What to do with one night at CDG airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the end of a two week European trip (my first) I'll find myself at the Paris, CDG airport at 5PM with a flight back to USA at 10AM the next am. I have a room at the Airport Hilton but wonder what my wife and I might squeeze in that last few hours. We will have spent 4 days in Paris earlier in our journey. Any suggestions for something that may be near the airport?
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 03:07 AM
ira

Hey D,

>We will have spent 4 days in Paris earlier in our journey<

I suggest that you stay at your hotel in Paris and have a shuttle pick you up about 06:00.

Old Aug 30th, 2011, 03:35 AM
RJD

Agree with ira. Have dinner at the hotel, get a good night's sleep and get an early shuttle to the Terminal. Not much time to do anything else. CDG takes time.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 04:10 AM

Do this a fair amount usually take the RER B into the city
cruise around maybe have a bite at www.brasseriebalzar.com
left bank which opened in 1898 fav of Sartre and Camus and others.Stay at the Hilton there lots might join HHonors program for upgrades free food it is nice but I prefer to head cheaply into the city.In fact I just won a bid on Priceline.com for this hotel for my next trip $65 awesome value for CDG I still get my free upgrades as an HHonors member.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 05:14 AM

There is really nothing near the airport, particularly with the minimal time that you have available. There is nothing wrong with staying at the Hilton as it makes departure the next day very easy. You could however take the RER into Paris for dinner. Cost is 9.10€ per person each way.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 05:18 AM

I'd play it by ear depending on how you feel... I've arrived at CDG in late afternoon at the end of a trip and been tired so we stayed at the hotel, ate, relaxed and were ready to be up early for our flight next morning.

Have also ended up feeling we wanted to go back to Paris... the Hilton is very close to one of the 2 RER stations... in just over 1/2 an hour you'll be in Paris. Get off at the St Michel-Notre Dame station. Buy return tickets at the airport to save time on the way back at the end of the evening.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all....I'm going to play it by ear depending on how we feel.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 07:57 AM

Agree that you should just go into Paris for the evening. If I'm staying at the airport, I just can't resist, and there really is absolutely nothing to do near the airport. Spending my last night in France there just always seems like such a waste, so I trek into the city - not a big deal.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 08:22 AM

Ira did not say stay at the airport hotel.
I would definitely at least go into Paris for the evening, if not staying at a Paris hotel and leaving early in the morning.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 09:02 AM

I don't see anything wrong with staying at the airport hotel, I've stayed at that Hilton and it is very nice. It will be a very short trip in the morning, and since you are checked-in, you can easily take the RER to/from Paris unencumbered.

If the point is to be out in Paris, what difference does it make if you are in that hotel or a hotel in central Paris, you are going to spend a lot of time getting to the airport in the morning if you stay in Paris (and a lot more money). I
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 09:10 AM
ira

>what difference does it make if you are in that hotel or a hotel in central Paris, you are going to spend a lot of time getting to the airport in the morning<

It takes about 3/4 hour each way to go to CDG from downtown Paris. That's 1:30 hour lost. Plus whatever the transportation cost is.

A shuttle will be about 0:45 hr and cost about 35E.