Search

What to Wear

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to Wear

My wife and I are going to the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland at the end of this month (June). Our tour company says to wear dark clothing, dark shoes, pants and not to wear shorts, athletic shoes or any type of athletic apparel. Their thinking is that we will look like American Tourists, that and in many of the cathedrals we will visit, women must wear skirts or be covered legs. Any advice? The weather is similiar to that in Nebraska where we live. My only comment is this: When we and 100 of our closest friends step off a chartered tour bus, won't we look like American Tourists anyway?
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 01:50 PM

Stevrico1,

Your last sentence definitely pegs it. *chuckle*

I don't care if you all stop at the local clothier and completely attire in new ensembles, you're still going to look like tourists. The digitals, video recorders, and repeated, "omg look at that!" will be a bit of a give away.

With that said, you'll find numerous opinions on this subject on the board. Some will tell you down to the last stitch what's appropriate and what's not. Others will just ask that you please don't wear underware on your head.

My advice? Just use common sense. Wear what's comfortable and respectful of local customs. Remember that cathedrals are a house of worship - not a tourist attraction - and dress appropriately.

As I've said before, people care far more about the way you conduct yourself than the shoes on your feet.

Have a terrific trip!

~ Sheryl
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 02:13 PM
MGB

We were in Prague and Budapest in 1999. 2 couples doing independent travel not a group. As you say, from where you are going, what else would you be but a tourist. We were there in Mid september and they had a heat wave. It was mid 70s to low 80s. Many places were not air conditioned or you were outside. We wore shorts. They were more the longer length shorts for the guys and bermudas for the girls. For slacks we work both khaki colors and dark colors to coordinate. We wore walking sandals or the guys wore tennis shoes. We were in several churches in both locations no one talked about skirts or slacks we had no problems (not even in Venice). Dark clothing has an advantage in that it is usually easier to wear longer. We did dress up for mass in churches and a concert at one.

We did walking tours in Prague to old town square, across charles bridge, castle area, etc. Jewish quarter and spent a lot of time outside when it was warm. Same thing in Budapest.

My thought would be to coordinate your packing in colors that allow you to mix and match so you can pack less. Comfortable clothes for the weather and travel are another consideration. The biggest thing is not whether your shoes are dark but that they are comfortable for walking on cobblestone streets and climbing steps.

Have a great trip they are terrific countries to see.

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 02:24 PM

I spent a week in Hungary last month, visited several cathederals including St. Stephens in Budapest and I probably saw a couple hundred men and women in shorts, white sneakers etc and no women with heads covered. It didn't seem to bother the Hungarians so I don't see why it should bother your tour company. (just one more reason to avoid tours) Why would anyone be fearful of being recognized as an American? I spent three weeks in Hungary and France and was treated very well as in all past trips to Europe. Incidentally, the stores in Hungary are just full of Nike, New Balance, Reebok etc etc.

Larry J
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 04:04 PM

Are you auditioning for Men In Black III? The aforementioned advice is good.
Wear what is comfortable. I would advise layers. I would follow the weather reports for where you are going to get a good idea of what to expect.
Make sure you break in any new shoes you buy before your trip.
Also do a search here on Fodors...there is some very useful information.
Most of all have a wonderful, safe trip.
Post your trip report when you return!
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 04:18 PM
tondalaya

only remember you are not in Florida or La that reeks florescent!

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 07:29 PM

I've been in lots of churches/cathedrals in Poland and Czech Republic and Budapest and you did not have to wear a skirt in any of them. Also, I'm pretty sure plenty of people were wearing shorts, although I don't wear them myself so maybe didn't notice exactly (I know they were in Prague)-- walking shorts, of course, I don't think it's usual to see people touring around cities in short shorts. I don't recall any dress police at the doors any where.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 08:08 PM
jor

Everyone traveling in a tourist bus is a tourist... European, American, Asian in Prague/Czech Republic. There are a billion European tourists in Prague. Quit worriing about what to wear. Everyone in Prague is a tourist.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 05:17 AM

HI
You're traveling with a group, you'll be carrrying tote bags and guidebooks, you'll be getting off a bus. Of course everyone will know you are tourists, and as soon as one of you opens your mouth, it will be known that you are Americans (unless you have a Canadian Maple Leaf on your bus).

I think the key is not to pretend we don't look or sound like tourists, the key imo is to be respectful of a different culture and not expecting "them" to behave like "us."

In some cathedrals and churches you are supposed to be covered--that means no sleeveless tops or shorts, if they're enforcing the rules. I've never heard that skirts are required, anywhere.

I have found that dark cotton slacks (or skirts) work well, show wrinkles and use less, then lighter-colored items. Mix and match with some non-logo tee shirts or polo shirts. You'll be fine.

If sneakers are the only comfortable shoes you have, then wear them, though I'd bring an alternative pair of shoes anyway. One because I don't want to wear the same shoes every day, and two, because I want something a little less athletic looking for evenings.
I have invested in expensive walking shoes because I wanted comfort, durability, and un-sneakers. They're not beautiful, but not white.
Popular brands are Eccos, Mephistos, etc etc. You have to try on to know what works for your feet. Other women swear by relatively inexpensive "Easy Spirit" shoes, though they unfortunately don't work for me.

Yes tourists from everywhere, even from elsewhere in the Czech Republic, wear sneakers. I don't wear them much at home except for country walks, plus I find them heavy, so I don't travel with them.