Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which is the best place to go in W. Europe for a week in Aug?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I would love to go to Europe in August but couldn't decide which city as we only have a week. We would like to go somewhere that's not like a madhouse full of tourists and unbearably hot. We're into relaxation, taking a leisurely pace checking on sights, etc., love good food & wine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Believe it or not, August is the absolutely least crowded and cheapest month for hotels in Paris. (February is 2nd, and the worst months are September and October.)

And August is a great month to visit the city.

As for the heat, it's a toss up.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:11 PM

Brittany? (parts of it anyway)
Steiermark/Styria? We did a August vacations in that part of Austria and had a terrific time doing exactly what you have planned in Graz and the beautiful villages and mountains. However, one year it was quite hot and the next year it wasn't hot, but they had severe flooding. Oh well, nothing in life is perfect.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Pausanias

Scotland worked for us. It's a little late to get a place for Edinburgh, which is quite crowded in August. But if you want to visit the highlands and islands I think you'll be pleased.

We're trying Brittany and Normandy this August, but we expect crowds, especially at Mont St Michel.

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:43 PM

I absolutely second Paris as the go-to destination in Europe in August. It is simply delightful, most of the restaurants down in the Latin Quarter are busy, (not closed) the bars are a beehive of activity, people are in the best of moods, light traffic, no crowds, virtually all shops open, in short, it is what you want out of Paris for the entire year-but what you really only get in August.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:57 PM

I agree hotel occupancy is low in Paris in August, thus many discounts, but that's due to lesser business travel. There may be fewer tourists, also, I'm not sure, but I still think it is pretty crowded at usual tourist sites, and of course, it can be hot. It's not likely to be unbearably hot, though, I don't think any place in Europe is until you get to the south, like Italy, Greece, southern Spain, etc.

I guess it's not a madhouse, though, and it is leisurely because a lot of people are on vacation so things are slower. That's true of a lot of cities, I think. It is definitely not what I want out of Paris all year, though, because it's a lot duller and there isn't as much going on. All of the major performing arts venues are closed, no ballet, no concerts at places like Theatre des Champs-Elysees, etc. That is very important to me. I've encountered the same thing in other capital cities; it's just a pattern for the arts.

I live in Wash DC, for example, and it's a real snooze in August and hotel occupancy is lower, also (a friend who works for Marriott says both July-August are much lower occupancy here). I wouldn't suggest it because it is hot, though.

I think any place that isn't a super tourist destination is unlikely to be a madhouse in August or anytime. I've been to London in August because I like the BBC Proms (one of the few great music events in August, when it's hard to find decent concerts, ballet, etc.) and found it a very pleasant time to visit London. I wouldn't say it was any madhouse of tourists in August, but the only place I think of like that is some beach resort in August (eg, Cote d'Azur).
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:07 PM

My hubby and I "did" Switzerland a few years ago, in August, and enjoyed low crowds, sunny days and cool nights--flowers everywhere...etc. We both agreed that when we return, August will def. be the month! We're in our early 30's, but still, wanted a relaxing vacation with natural beauty. The Lauterbrunnen Valley/Berner Oberland region was a suggestion I received here on Fodors, and it did not disappoint. There's hiking, hang gliding, white-water rapids, trains to other nearby beatiful places. In the valley alone, we had views of snowcapped peaks and over 30 waterfalls! The country is small enough, you can buy a train pass and see almost all of the main cities in the 3 regions, experiencing French, Italian and Germanic cultures all in one!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:38 PM

How about Turin?

The food and wine are fantastic, you can escape the heat by going into the mountains or heading to the Ligurian coast.

I would suggest getting accommodations within easy driving distance of Turin, rent a car but also stay in a countryside locale that has access via public transportation to Turin.

Spend part of your vacation in the city (maybe the first 2 nights? Be sure to go to the cinema museum!) and then spend the rest of your time exploring the great wineries and beautiful countryside.

I love Switzerland, and it's a great destination for August, but I don't like Swiss food.

Another great food and wine destination in Belgium. I would pick Antwerpen to stay in, and do day trips via train to Ghent and other intersting places.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:59 PM

Paris may be empty, but it is WAY too hot for me in August. The entire population of France, Italy & Spain appear to take the month of August off, so I generally find there is a trade-off between "not too hot" and "tourist throngs".

For the last two years I have visited the Aosta area (drive from Turin) up to the boarder with France and the Dolomites (drive from Milan or Venice)in July/August. Both were wonderfully cool and not too many tourists either.

This year, I am trying a weekend in Brittany in July and Galicia in August (it WILL be full of Spanish tourists, but I am hoping its at least relatively cool.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all your suggestions. They're so very helpful. We haven't made a final decision yet but are leaning on going to Nice or Barcelona. Would these places be too much of a zoo? Is $1,100 a lot of $$ for a coach airfare/nonstop from NY to either of these destinations? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:27 PM
ira

Hi E,

Molvania, without a doubt.

See http://www.molvania.com/

Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:00 AM

I would not go to Nice or Barcelona in Ausut if you want to go someplace that's "not like a madhouse full of tourists and unbearably hot."
WHAT ARE YOU THINKING????
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:11 AM

I'd suggest Scandinavia: Stockholm or Oslo or Helsinki, even Copenhagen, though it is most southern.. or any of smaller but not less fabulous places in there. And Reykjavik. Winters are so long in Scandinavia that spring starts in May and summer is at its peak first in August, and the weather most stable: pleasant (low 70s, upper 60s), usually sunny, days still long. Scandinavian children go back to school at the end of August, so the cities would live their normal lifes by then, but most summer turists will be gone.