Crete or Rhodes

Sep 26th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Crete or Rhodes

We will be visiting Greece next May and would like to spend 3-4 days on either Crete or Rhodes. Which island?

Thanks!
Sep 26th, 2006, 10:33 AM

Crete if only because it's got more variety than any other Greek Island
Sep 26th, 2006, 11:35 AM

Crete. With the exception of teh Malia area (easily avoided) it has fewer drunken tourists
Oct 2nd, 2006, 09:51 AM

If you are traveling after September, Rhodes will not have many drunks for you to contend with (I've been 4 times in November) and have seen none. Most of these people are students on a package tour and are back in school. Crete has a little more variety, but Rhodes has good links to Turkey and the other nearby islands: Symi, Kos, etc. Either is a wonderful place to visit.
Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:11 AM

Rhodes is a lovely island but Crete is outstanding.
Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:24 PM

We visited Rhodes and Crete in July. I loved Rhodes, (especially the walled Old Town and Lindos) and found it very exotic and intriguing. However, I also loved Crete, especially Chania with its vibrant old harbor, and twisty side sreets full of wonderful small tavernas. Anyway, pick whichever one works best with your itinerary. They are both fabulous choices!
Oct 5th, 2006, 03:55 AM

Crete is a beautiful island but I'm afraid you will not have enough time to see its beauty. It is a huge island and the distances are long.
On the other hand Rhodes is also an amazing island with a great history and a style of her own. I think it is the best choice for a 4 days staying.
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:00 AM

Have not been to Rhodes. We just returned from 10 days in Crete and it is a beautiful island with lots to see. The beaches are lovely and, the interior is spectacular. Chania is a charming Ventian Port. We even spent 2 nights in Herkalion and found that to be enjoyable too. In just 3-4 days you won't get to really enjoy all of what Crete has to offer, but it could sure give you an introduction. Suggest you stay in Chania and do a couple day trips from there. We stayed at the Casa Leone which is right on the Harbor and a really nice place.
Oct 5th, 2006, 02:06 PM

Been to borth. No contest. Crete hands down. Yes Rhodos town is great and so is Lindos but no comparison to Chania etc. Crete is less touristy and way better food!. won't let me edit! or my delete key just died!teG
Oct 6th, 2006, 11:37 AM

Chania is lovely, but I really don't think if compares to Rhodes Town or Lindos. I have stayed at Casa Leone and it is a lovely, Venetian style mansion right on the harbor. Chania is a really small town and can be done in 2 days tops. The medieval town alone could keep you busy several days. I like Crete but I wouldn't just go to Chania, I would go to Knossos, and the other Minoan sites. I also like Iraklion because it has a lot more to do than Chania.
Oct 6th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Syl

Crete, Crete & more Crete. Based in Chania, a day gorge walk (Imbros or Samaria),a day Elafonissi Beach,a day Knossos.
Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We decided to extend our time to do both islands and spend a little less time on Santorini.

Search this Thread