Where to go this August?

Oct 31st, 2005, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Where to go this August?

I have the opportunity to take most (and perhaps all) of the month of August off next summer. My wife and I are toying with the possibility of renting a place in one location for 3-4 weeks so we can really saturate ourselves in local life. If you could spend that amount of time in one place, keeping in mind that it will be August and all that means for travel in Europe, where would you go?

I should note that last summer we spent a fair amount of time in Switzerland and Lake Como, and previously we did a three week trip to Paris/the Dordogne/Riviera in France. We have toured through Tuscany (many years ago), and more recently have been skiing in the Austrian and Italian Alps. We are thinking about Spain (perhaps the Costa Brava or Majorca) although I am hesitant about the summer crowds.

So Fodorites, put on your thinking caps and share your ideas!
Oct 31st, 2005, 11:02 AM

Scandinavia? Or Greece?
Oct 31st, 2005, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Oct 31st, 2005, 12:43 PM

If it was me, it would need to be warm but not boiling, and not overcrowded.

Paris or Rome?

Actually I wouldn't go to a city, but how about one of the Baltic islands? Or one of the Danish islands? Or Brittany?

And Edinburgh for the Festival.
Oct 31st, 2005, 12:58 PM
ira

Hi N,

I suggest that you go back to the Dordogne (crowded in August) or go the the mountains up where Switzerland borders Italy.

Oct 31st, 2005, 01:03 PM

I would rent a cottage along the Danish Riviera. Great people, weather, and pastries. I would walk to the beach every morning and take a dip in the clear, cool water of the sound. When I wanter to "go Viking", I could take a boat over to Sweden and open a can of whoop-ass on those dang Swedes.
Oct 31st, 2005, 02:34 PM

I was also thinking that renting a cottage in Cornwall could be lovely.
Oct 31st, 2005, 02:42 PM

Oops - that should read "wanted" instead of "wanter". I blame the three martini lunch.
Nov 2nd, 2005, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Any other ideas?
Nov 2nd, 2005, 02:17 PM

If it were me, I would want to avoid stifling heat and some of the crowds, which would mean that I would want to avoid the coasts. Have you considered Bavaria? There are plenty of towns off the beaten tourist path, lots of beautiful scenery and things to do, and the apartments are plentiful and very well priced (we stayed in a wonderful one outside of Berchtesgaden for about 350 euro for the whole week), especially when compared to Italy or some other countries.

Good luck!
Tracy
Nov 2nd, 2005, 02:43 PM
CU

Sure there is only one place on earth that anyone can spend a month and still want to come back for more. Ireland of course.(www.ireland.travel.ie).
(www.irelandvacations.com) and for a little price you can take a quick trip across to England or a trip over to the Aran Islands.