Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to wear on the plane en route to Lyon?

May 19th, 2004, 11:40 AM
MAP
Original Poster

We are flying Chicago-Paris-Lyon May 27. Will I need layered clothes with perhaps a sweater, pants on plane, and then when we get to Paris and take TGV to Lyon, will I swealter? How casual can travel attire be? Are jogging suits out? Will Lyon be very hot? Thank you for any and all advice.
May 19th, 2004, 11:57 AM
ira

Women sould have shoulders and knees covered.
May 19th, 2004, 12:10 PM

What are you asking?

Is the temperature going to be different in France or on the train from what it is on the plane? Only if the train or plane air conditioning isn't working. Personally, though, I find every plane and TGV I've ever been on is too hot - and that planes and posh trains typically are set to the same temperatre.

Or are you really asking whether there's a dress code on planes? In which case, MK2 is being remarkably restrained. But you can't possibly be asking that, can you?
May 19th, 2004, 12:12 PM

Jogging suits are always out.
May 19th, 2004, 12:14 PM

Forget the jogging suits unless you plan to run alongside the train.

You won't actually be spending much time in Paris--just as long as it takes to go from the terminal where you land at de Gaulle (I hope) to the TGV station there. The trains have air-conditioning, and you should be quite comfortable. Lyon should not yet be hot, but go for layers to be on the safe side--perhaps a light-weight knit shirt for the plane with a lined silk jacket or the like to go over the shirt.
May 19th, 2004, 12:35 PM
ChatNoir

Lime Green jogging suits are out this year.

May 19th, 2004, 12:40 PM

I suggest you follow the lime green jogging suit out the door.
May 19th, 2004, 12:42 PM

Agree that I almost find planes and trains too warm - typically the only time a plane is cold is when its empty - or the pilots are afraid of falling asleep. But if you usually feel cold just stick a seater in your carry-on.

As for the jogging suit I wouldn't - adults in France don;t dress this way - unless they're really jogging. Just a casual comfy outfit - knits are best - and your absolutelyt most comfy pair of shoes.
May 19th, 2004, 12:46 PM

Au contraire with the jogging suits. I was in Lyon two weeks ago. A matched jogging suit preferably Adidas and white or powder blue seemed to be very trendy among the 20 something crowd. Don't forget the bling-bling to go with it.

Sweat pants had worked there way up to the 40 year old crowd especially with men. They were usually worn with a long sleeved, collar-less shirt made with a ribbed material.

As I watched the people go past I listened to them. The people I saw wearing sweat suits and sweat pants all spoke fluent French. Maybe a few were tourists from Belgium or Quebec, but I don't think they all were.

As I departed Dijon a 60+ year old French speaking gentleman had on a pair of those crazy patterned "lounge pants" that are like sweat pants with pockets. He completed his ensemble with tennis shoes, T-shirt and a windbreaker.

I think you'll be fine wearing whatever makes you comfortable. I know the advice is tiresome, but do think layers. Those airplanes can go from roasting ovens to chilling refrigerators in a matter of minutes.
May 19th, 2004, 02:17 PM

Wed. afternoon was boring until I read this post which is getting sillier each time-thanks for the laffs!

May 19th, 2004, 07:06 PM

Wear what makes you comfortable. You'll never see those people again in your life. Don't worry what the m_kingdom2's of the world think. They are sitting at home typing nasty e-mails to us vulgar Yanks who deserve our comeuppance and aren't on the plane anyway!
May 19th, 2004, 08:46 PM

For traveling I always aim for comfortable but "pulled-together" looking. Sorry no jogging suit. Layered knits or fabrics with a bit of stretch work well. If you're worried about temperature changes tuck a fresh shirt & socks or whatever into your carryon bag. It's nice to be able to wash up and change at least part of your clothes when you get off a long flight.
May 20th, 2004, 04:55 AM
MAP
Original Poster

To all,
I must admit I felt a little silly posing this attire question, but all the intelligent responses made me feel better about it. I will omit the navy jogging suit and opt for Chico black pants with stretch, conservative top and light sweater. I'll cross my fingers Lyon is not too hot this time of year, but will be prepared with removable sweater. The only jacket I am taking is a Shedrain jacket that stuffs into its own pouch. Is that enough for late May, early June?

Really fun to read all the witty comments! (I AM taking a lime green shirt! )
May 20th, 2004, 08:04 AM
MAP
Original Poster

Dear mgmargate,
"Your" should be "you're" FYI. I can see why you are insecure.
May 20th, 2004, 08:52 AM

Hi
The weather in Lyon at the moment is not nearly as hot as it was this time last year. In fact, early May was cool-ish with showers, quite breezy.
This last week has been warm and sunny, with highs of around 28 C (82 F). A few storms likely tonight as it's overcast now. The 5-day forecast is for sunshine with highs of around 21 degrees C (70 F).
Nothing to worry about for the moment!
May 20th, 2004, 09:05 AM
MAP
Original Poster

Thanks, hanl. Your answer was very helpful.
May 20th, 2004, 09:14 AM

Check out Richard Simmons' website. I think he's hawking some terrific jogging outfits, and you might even be able to get a package that includes some deal a meal cards.

Good luck!
May 20th, 2004, 09:24 AM

..and in August, when the olympics are in full swing, jogging/track suits will be 'de rigeur'. Our own ROOTS is designing the official team attire for Canada, the USA, GB and Barbados and yesterday's business section of one of our dailies speculated that the Canadian team's White and Red track suits (as well as the towelling wrist sweat bands for some reason) will be 'the' thing to own. Go figure.
May 20th, 2004, 09:30 AM

Are you an American, sweetie? If so, I suggest acid-washed jeans, METALICA t-shirt, white trainers, and fake Prada bumbag from Canal Street (CoCo Canal).

You will feel right at home with your fellow Americans on the flight.

If you are British, I suggest wooly jumper full of holes; tartan skirt; sensible, brown orthopedic shoes; and Harrods shopping bag that smells like apple chutney and crisps.

My god, why aren't I on the telly with Trinny and Susannah?

Cheers, John G.
May 20th, 2004, 09:35 AM

I wonder why you think it is going to be so hot in Lyon? It could be, of course, but chances are it will not be "sweltering" weather. Nice, farther south, is at about the same latitude line as NYC; you will not be near the tropics.
Have fun; it's a great time of year to be in southern France!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO