Packing Information anyone?

May 19th, 2004, 03:03 PM
mbj
Original Poster

Packing Information anyone?

We will be traveling Italy in June. 5 days in Venice, 3 in Florence, 3 in Rome and 3 on the Amalfi Coast. I understand that Italians dress a bit nicer than American tourists tend to and have been told no shorts, etc. Does anyone have advice on type of clothing to take for sightseeing, dining, etc?

Also, any advice on restaurants or train travel would be appreciated. We have our seat reservations and trains already booked but will be shlepping our luggage along with us.

We have heard that pickpockets are a problem and have told to be careful in the train stations. Anyone have any pointers there?
May 19th, 2004, 04:30 PM

Europeans in general tend to wear clothes that are more formal than Americans - adults especially usually don;t wear casual/sloppy (shorts and tees) in cities - but will wear casual nicer (khakis and polos or trousers/skirt and blouse/tunic). Usually don;t wear running shoes either - but more like Rockport walking shoes or equivalent.

For restaurant dinners I usually take 3/4 skirt or pant outfits in silk or linen blend with cute flats or sandals (heels are not great for the cobblestone streets unless you don;t mind turning your ankle.) For men a jacket is nice but usually not necessary as long as they are wearing a really nice sweater or shirt. (If you're planing on 3* dining it may be a little more formal.)

Naturally at a resort or doing something athletic any dress goes.
May 19th, 2004, 05:43 PM

We were in Rome about 6 weeks ago and attempts were made to pick pocket us twice. Any time you are in a crowd, you are a likely target. The hustle and bustle of bumping and swaying in close quarters can confuse any intrusion into your space. First suggestion - don't let an attempt spoil your trip. Best way to do this is to prepare. Make sure that there is nothing that you don't mind losing in your pockets. For your shoulder bag, use a bread twist, a piece of wire or a small carabiner to secure the zippers. Use a money belt securely around your waist, under your clothes. If your hotel has a safe, leave what you can there. Don't hesitate to sternly warn off anyone abnormally close to you. Keep your hands on your belongings and face your travel mates. Always be aware of your immediate surroundings. If it happens, laugh it off, feel sorry for the poor soul, and know that becuase you were prepared they were not successful. Happy trails!
May 21st, 2004, 05:22 AM

Italians definitely dress better than Americans. In fact, a whole lot better than anyone else. But you can't say Americans are the worst dressers either. Just go to Holland. In Italy, men and women should not wear shorts in the major cities. If you do, you won't be able to visit any of the churches, especially St. Peter's Basilica in Rome (or any of the Pontifical basilicas for that matter) and will be turned away at the door. Ladies should not have bare shoulders (i.e. no 'tank tops' or spaghetti straps). Also, no 'belly' shirts and certainly no torn or ripped clothes either. Have a fun trip. For evening, you can dress a bit more stylish. Italians have wonderful taste in clothes as you'll soon see. Don't buy new clothes for your trip. Buy everything over there! You'll love what you see.
May 21st, 2004, 06:22 AM

It depends on where you are. When in Amalfi, shorts should be fine as long as you aren't planning on going in churches.

However, in general, I find that wearing casual pants with a blouse or sweater and comfortable walking shoes works best. You can go in any church and most restaurants and are dressed appropriately.

Although on our last trip a few months ago, when in Venice, I was surprised to see so many tourists in jeans and sneakers--and they certainly weren't all Americans. Who dresses better is purely a matter of taste. Those shoes that many Italians are wearing, to me, look like bowling shoes!

If you are traveling by train, try to pack lighter.

Luckily, during all our trips, we only experienced a pickpocket once and that was in Paris. Public transportation is usually where you need to be most careful. Advice we were given was for men to keep their wallet in their front pants pocket and women to use a bag that you can keep close. Just use common sense and you should be fine.
May 21st, 2004, 06:50 AM

Packing light for train travel is important. Often to get to the correct track you must go up or down a flight of stairs. In most situations, you will get into the train from ground level. You will have to climb up two or three very steep, somewhat narrow steps. There might be crowds of people pressing to do the same. The hallway in the train may be narrow or take a turn. Luggage racks are above your head--can you lift your bag above your head?

I'm not trying to discourage you--I prefer train travel to renting a car--but just want to prepare you for what to expect.

I'm with Lorac on the wardrobe issue--if you dress "office casual" you will be prepared or any situation that might occur.
May 21st, 2004, 06:58 AM
mbj
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice!

We are taking two roller 26" cases and two carry ones that attach to the roller bags. I am determined to pack light and we will do laundry throughout the trip.

We picked up two money belts that we can wear inside clothing around our waists and I am planning to have nothing in my handbage that can't be replaced easily.

Any ideas on whether I should wear jewelry or not? I read a thread regarding that but it just seems to be 50/50 on opinions.