Greece in August?

Search

Greece in August?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece in August?

My friend and I are considering a tour of Greece in August. Is the weather completely miserable around that time? We're from South Texas, so we're used to a little heat and humidity. How unbearable is the heat?
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 12:23 AM

It will be HOT! DH and I went last year, and Athens in September was worse than Atlanta (GA) in August--the sun was just merciless. We also went up toward Delphi, and at elevation things were a bit cooler (we didn't go to any islands).

More than once in the city, I had to cut my day short and return to the hotel to escape the sweltering heat. Evenings, of course, were cooler, but I would be still be drained by the day's heat.

The teeming crowds didn't help matters. Comfort-wise, it was abysmal. Still, the trip was worthwhile. I just wish we could have chosen a different time of year (DH was there on business).

Just be prepared for heat, and lots of it!
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 05:34 AM

I was in Greece for almost three weeks in August 2003 and although it was hot it wasn't too bad but I think everyone's heat tolerence varys greatly. I was driving around the Peloponeese and we spent a lot of time at the beach so maybe that helped. The one place we found uncomfortably hot was Monemvasia.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 06:15 AM

Hi,
I have not been to Greece in August, but I have been there in July when the temperature was 105. The air is dry, but it is hot. The mainland was the worst. Once you got to the islands, it was very pleasant. Also the mountains are cooler. You will not have the humidity of Texas. Think more Palm Springs.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 10:00 AM

From http://www.usatoday.com/weather/reso...ece-athens.htm

August average highs in Athens, 88ºF.
Average lows, 72ºF.

Average dew point, 58ºF, which calculates out to 38% relative humidity.

Having been in Greece in August, I never found it "unbearable" or "miserable", even in mid-day. The warmer nights are lovely.