eastern crete -Elounda?

Old Feb 1st, 2014, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eastern crete -Elounda?

I plan to spend a few days in Santorini with my 18 year old and would also like to spend about 4 days in Crete. My daughter wasn't so taken with western Crete as she was with the beauty of Elounda, etc. The hotels there look simply gorgeous and have that amazing WOW factor. My question is whether there is enough to do other than just chilling on the beaches. We'd like to have some adventures as well -whether shopping or hiking or boat trips to smaller islands. Neither of us are really into ruins, but love exploring, etc...

Thanks!
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 12:37 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We didn't go to eastern Crete as my Greek friends discouraged us from heading that way, recommending the west side. The resort looks nice but what else will you do or experience?
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

I don't know. That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out.
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 04:08 PM

It's not near the east side of the island, of course, but you might consider hiking the Samaria Gorge on the south coast. We didn't get there, but by all accounts it is spectacular. Google it for pictures and information about when it is open. Also, we enjoyed a morning at the Botanical Garden of Crete, just south of Chania. A nice walk amidst lovely plantings. The Rough Guide for the Greek Islands also has some nice driving routes mapped out along the coast west of Chania and up into the mountains. Exciting driving, but doable, in my experience. Also, I think there are boat trip\snorkeling opportunities on the north coast. Plenty to do, and Crete is very beautiful.
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 02:57 AM

If you decide to stay in Elounda, it makes no sense to make daytrips to Chania, which is 210 km away from Agios Nikolaos.

Even if you don't like ruins, you could visit the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion and Knossos.

From Elounda there are trips to the small island of Spinalonga, and also organized tours to other parts of Crete.
Agios Nikolaos, the village of Kritsa and the Lassithi Plateau are nearby, and if you drive further to the east you can visit the beach of Vai ( the one with the palm trees), the Monastery of Toplou and Chrissi Island ( a small island south of Ierapetra with fabulous beaches)

Crete is not just Chania, it is a wonderful island with lots to do and see.