First time in Greece. Corfu or Mainland?

Old Mar 19th, 2019, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time in Greece. Corfu or Mainland?

Hey, few friends and I are taking a week out in August and thinking to go explore Greece, but we're not sure where to start. We have a few ideas and I hope you can answer my questions.

First of all, has anyone of you been to Greece in August? Is it going to be enjoyable? or waaay too hot?
Secondly, we can't decide between choosing one island to go road tripping, like Corfu or exploring the Mainland. What would be your choice for the first time in a sunny country?

Lastly, I heard rumors that Corfu is not the nicest island.. full of rubbish and all. So if you were to explore just one island, where'd u go?

Regards to our travel interests - we are up for anything, ready to dive head-first to all local cultural experiences.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 04:49 AM

Can’t say I’ve ever been to Corfu, but I sincerely doubt the island is full of rubbish. Since Greece has over 200 inhabited islands and a huge mainland you don’t have to limit your choice to just that one. What is true is all the islands are very busy in August because that is the month when most Europeans except Scandinavians take their holidays.

Yes, I have been to Greece many times in August, and yes, it gets very hot on the mainland. You don’t give away much about your interests, but on the islands in August you will probably see more other foreigners than Greeks. For “local cultural experiences” if you happen to be there on August 15th, that is Assumption Day, the biggest summer holiday in Greece. If you are on the islands you and the thousands of other visitors will enjoy the local festivities.

I wonder if if apart from the heat, August would be a good time to visit the mainland? There are far more historical sites than on the islands, and it won’t be so crowded.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 06:37 AM

Yes, there is a serious rubbish problem on Corfu. Landfill is full, so garbage bags have been piling up all over the place. It was a particular problem during summer peak season last year. There have been scuffles and protests over this. The EU has been fighting with Athens to get the problem solved. At some point, I am sure it will be resolved, but I would not take a chance on going this season. Corfu is an absolutely beautiful island with lots of unspoiled territory. We were there once off a cruise ship, hired a private driver to show us the island, and we loved it and have always wanted to return.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 06:52 AM

I travel to Greece in October so don't have first-hand knowledge of the weather or crowds for August. But from research and lots of other travelers August will be hot and most areas will have lots of tourists.

I haven't been to Corfu so can't comment on it but there are numerous other islands and the mainland to choose from.

You'll get lots of recommendations for where to go. However, what one person likes may not be what you like. In the end you have to choose what's best depending on your interests. More research on your part is probably the best thing you can do.

Check out this wonderful website on travel to Greece:

https://www.greecetravel.com/
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 07:47 AM

I've visited Corfu, Crete and mainland. Corfu is beautiful, but it did look somewhat neglected. Maybe not outright dirty, but neglected.
It's definitely a good choice for August, as it is noticeably colder than mainland.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would go to Rodos instead. Do some research on Rodos.

Thin
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 12:16 PM

It's true that Corfu has a problem with rubbish this period. Until August the problem might be solved though.
​​​​​​I would propose Rhodos and one very beautiful island but not party island is Mytilene Lesvos. Not crowded at all nice food sightseeing, perfect prices but a lot of driving if you want to see it all
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 12:43 PM

Yes, I’ve now read about the ongoing rubbish problem on Corfu, apparently partly caused by a dispute over a new landfill site. Hopefully it will be resolved before summer.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 01:27 PM

The problem with rubbish in Corfu will not be resolved easily and certainly not before August...
The problem is with the population of Southern Corfu who doesn't allow the new landfill in Lefkimmi to be build.
This has divided all inhabitants of the island since that dispute is going on since 2008.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 02:03 PM

Sorry to hear that, Clausar. As I recall, Corfu is your home island.

Unfortunately rubbish disposal is a problem on many islands. In the Cyclades, for example, rubbish from all the Small Cyclades islands is brought to the landfill site on Naxos.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 02:23 AM

Yes, i am originally from Corfu Town and always love returning to my island
Corfu is not the only problem of this kind in Greece... The most famous example is Athens, where the main landfill will have to close soon
The new landfills that should be already in use now are still not ready due to the incredible polemic from the locals in Keratea ( South Attica)
and Grammatiko near Marathon ( NE Attica).
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

What a great insight, thank you all for contributing! Sorry to hear that rumors about Corfu were true, although I am pretty sure I'd like to still visit it at some point.
Will read more into Rhodes but at the minute we're probably leaning towards flying into Athens and then exploring the mainland by car.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 04:32 AM

My friend has recently come back from a trip to Corfu and said she was in a light shock on how neglected the place looked. So yeah, maybe best to look at other Greek destinations, considering its your first trip to Greece
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for contributing Emily, any other places you could suggest?
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 08:12 AM

Haven't traveled to Greece myself yet, but I'd probably choose to explore mainland for my first trip there.