August Vacation - Greece?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all: I'm new to this site. My husband, two boys (ages 20 and 18), and myself, as well as my brother and his family (two girls, 22 and 20) want to plan an August trip to Europe, preferably to Greece. I've heard recently that this is a bad time to visit Greece - that there are many places closed because most of the country is on vacation and the tourist spots are very crowded. Can anyone tell me if this is true? If not Greece, does anyone have any suggestions for travel in Europe (ten days) in August? We have already been to France, Belgium, Netherlands, Poland, and (some of us) Denmark and Sweden. What about Italy, is it the same scenario as Greece? Thanks!!!

Joanne
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 08:17 PM

Crowds and heat are the norm just about anywhere you travel to in Europe in August. I've been to Greece and Italy in that month and it was *much* more comfortable in Greece (specifically the islands) than in Italy.

I didn't have any trouble with places being closed, but I don't have extensive knowledge of the mainland. Athens, everything was available although many places were closed a specific day of the week.

The islands are where everyone is, but don't let that stop you. Book ahead and be sure to visit one or two of the less popular islands to get a slice of traditional life. My favorites are Astipalea and Amorgos (although these, too, will be crowded in Aug). Get a good travel book specific to Greece; the islands, even better.

Note that I love Italy, so I'm not playing favorites. But Greece is a beautiful place to idle away 10 fantastic days. Don't over-travel either - Athens and two islands tops.

Regards, Bruce
Greece Travel Photos -- http://www.brucegcollier.com/galleri...level2_all.htm
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 08:23 PM

bg_collier has it right, it's hot and busy everywhere in Europe. Greece's no exception. Everything will be open. Even if some Greeks are on vacation then there are plenty more ready and willing to serve you, house you, feed you, drive you, and take your money in any number of ways. I do recommend that wherever you go in Greece you make sure your rooms have A/C. It's a luxury you will appreciate fully in August. Be sure to have confirmed reservations for everything, and if you're so motivated now, Aegean Airlines is offering reduced fares for next summer between Athens and the islands and Athens and Italy. Check out their website:

http://www.aegean-air.gr/aegeanen/home/
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 08:31 PM

Hi Joanne

Does it really have to be August? Crazy time to do Europe! The Europeans are on holiday so there is a mass migration to all the holiday spots. Crowds, heat, double the prices etc. What about early September? It's fantastic on the Greek islands.

Just my 10 cents worth.

See ya

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Excellent advise from bg_collier and brotherleelove2004; especially don't over-travel and book a room with an air-conditioner if travelling in summer!

Greece is an excellent choice for a summer holiday! We spent 2 glorious weeks in Greece last July along with our 2 teenagers. We loved it so much we are planning on going back summer 2007. I would say this was one of our best trips ever and we have travelled extensively.

Our trip was broken into 5 nights in Crete, 4 in Santorini and 3 in Athens. Each destination was very diverse and offered many things to do for everyone.

We did not experience any closures that aren't common in other large European cities, such as knowing what days the museums are closed etc.

Yes the tourist destinations can be crowded, parthenon was when we visited, but so was the Collesium in Rome (April), Tower of London (Feb), Eiffel Tower (Sept), Prado Museum (Dec), Anne Frank House (May). My point is tourist destinations are usually crowded no matter what time of year you visit.

Yes Athens was hot in July, 2 of the days we visited topped 40 degrees. We managed the heat by sightseeing early morning and taking a siesta in an air-conditioned room for a few hours.

You don't really notice the heat on the Islands as you can take a dip in a pool or the sea and by early afternoon on shore breezes are usually blowing in. I was worried about hikng the Samaria Gorge (Crete) during the height of summer but it was very pleasant. In fact the hike was one of our highlights. It was one of the most amazing, picturesque hikes I have ever been on (and I grew up in the Cdn Rockies)!

I just cannot say enough about Greece. The people were extremely friendly and outgoing, food outstanding, each place we visited so unique and interesting, and once you are there, excellent value for $ over many other European cities.

Good luck in your travel planning.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Hi All: Thanks for all the comments. I think we are now going in very late May/early June for ten days, without my brother and family. Now, where do we start??? Travel agency? Websites? We're thinking of Athens, Santorini, Myconos, maybe another island? I'm a little overwhelmed. Thanks!
Joanne
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:18 PM

That's a much better time to go. In fact, I was there from May 12-June 9 last year. The weather was lovely, prices were lower than high season and it wasn't as crowded as mid-summer. You don't really need to use a travel agency. It's easy enough to make all your own reservations using the internet to research your choices. The hotels aren't full then, so if you REALLY want an adventure you can just show up on an island and bargain with the locals for a room using the businesses set up for that, or if you arrive by ferry there will be people at the docks soliciting rooms right then and there. How you go about managing your vacation just depends on your comfort level. I will say that 10 days is not much time, so limit yourselves to Athens and two islands. Personally I recommend you forget about Mykonos, but that's just my opinion. Paros and Naxos have more to offer and they're very close to Santorini. Don't forget to take a look at the Aegean Airlines website for possible bargains you could take advantage of.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:37 PM

was in Athens in July during the Track and Field Championships in '97. My company was based out of the Athena Hilton for several months. Hotel has a great service and a restaurant at the top with awesome views of the Acropolis. From what I remember, the food was pretty good too. Hilton is also a short jaunt to the Acropolis, other famous sites and the Plaka (old, shopping district) and well-worth your time if you like to shop and soak in the culture. Another shopping district worth checking out by cab is in Kifissia (sp?). I loved shopping there and it felt less touristy and a little more real. We had a local colleague who helped us out with restaurants, shopping and attractions. She took us to all the top-notch places... one restaurant worth visiting in the Plaka is called Daphnes. (Not like the Southern California Greek food chain.) It's the real deal and the food was wonderful. Hope it's still in business for you.

Regarding the islands, been to Hedros and Mykonos. Both were great, just depends on what you want to do with your boys - do they like nightlight or want to relax? If you're wanting to relax, I'd rec Santorini, but if you want some nightlife, I'd say Mykonos. We took a huge ship from the port - around a 4 hour trip. Made some stops along the way - so interesting.

Final tip... when taking a cab, research how much a fare will cost beforehand. And if you're being dropped at your hotel, make sure the bellman is outside to see you - some cab drivers get tricky and let you out across the street from your hotel and then ask for more money b/c of a "blah, blah" excuse. Just sit tight and request to be dropped at your hotel or say you don't understand and need to speak to the bellman at your hotel.

Wish I could remember more for you. Again, we had a local and she knew the language and where to go. Although, with all the books and websites available, I'm sure your trip will be great. Good luck to you!