I really liked Madrid a lot, although maybe not as much as my two favorite cites (Paris and Prague).

In any case, no place is what it used to be, really, don't you agree? Any place that is the same as 20 years ago is probably not a place you are going to want to go. I don't like it that Paris has changed since I started going (about 15 years ago), mainly in the proliferation of some fast-food or chain restaurants, and the disappearance of some cafes (ie, the Cafe Cluny being replaced by some pizza joint). But, you can't stop time and Paris still is a lot better than many cities in terms of preservation, beauty, etc.

I have never even noticed the dog poop that much, I am always surprised that people yak on and on about that so much.
Old May 21st, 2004, 01:14 PM

We continue to go to Paris as often as we can and always have a wonderful time. I have had nearly all positive experiences with the French people and encourage you to go and have a wonderful time. I never recognize our experiences in Paris when I read the negative trip reports. And I feel sorry for those that have had anything but a wonderful time in Paris.
Old May 21st, 2004, 01:25 PM

"...we actually just laugh about our poo-dodging technique." "We learned to dodge the doggy-doo while living in a small town in Scotland."

I didn't realize this was something to be learned. Please share.
Old May 21st, 2004, 01:33 PM

This positive thread might inspire you on your next trip:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34434275
Old May 21st, 2004, 02:45 PM

I visited Paris for the first time as a teenager and was entranced. I was there three weeks ago and it is still, for me, the most magical city I have ever visited. In between, I have been there over twenty times.

If you search the board on any major city in Europe, you will find positive and negative posts about all of them. Some people adore Amsterdam; personally, I think it?s an interesting city, but it has never grabbed my heart and soul in the smallest amount. I have visited three times on business, but always grab the first train south to Paris. If you want really negative reviews, search on Madrid ? a lot of people HATE it. I like (not love) the city, I prefer Barcelona, but always take the opportunity to spend a few days there when the opportunity arises.

Paris is a living, breathing commercial metropolis with all the problems that go with that: pollution, noise, crowds and certainly more doggie poop than you might find anywhere else. The doggie poop problem, which is far less than it was BTW, does not bother ME in the least, as I have two dogs and I have stepped in worse in my own kitchen, when I neglected to bring the brats for their last walk. To me, doggie poop on the streets is more positive than negative, as it is an indication of just how much the Parisians love their dogs, something we have in common, and I have often sat in restaurants, chatting with mutts and their owners.

I think the challenge with Paris is that there is SO much hype around it that a first time traveler is expecting Nirvana and it is NOT that. People go, for the first time, expecting so much that they are inevitably going to be disappointed. I don?t think any city in the world has been portrayed as they quintessential European capital to the same extent as Paris has. Rome, perhaps, comes close.

I have read the negative posts and there IS usually some truth in the experiences. These people are not being negative just to BE negative, most are giving an honest account of what they saw and, mostly, felt. I often giggle and think ? yes, that has happened to me, but similar experiences have not altered my affection for the city.

Perhaps Paris was not for them and never will be a place that grabs their heart and soul. Perhaps they need to visit another three or four times before the city speaks to them. Perhaps the city will never touch them as it does me. Perhaps they will love Madrid more than I do. Perhaps they will land in Paris and take the first train north to Amsterdam, the city of their hearts.

This is good! It displays the diversity of this board. Wouldn't it be really boring if we were all enthralled by the same city?

Regards Ger
Old May 21st, 2004, 03:09 PM
dln

skatterfly, when will you be in Paris? My husband and I will be there towards the end of the month! (Yes we love Paris and are undeterred.)

Old May 21st, 2004, 03:17 PM

Re: <i>The poo on the streets never really phased me...</i>

Well it phased me. It prompted me to enter what my shrink called my <i>merde de chien avoidance</i> phase.
Old May 21st, 2004, 03:26 PM

While it is true that it may be boring if we all liked the same city, I can't imagine anyone not loving Paris. Our first trip there was in 2002 and we are returning in 25 days (I am counting). The art, the buildings, the people (even when peeing on the buildings), the history and yes the &quot;poo&quot; all make it what it is. It is truly the greatest city I have ever visited.
Old May 21st, 2004, 03:28 PM

No matter how wonderful a place is to most people to others it will be a dump. It doesn;t mean the place is different - just that people have different backgrounds, expectations, needs and hot buttons. (I know for the US board that there are a ton of people - adults, not going for their kids, that just love orlando - and I don;t get it at all - you couldn;t pay me enough to go there.)

If you loved Paris before I don;t think you will love it any less now.
Old May 21st, 2004, 03:35 PM

Shouldn't that be <i>peux</i>?

I love Paris and have never had a bad time there in five visits.
Old May 21st, 2004, 05:35 PM

The really great thing about your planned trip is that you are going in early August. I have visited Paris every year or so since I was 17 (and I am now 51) but the best time I ever had was an August sojourn. We stayed in friends' (3000 square foot) vacant apartment in the 7th -- rue Cognacq Jay. The pace was so much slower than usual: We sunned on the quais, ate in half-empty restaurants, lounged around the Left Bank and Ile de la Cite. Paris en fete -- I loved it.

I shall be on my own honeymoon that same week -- and moving house, as it happens. I think you have the better plan. All the best......

Old May 21st, 2004, 05:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
When you read the negative posts about Paris, you will always see a lot of responses posted by people who love Paris and can't imagine anyone feeling otherwise. So for each negative comment, you probably have a dozen positive ones. In fact, the people who don't love Paris can become intimidated by the rush to defend the city which follows any post people perceive as critical.

I actually find it refreshing to read the critical posts, which frequently are not as negative as their headings imply, but which reflect the reality that not every travel experience is perfect. If we read the about the bad experiences as well as the good ones, our expectations become more realistic and we are less likely to be disappointed in our own adventures.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 03:16 AM

As long as you disregard the Corrupt govt. and their policies France is a great vacation,we have been there 3 times.All the other negative myths about the people etc. are nonsense.As a matter of principle we will not return until Chirac and his cronies are gone,they shouldn't last too much longer.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 04:59 AM

&quot;Some people honestly don't &quot;love it&quot; the way most here (myself included) do. Other people aren't happy anywhere, with anything, and thrive on finding fault. Stick with your plans!&quot;

And some people become go brain-dead pollyannas, who accept garbage and mumble &quot;thank you&quot; to when kicked in the face.

They are so defensive that they immediately attack anyone who says anything negative. This is a sure indication that at some level of consciousness, they know that they are lying to themselves. Otherwise, they would just let the negative comments go as a difference of opinion. But they just can't do that, can they.

Old May 22nd, 2004, 05:57 AM
ira

Hi skatterfly,

We have found Paris to be far more tourist friendly than it was when we first went there in 1984.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 06:12 AM

Some people just aren't cut out for traveling. An aquaintance complained about not being able to get a pizza delivered to the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -