Study Abroad in Florence?

Oct 25th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Study Abroad in Florence?

Hey Everyone,
I'm a college student looking into studying abroad sometime next year. I've been fortunate to be able to travel to Europe three times and across much of America. I've been to Florence twice, but a while ago, and am wondering what people think about studying there. Is it too American/touristy? Is there another Italian city people suggest? Thanks a lot!
Brendan
Oct 25th, 2005, 01:27 PM

I just came back from Florence today. Great city, but too crowed and touristy. Yes, it's too american. I have never seen so many of them in such a short time in Europe. Expensive and loud, if you want to party it may be o.k. for you. To study I can't think of many places worse. Any German town is a 1000 times better in that respect.
Oct 25th, 2005, 01:45 PM

Hi Brenlowe!

I don't know if this helps but my daughter-in-law spent one semester in Florence many years ago and loved it. My friend's daughter recently did one summer in Urbino and wanted to stay in Italy for the rest of her life. Neither one mentioned tourists when talking about their experiences.

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.
Oct 25th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Florence is only crowded and touristy if you limit yourself to the tourist center, a small part of the city. It is full of art and history. It is a great hub for visiting other parts of Italy as well.
Oct 25th, 2005, 02:42 PM

I just spent the Spring Semester studying in Florence. I had the most amazing time there. Truth is, no matter where you study arboad, you will have the best time.

Florence has a large student population, which appealed a lot to me. It was very nice having American students to go out with. It can be a big scene if you want that, a certain club each night of the week, or it can be more laid back going to other bars.

Another thing to consider is that the city empties out a lot on the weekends while students travel. I don't know if you are planning on traveling a lot, but it is expensvie to get to most places from Florence.

As for tourists, it is the same anywhere. There are main tourist seasons. In the winter, it is very quiet, with very few tourists. I didn't start being "bothered" until April, and I left in early May.

If you're looking to really immerse yourself in the culture, Florence might not be the best place. I didn't learn very much Italian and rarely needed it.

Any chance you're going through AIFS? I see you go to maryland, I had a lot of people on my trip from Maryland.
Oct 25th, 2005, 02:56 PM

I spent a year in Florence about 8 years ago. It was the best year of my life. I see that a lot of people on this board are not that impressed with Florence but it became part of my soul. When you live there for an extended period, you find so many interesting back alleys and little haunts that become your regular places. I can't stop going now - it's my second home.

Dana
Oct 25th, 2005, 04:19 PM

My son is a senior in college and is studying at the Umbra Institute in Perugia which is about a 1 1/2 hr. train ride from Florence and a little over 2 hrs. from Rome. He absolutely loves it. He has been able to travel to Budapest, Barcelona, Amsterdam and Prague. They even rented motor bikes and did a weekend in Tuscany wine tasting. He gets into Florence as his sister is living there. I am assuming he is also doing school work, gee I hope so! This university might be one to check out. Good Luck!
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of the replies so far!
Oct 26th, 2005, 08:20 PM

There are really quite a few programs in Italy that you can find on the internet other than the usual Rome or Florence. My son went with "USAC" two years ago and lived in Torino (absolutely loved it as it wasn't the typical Italian city). My daughter will be studying in Sicily this next semester through "Study Abroad Italy". I really would look into programs that have subjects that will help your major. My son went to Torino because he was studying history and economics.My daughter is going to Sicily as she studies marine geology and anthropology.Decide whether you want to live with a family,dorm or in an apartment/then big or small city/what subjects you will be taking/opportunities to travel,etc.Sorry to sound like a mom but there really are alot of different cities you can spend a semester in if you research them. Good luck!
Oct 26th, 2005, 11:31 PM

I did my junior year abroad in Florence 2 years ago and highly recommend it. There are a lot of Americans who study there, but this just makes it fun and it means there is always someone to do things with! It depends what you want, really. If you want more of a Italian experience, with fewer Americans, I'd suggest Bologna or Padova ... 2 great college towns but they don't have the culture of Florence.
Nov 1st, 2005, 11:44 AM

Don't go to Florence. From my experience, the markets there are sub-par.
Nov 1st, 2005, 12:57 PM
rex

Note to dutyfree: I have been contacted by a journalist seeking info on Torino, and I have actually never been there. Would you be willing to write to me and share an e-mail address or talk to this person?
Nov 1st, 2005, 09:13 PM

Rex-just tried to send a reply and it did not go through so will try again. Yes, I would be happy to share any info I have on Torino with you or your reporter friend. I am leaving tomorrow for 3 days to London but will be back by the weekend so let me know which email address,etc.(Actually, my son would be the perfect one to share info too?)
Nov 2nd, 2005, 02:50 PM
rex

Try again? when you get back? or try [email protected] perhaps...