Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How does a 50 something woman dress in France?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a five week trip to France planned. Our base will be Lyon, but we're planning on a week in Provence with some time in Burgundy. What kind of clothes should I pack? I want to be comfortable, but I remember from my last trip to France (3 years ago) that bermuda shorts and tennis shoes were taboo for women my age. I don't want blisters on my feet, and expect to do a lot of walking. I remember walking up to see the chateau in Baynac and watching a French woman apply band aids to her blistered heel from her high heeled sandal. Do I need to dress up so I don't stand out everywhere I go? What about my husband? Though, he hates bermuda shorts, but wonders about tennis shoes?
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 07:44 AM

not an expert on 50 yr old women. My mums 58 and i;m not an expert on her either.

But i can't remember any woman sticking out like a dumb tourist. There are so many tourists, and many of us are dumb anyway that we all just blend in to the scenary. dress nice for nice restaurants and theatres and thats about it i'd say.

what made you feel out of place with bermuda shorts and tennis shoes? I mean i can undertsand the bermuda shorts....lol
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 08:02 AM

As a very well-traveled woman of a not disimilar age I recommend the following:

Dress like a sophisticated adult - and suitably for the circumstances.

If in a resort wear shorts, sandals, tanks etc.

Outside a resort wear either attractive pants outfit or a skirt - with practical shoes - there are lots of choices that are pretty, comfy and have reasonable heels. A silk dress and strappy highheeled sandals are not really practical for touring - and IMHO look silly anyway.

Stick to solid colors (black, navy, beige, white) with touches of color and avoid big/loud prints.

It is perfectly possible to be attractive, fashionable and comfortable. But please, no shorts in cities.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 08:11 AM

Birkenstocks are popular throughout Europe, and don't wear your feet out thanks to the half inch of cork between the rubber sole and leather.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 09:04 AM

There are lots of walking shoes that come in black or brown colors, if you don't want to wear Reeboks/Nikes or whatever. You didn't say what time of year your trip would be, but I'm guessing warm weather since you mentioned shorts. I don't really wear shorts in Florida anymore, having switched to capris. You could wear capris or jeans or slacks with comfortable walking shoes. My hubby wears jeans, pullover shirts, usually a travel vest, and black shoes. We are not 'stylish' in any way but haven't suffered a bit for it. I add a scarf or jacket, maybe black flats, to eat dinner and hubby makes similar small adjustments.

p.s. to avoid blisters, pack a roll of white sports tape - as soon as you feel a tender spot, tear off a piece and cover that spot. Do it everyday and you will not get any blisters.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 09:26 AM

Moleskin is also great for avoiding blisters.

In Provence you can dress quite casually, but you will see that the locals don't usually wear bright colors--earth tones will help you blend in.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 09:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My suggestion is pack mix & match pieces in good fabrics (vest, plain t-shirt, tank top, blouse, long/loose shorts, capri, light-weight slacks, mid-length skirts. Plus comfortable sandals and walking shoes. Keep the colors neutral. I believe you can be cool, comfortable and yet not look like you stumbled in from a Florida beach resort.

Same idea for the men - knee length khaki shorts, slacks, plain t-shirt or knit polo, fishermen sandal, dark sneakers or walking shoes.

p.s. I'm 50 (not yet "something&quot and this wardrobe has worked for me 4 European summer trips recently.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 11:19 AM

TROLL