what to pack?

Old Sep 5th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what to pack?

We are going to be in Italy for eleven days,Lake Como,Venice, Florence, Rome Capri, what should I pack, do people drees up a lot, we are on are late 30s, I haven't been to Italy in 15 years.We are staying in five star hotels, please help me!
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 10:09 AM

well- first of all - that's an awful lot of places for only 11 days. Is this a tour that you're locked into?

Second, if you are staying at 5 star hotels and eating in upscale restaurants people will be dressed in appropriate clothing - jackets and nice trousers for men and pretty dresses or pants outfits for women. You don;t say when you're going - so I don;t know if I should be recommending silk/linen or winter fabrics. But in those venues Italians will definitely not be dressed casually (except Capri) - but beautifully and stylishly.

Obviously you can wear whatever you want most places (but some restaurants or hotel dining rooms will require jackets for men) but very casual clothes and sneakers would really stand out.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

We are going on the 13th of this month, in 10 days, thank you for you help. Does it cool off in the evening?
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 10:34 AM

Take as little as possible. If you think you MIGHT need it, leave it home.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 10:46 AM
LJ

Yes, by the middle of September on the coast it does cool at night: take a wrap or pretty sweater.

Great, whirlwind trip-all 5 star accomodation-you are very lucky!Do post a trip report for whatever you can remember...
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 11:09 AM

From another thread, it seems as if cristina is driving the entire route, or at least as far as Rome.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 11:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
3 pants
7 tops
1 dressy jacket
1 silk cardigan sweater
1 walking shoes
1 sandals
1 dress flat
undies and socks
cosmetics & toiletries

You mention a 5-star hotel but I think that's less important than the kind of restaurants you will be eating in. If those will be high-end, add 1 dress and 1 pair of heels to the list above.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 12:50 PM

You have another packing thread. Click on your screen name to see all your threads.

On your other post I asked why you didn't ask all your questions together, especially the driving questions. You had asked about packing but didn't give any details.

If you put everything together you will have all the responses in one place which will help you and also help the people responding to know your total itinerary. By separating your posts someone may have good ideas about all your questions but may never see one or more of your posts.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
you've started several piecemeal threads - you can click on your name to find all your posts.

(I honestly don't think your plan is possible - on one thread you mention you are staying three days on Capri. That only leave 8 days for all your other locations/travel. Especially difficult if you are driving between all these places)
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 05:31 PM

If you're driving packing is not an issue - since you can pack whatever you want in a car.

But really - I don't see how you're going to see much of any of those places with all that moving around.

IMHO Venice needs at least 3 nights and Rome 4. Capri you can do 2 nights.

I don;t know how to fit in Como and Florence.

Nor am I sure why you're driving. We've done MANY road trips in europe - and it's to give us the flexibility to see whatever we want in between the major cities - but you won;t have any time to do that - since you will barely have time to check in and out of hotels in the major cities.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As others are trying to help you with, driving to 5 cities spread out all over the country in only 10 days is an "ambitious" itinerary to put it politely.