dress 'code' in italy / europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 2 females about 50 yr. old. What do you recommend as far as clothes to bring and wear in Italy. We are going for 10 days at the end of Sept. We will be going to Florence and Venice and small towns around the area...
I have read "don't wear tennis shoes, jeans, shorts" "Wear black" I understand that you need to be 'covered' for churches, etc.
THANKS!!
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 03:24 PM

Hi Laura
You can't wear shorts in churches and you will need to have your shoulders covered. Last year trainers (gym shoes) were being sold EVERYWHERE as were cowboy boots. Jeans are fine and black is a good travel color no matter where you go. Truthfully, wear what you like and what you are comfortable in. There are so many tourists that no one will look out of place and you will still look like a tourist if everything you are wearing was bought in Italy. We were in Tuscany and Rome at the end of Sept/Oct and it was in the 80s.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 03:28 PM

Honestly, people wear everything. Jeans are fine (personally, I wear them but on my last trip I took lighter weight pants because I was traveling light). I saw every form of clothing possible. You do need to wear your most comfortable shoes for hoofing it around the cities. After several trips I finally bought ECCOs which really saved my feet and back.

I would say that shorts are out (never saw any in May and it was warm). Black is just often recommended because it goes with everything - mix/match. The only city in Europe where I saw a lot of black was Paris - very dull.

And, in most churches you need to cover your arms and legs. You'll also been more comfortable.

Regarding jean, they are fine for the daytime adventures, but you would probably want slacks/skirt for dinner. You can be very casual unless you going to a very top end restaurant.

Hope this helps. And check out the weather before you pack.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 06:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wear what is comfortable for YOU in the colors YOU like. Take things you can layer (according to the weather) and that mix and match with everything else. I like to take a few scarves to help pull the pieces together.

Personally, I prefer walking sandals and/or shoes over tennis shoes and almost any kind of slacks over jeans. I look for pants that are light weight and have 2-3 percent spandex because I think the spandex helps them keep their shape and makes them more comfortable when sitting on trains and climbing stairs, etc. I don't like jeans because they're heavy (both to wear and carry), take up a lot of space in your luggage and are difficult to launder while travelling. And I may be an oddity, but I prefer a skirt over pants in warm weather.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 12:52 AM

Well, I'm in my mid-sixties and take lightweight trousers, skirts and shirts for walking around and dresses and a smart lightweight jacket for restaurants in the evening. I take a pair of lightweight leather lace-up shoes and walking sandals and one pair of smart shoes in case I go to a posh restaurant.
I personally only wear jeans for gardening. Young Italian women wear them, but they are always well ironed and in dark colours. The thing that always strikes me about Italians is that on the whole they are very well groomed.
I think that shorts are for the beach and the tennis court, but that's just me ;-)
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 01:35 AM

Does the street where you live have a dress code? No.

Question answered.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 06:44 AM

It's true that you see people in everything, but European cities are a lot like New York--the young, sporty, and hip wear jeans and look good in them, but most grown-up ladies do not, and Italian women are so beautiful and fashion-conscious that I often want to throw in the towel and just wear a bag. A standard uniform for warm weather in the city is a knee-length skirt with a summer top and sandals, which can get you through pretty much all daytime situations cringe-free. Having said all that, I do agree with those who said it's not worth excessive fretting--no one's looking at you, and you're there to have fun and great experiences, not make a fashion statement. So have a blast, whatever you're wearing.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 07:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I pick out my 4-5 favorite outfits from the closet... pack-friendly fabrics, appropriate to the season, and ones that look/feel the best on me.

I don't wear jeans myself so that's not an issue, they are OK if that's your usual attire, but realize they are bulky to pack and hot if the weather is warm. I always take one pair of sneakers (the ones I wear to the gym). Comfortable shoes can make or break a trip. I wear them on the plane because they are the most bulky item.

Soooo, a combination of 7 nice tops, 1 lightweight cardigan or knit jacket, 2 pants, 2 capri, 1 long loose shorts, 1 skirt (optional), 2 walking sandals, 1 sneakers, undies/bra/socks, 1 hat, packed into a 22" rolling suitcase. That's my tried & true recommendation.

Yes for churches you need to be covered, but anything more than short shorts and a tank top, will be fine. Or pack a lightweight shawl in your day bag.

Black is good because it doesn't show the dirt. Just pick a couple of your best colors that mix and match. Olive green is my "black" for example.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 08:21 AM

There is no dress code in Italy and in Europe aside from those for the churches and some restaurants.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 08:28 AM

I forgot to mention 2 important categories on my pack list:
1- Something clean to sleep in. A knee length silk bathrobe packs to nothing.
2- Bathing suit and sarong if there's ANY chance you may be able to sun or get into water (lake, hotel pool, spa).
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 01:14 PM

" Something clean to sleep in. A knee length silk bathrobe packs to nothing."

An amusing comment, if you are serious, even more amusing. Unless Ms. Lubeck is planning on inviting strange men (or women or both) back to her bedroom, I don't think that night attire (or lack of) is subject to the supposed European "Dress 'code'".
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 04:14 AM
oldie

Goodness, what a nightmare!
I can just imagine the chambermaid inviting her mates in to giggle at my sensible OAP jim-jams.

I never understand these dress questions.
Just dress in such a way as to prevent causing alarm, offense or hilarity.
My aged limbs in shorts would cause all three.

Old Jul 31st, 2005, 08:37 AM

oh my dear m-kingdom, you'll be even more horrified to know i really meant any clean item of clothing that hasn't been worn during the day.

one trip was traveling with a friend (not a lover) so needed to sleep in SOMEthing but hadn't brought anything along. the silk bathrobe given to me by a european friend i visited early in my trip saved the day in this situation.

while our OP asked about dress 'code' i assumed she wanted help getting packed. but i could be wrong about that.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 11:21 AM

I just returned from Italy and it was hot! My husband and I are in our 50's and wear tennis shoes and shorts during most of our sight seeing. Rome, we wore church outfit to St. Peter's. I was probably one of the few women with tennis shoes but I noticed most of the people's feet had bandaids. My knee and feet never hurt and we walked all over Venice, Florence, and Rome, even hauled our suitecases with us. I wore jeans on the airplane because I get cold. So, really, you can wear anything, even shorts. St. Peter was the only church that was very strict. I wore blouse, skirt, and some nice shoes. Everone else gives you a wrap to put over because Italy was very hot!!! E-mail me if you have any other questions. Also, get a pop-out map of Rome. Rome is rediculous for their directions. No sign in most places!