Search

Crete or Rhodes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crete or Rhodes

I've been looking at the Gate1 packages that have been suggested. Looks like in March '05 we can fly & stay in Athens 4 days for $600pp or so. I've contacted Gate1 about the possibility of extending our stay.

WE have a timeshare week, so we'd like to see Athens, go to Crete or Rhodes for a week and then back to Athens to fly home. Which one? They both sound wonderful.

We want to use our time well. Would it be easier to get to and from Athens from one of these than the other? Should travel time between islands be an issue?

All comments and info would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 01:43 AM

I did a similar trip last year we loved Crete and did the time share thing (RCI)we flew in and out of Crete . Rhodes is the furthest island from Athens you can ferry to santorini for a long day trip from Crete. The leoniki is a great RCI place to stay . make sure you get to Athens 1 day before your depature to home the weather somtime will effect the ferries and the planes off the Islands it depends what time of year you are going .
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 12:46 PM

My family and I visited Rhodes in 2003 and Crete in 2004. We loved both islands but we definately preferred Crete but is is a large island. You can visit most places in Rhodes during your week but if you choose Crete (which I would every time) I would stay in the west as this is a beautiful part of the island. Find time to visit Elafonisi which has stunning beaches and beautiful warm water. Both Chania and Rethymon are nice places to visit. As you can tell we loved Crete although we loved Lindos in Rhodes also. Wherever you go - enjoy !!!
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 08:09 PM

Ooh, that is a tough one.

Personally (and no disrespect to anyone with the opposite opinion), I would probably choose Crete. Although that depends on what type of experience you are looking for. My personal experience with the 2 islands is that Crete seemed much more of what I expected to find as part of "traditional" Greece. Iraklion is a nice, modern city that we really enjoyed. Knossos was a very interesting and amazing ruin (and there are apparantly a few more see that are even better. we unfortunately did not have the opportunity) Chania is really neat--the Venetian architecture, restaurants and things to see are very unique. We enjoyed hiking the Samaria Gorge as well (and swimming in the Libyan sea at the end).

Rhodes, while very visually stunning, reminded me of a lot of the places we enjoy going to in Mexico. Rows of huge hotels, crowds of people on the beach and people selling stuff everywhere. I agree with the previous poster, that Lindos is great and we really enjoyed Old Town Rhodes--but our experience in Rhodes was a bit more of the "tacky tourist" experience. Not that there is anything wrong with that--we try to enjoy a yearly soujourn to a Mexican resort to relax and be tourists, but that, for me, was not what I wanted to do in Greece.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time on both islands, and I guarantee that you will have a wonderful trip, no matter what you choose. There is so much to see in Greece that it is hard to make a decision!

PS: If you need accomodation info, we stayed at the Lato in Iraklion, Porto del Columbo in Chania and the Mediterranean in Rhodes. All were great and I would recommend any of them.

Old Oct 7th, 2004, 02:03 PM

Crete!!! second choice Karpathos.