Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What size car should I rent for driving in Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Ireland for 2 weeks in May. I have read that one should rent the smallest size car possible since the roads are so narrow. I know I want an automatic shift, but I'm wondering what size engine will I need. The smallest size available is "subcompact," but it has only a 1.1 liter engine, while the next size up is "compact," with a 1.4 liter engine. Which is more important, the size of the car or power of its engine? Are most roads fairly flat, such that I would not need the larger, more powerful engine? (My route is Dublin, Cashel, Kenmare, Dingle, Doolin, Connemara, then back to Dublin thru Trim & Newgrange)
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 06:39 PM
rex

I dont know if you readily find the litle cars in automatic. In fact, you might only find two choices:

big and expensive

or

bigger and more expensive

I can give you no beter advice than to investigate the easy options availabe around you for learning to drive a ar with a manual shift.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 06:45 PM

Another Ireland in May. Welcome to the Club.

Forget about speed and power in Ireland. If you find a roadway that you can do 50 mph, it is the exception rather than the norm.

I would recommend going for the stick shift, but I can guess that would be out of the question.

For two weeks, I think you would be happy with the compact. That's what we are renting. You will have no problem getting around and about.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 07:30 PM

Don't worry about the engine size too much. You'll forget all about it when you're confronted with a big tour bus in oncoming traffic, while you're on a narrow winding road with a stone wall barely inches from the car! I think i went over 45 mph maybe 3x the whole trip.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 09:01 PM

Margeo, size matters. I would go with a compact as the roads are very narrow and I don't feel that the power of the engine is an important factor in Ireland. Be aware that it's hard to find an automatic in a smaller car. I would go with a manual, but if you've never driven a stick, Ireland is not the best place to learn. I would also seriously consider not doing a round trip by car back to Dublin, but instead flying in to or out of Shannon on the West Coast.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 09:50 PM

I got a Corolla automatic through Dan Dooley. Automatics are more expensive than manuals. If you call for a rate, ask for the 10% irelandexpert discount.
(www.irelandexpert.com shows a 10% discount under their bargain section.)
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 04:48 AM

I agree with the post above that Ireland (or any right-hand-drive country) is not a good place to learn how to drive a manual. It's hard enough to adapt even when you DO know how to drive a manual!

The width difference between a compact and a subcompact isn't significant, but you'd be miserable driving in a subcompact. Go with the automatic Corolla. If there are more than two of you, go ahead and get a smallish mid-size.

It'll be scary when you go past a bus on a narrow road, regardless of what you're driving. A couple inches of width won't make it more or less scary, but it can make all the difference in your comfort over two weeks.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 05:24 AM
Jed

You need power not to go fast on the highway, but to pull the car adequately in those few situations when you will really need it.

Go automatic.

Driving in Ireland can be a religious experience. There were times when, seeing a bus or truck approaching on a narrow road, I simply pulled over next to the wall and prayed.