Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Women: Share your favorite summer European travel apparel.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a favorite brand,style, material for travel skirts, pants, dresses, shirts? Also share price as well.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I find a successful "pack" is having clothes that "work". I shop in anticipation but take only tried and true, maybe a 10-15 pieces that look good on me, pack well, mix and match. For summer I favor tanktop with vest over, paired with knit capri pants, nice sandals. Tshirt style tops, a cardigan to layer, loose rayon print palazzo pants. Some things I drop money for, some are inexpensive.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 08:29 AM

I avoid linen at all costs - although I wear a lot of it at home it just wrinkles to much for travel. I stick with lightweight cotton, silk or rayon - with pants/tops that can be mixed and matched - and a couple of nice silk dresses or pant outfits that are good enough for going out to dinner. (All my clothes tend to be the same color schemes anyway - black,navy or khaki - so almost everything works with everything else.) Also stick with flat sandals or cute better flatties for evening - heels are just too difficult on the cobblestones you find many places. In the summer generaly take just one or two light jackets or sweaters for the evening.

Finally - remember you don;t have to bring everything you own - its much simpler just to have the hotel do laundry for you than to drag around gigantic suitcases.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 08:55 AM

Ginn my dear, for men and women: Helmut Lang, Prada, MiuMiu, Siv Stodal, Clements Ribiero, Comme des Garcons, Yohji Yamamoto, Jil Sander, Oki-Ni, Jimmy Choo, Rykiel, Dior, GUCCI.......

Not difficult to look good. Linens and cool cottons are definitely the thing for summer!
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 10:19 AM

My all time favorite are the broomstick skirts and dresses, you can tie them in a knot and pack them, take them out and wear them and you still look good! I wear them with summer sweaters or silk tops. My second choice is searsucker, it is suppose to look a little wrinkled and is great for day time sight seeing. I usually carry skirts and tops I can mix and match. Silk is a must for me, you can dress it up or down for any occasion.

Clea
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 10:38 AM

Good quality linen shirts and casual pants are a mainstay of my summer wardrobe. I paticuarly love wearing large men's linen shirts as cover-ups.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 10:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Lacoste dresses and gauzy cotton , linen or silk for dining.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 12:01 PM

Leather.....Works for me! Dress it up, dress it down. comfortable, wrinkle free, chic. Leather jeans, pants worn with great heel, low shoes, with great casual tops, sporty blazers, or "out to dinner tops or blouses."
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 01:29 PM

Trendgirl, leather, leather, leather, not for summer at all, summer is all about light airy fabrics, gauzey linens and cottons, not sweat inducing leather. Unless you are going to riding motorcycles I'd advise against any leather clothing.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 03:33 PM

The most important accessory is an umbrella.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 03:57 PM

a knee length black pull-on skirt from Coldwater Creek has saved the day numerous times - i also like tank tops that can be layered underneath a shirt - long or short sleeved when touring churches, etc. the skirt was under $30 on their website.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 04:03 PM

Lightweight, well-fitting clothing is what you want. You have to feel comfortable wearing the clothing you select to take with you. I like to keep it simple and comfortable but stylish for day and elegantly simple for evenings or a special dinner out. I don't know exactly where you are going but for me, a good rule of thumb is to think about what I would wear if I were to visit a large city close to where I live. I try to pack clothing that is comfortable for day and can take me from sightseeing to lunch in a restaurant for daytime and other pieces that will be suitable and comfortable for a walk in the evening and also be perfect for a dinner in a nice restaurant. It has to work for you - labels don't matter - fabrics, color, style, etc. have to be right for you, first and foremost.

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 04:26 AM

I spend most of my life in denim, so I have a black skirt question. How do you find one that doesn't collect lint? Thanks, J.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 04:44 AM

on the black skirt/lint question...I dunno - its not been an issue. maybe the fabric. this one is a blend of rayon, nylon, poly and spandex.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 04:56 AM

Linen, silk & pique work for me! I don't care about the wrinkling, it's the breathability of the fabric. No cottons!! If it is humid, or after a long walk it will stick to you! For summer, I break my 3 color rule, and bring whites and bights. My silk skirts in solid, vibrant colors take up about the space of a scarf. I only bring tried & trues. One flat sandal,one crepe-bottom slip-on, and one good walking shoe. Also, coolmax leggings and underwear for more temp control and comfort. I keep a sharp eye out for one item, a scarf, jacket or dress I can buy as an addition and a colorful memory.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 05:05 AM
dcespedes

cmeyer54--I've had good luck with Chico's "Travelers" black skirt--no wrinkles, no fading, no lint--for more information check out www.chicos.com

Old Apr 25th, 2004, 05:06 AM
dcespedes

Ooops, message was for jmw44

Old Apr 25th, 2004, 06:07 AM

Thank you!
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 07:48 AM

My favorite travel apparel is what's sometimes called a twinset - knit shell (sleeveless) with a matching cardigan. Without cardigan when it's warm, with the cardigan when it cools off in the evening. We travel in the shoulder seasons, so (luckily) I don't have to pack for sweltering weather. I rarely take a dress, but always one khaki skirt for dressing up. Don't remember the prices; average price range, I'm sure. Mostly cotton knits (silk knits are dressier than I usually need on vacation).

I've never bought any clothes from TravelSmith or the like - it's overpriced, and most of the stuff, to me, looks like "travel clothes." (I don't wear stuff with elastic.) And I'm not going to buy something that I only wear while traveling (and sits in my closet the rest of the time)...
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 08:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Anything that "breathes". The synthetic materials that are used these days (and practically the only things you can find) are nasty. Especially if the person wearing it isn't using an extra-strength deodorant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -