Greece: Worth it in August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine is turning 30 next year and wants several of us to go to Greece to celebrate. Because of her schedule, she's currently thinking of being in Greece around the second week in August (she hopes to be in England the previous week, and since she'll already be overseas...). My question: I know that Greece can get pretty hot, and I also know that August is when most Europeans go on vacation. Would it be worth it to go then? Or should I forgo this trip and try for another season later?

My friend has been, but I have not (although I'd love to go). I'm from Tennessee and hate even our winters, so pretty hot weather doesn't bother me, but lately we've had triple-digit highs, and with the humidity even I'm about to melt away! Ideally, I'd love to see Athens and at least one of the islands (trip would be about a week). My friend mentioned wanting to see Corinth as well.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Everywhere in Greece will be extemely crowded in August. It's the busiest month of the tourist season. Not just Europeans, but visitors from all over the world will be going there as well as to every other popular major European destination. No exceptions, there's no way to avoid the crowds. Since you're thinking of the Greek islands, if you plan to eat dinner between 5-8 PM it won't be too bad, but after that expect long waits for a table in a decent restaurant; they will be crowded until midnight.

Many people enjoy the busy season. Only you can decide if you will.

If you do decide to go then, be sure to have your hotels chosen and domestic (Greek) flight and room reservations confirmed by no later than June or you might not get what you want. Ferries will be full then too, so if you plan to move through the islands by ferry, advance purchase is not a bad idea.

Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input, brotherleelove. I'm not normally big on crowds (though I don't necessary hate them), but just need to decide if it's worth the tradeoff!
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:27 AM

jent103 my opinion is that you have a chance to visit Greece with friends and have a great time so go and have fun without worrying about crowds!!It will be part of the fun! i believe that we should grab any given opportunities and yes..maybe it would be best to go another time, but will you?

If you're used to hot temperatures don't worry about that then and usually August is a little bit less hot than July. The islands will be very crowded (Not ALL the islands though) but Athens will be almost empty if it's any consolation ;-)

Also as much as i love mykonos i wouldn't choose it for August.. it can get VERY VERY crowded..

Also during the week of 15th August ALMOST EVERYONE leaves Athens so that is the worst week of the year for the islands.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:47 AM

IF your friend wants company to celebrate with (and is not paying your way in order to have it), then maybe she might consider being flexible -- can she go to Greece first and THEN to England? That would at least put u in the first week of Aug, not the absolute crowded-est, Week #2.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

cristine & travelerjan - thanks for your input as well! My friend actually can't switch her plans. She used to live in the UK and is hoping to go back to help with a camp she used to be a counselor at, and camp is usually the first week of August. I have thought about asking her whether we could do Greece the week before camp - it sounds like that could be a bit better in terms of crowds, but even worse in terms of weather!
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 08:32 AM

The temperature difference between a week before and a week after "camp" in the middle of summer is not going to be significantly different. Neither are the crowds going to be noticeably larger, it's going to be crowded no matter when.........
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 09:46 AM

I wouldn't do it. Greece in August sounds terrible, and it isn't going to be cheap. I'd save my money and go at a better time. I've been to Greece, also, so it's not that I have no experience with the country, but in early October when it was very pleasant (and still not that cool, you didn't need a jacket or anything, and could swim).

That sounds like a very expensive little birthday present for your friend, but not a good use of your money.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 01:29 PM

If the second week of August is the only time you can visit Greece, go for it!

One of the posters wrote "Also during the week of 15th August ALMOST EVERYONE leaves Athens...", so at least it won't be crowded there, but it will be hot.

The islands will be busy, that is true, especially the ones easily reached from Athens. Those of us who have an option prefer June or September, and some of us are a lot older than 30. As a younger person you might enjoy the buzz of the busy season.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! After hearing all your opinions, I'm leaning towards going, because, well, I just don't have the opportunity very often. Temperatures right now don't look much different than home, and with these girls, it could be a great trip no matter the crowds. However, I still have awhile before I need to decide anything, and will do some research on prices before I do.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 03:17 PM

Isn't August when the Meltemi winds are at their supposed "worst?"
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 03:41 PM

If I were just planning my own trip, then I would choose another time - which is one of the reasons I haven't been to Greece or Italy yet, because I can't go at other times at this point in my life - LOL.

But since this is for a friend's birthday, I would go. I find that these sorts of opportunities to travel with friends don't come along that often, so you've got to grab them when they do.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 03:55 PM

jent103--If I were in your shoes, I would go. You are young and I'm sure you can withstand the heat and the crowds.

I would try to spend more time on some of the Greek isles rather than in Athens.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 04:31 PM

jent103,

It's going to be very hot, expensive, and crowded. That said, it's a beautiful country with warm, kind, welcoming people.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 06:11 PM

OK, go, but ask her if you might go the week BEFORE her camp thing... that would make it the last week in July, and actually WOULD be better -- both a bit less crowded, and not quite as hot.

She ought to agree to that... after all it does seem to be mostly about her.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Well, she's hardly forcing any of us to go! But it is her big birthday, and the rest of us are fairly flexible on times, at least in the summer.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 10:37 PM

Dukey wrote: "Isn't August when the Meltemi winds are at their supposed "worst?" That is true, by a small margin - Jul and Sep winds are nearly as strong. Meltemi winds affect mainly the Cyclades and Crete. Other islands, eg Ionian, aren't affected at all. While the Meltemi occasionally is strong enough to cancel ferries, it also makes the islands cooler than the mainland.

Jent103 wrote: "Well, she's hardly forcing any of us to go!" Neither are the thousands of other holidaymakers forced to go. August is the most popular month for Greek Island holidays. Many go in Aug because that's when their school and office holidays are, but they could always go somewhere else if they wanted.

I arrived on the islands last year on Aug 20th. It was still very busy, but I had a ball! Having said that, it was a relief when the crowds began to thin.