Driving in Ireland

Feb 2nd, 2006, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Driving in Ireland

I am going to Ireland in May 2006. I am considering renting a car and driving so I can go at my own pace and stop when I want to.
I want to know if it is difficult to drive in Ireland with everything being opposite of the USA.
The Big question is what is the average price of gasoline. I had heard that it was up to (3) times higher than here.

This answer will really help me put.
Thanks in advance.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 05:28 AM

rlittlerod; a car will give you great freedom to explore Ireland. Our public transport isn't great so I would definitely recommend it. Ireland is extremely small so you can drive from A to B in no time.
As for it being difficult, I suppose it really depends on the individual doing the driving. I have no experience of driving in the USA and, like you, would feel daunted at the thought of it. In saying that, I would do it. I believe in being careful and taking your time to adjust.
Petrol costs between 1.04 - 1.06 (approx) per litre for unleaded and a few cents cheaper for diesel.
Enjoy your trip. We have some beautiful places!!
Feb 2nd, 2006, 05:32 AM

Yes, gas (petrol) is about $5 a gallon, but the cars over there are typically more efficient in gas mileage. HOWEVER... your biggest problem will not be driving on the left -- that is fairly easy to get used to.

The biggest problem in Ireland, and the reason many credit cards won't cover insurance there, is the condition of the roads and the other drivers.

The roads are (except the main thorougfares) windy and narrow, with stone walls or hedgerows right up to the edge, without shoulder or leeway for mistakes. Other drivers are sometimes rather fast, as they are at home and know where they are going... it can be quite harrowing! It isn't impossible (I've been over twice, and drove both times, and am doing so again this summer) but it is unnerving at first. Be warned!

If you are very comfortable with a manual transmission, get that, as it is half as expensive as renting an automatic. However, if you're not good with manual, an automatic can ease some of the driving headaches.

Rent the smallest car you can get away with and still fit everyone, as the smaller cars are easier to park, manipulate, and handle.

Good luck!! I'll be there the month after you
Feb 2nd, 2006, 05:33 AM

I forgot to add: If you have a platinum mastercard, make sure you have it in writing from them that they cover CDW in Ireland -- otherwise buy it from the rental place beforehand, it's less expensive. And remember it sometimes comes with a deductible. Minor scratches from hedges and broken sideview mirrors are VERY common in Ireland, especially among tourists.

Feb 2nd, 2006, 05:43 AM

The current average price for petrol in Ireland is just over E1.05/litre for either gasoline or diesel.

If you rent a small car, are a confident but careful driver, are used to a standard tranmission, study the rules of the road ahead of time, have a detailed map, and don't drive in Dublin, you'll be fine. It doesn't take long to get familiar with roundabouts, but road signs can be "too few and too late." Expect to get lost now and then, but that's part of the fun.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 06:05 AM

Another hint: Most signs on the road tell you what the next town is, NOT what road it is. For instance, you come upon a roundabout, and the signs will say 'Dublin', 'Galway' and 'Dun Loughaire', depending on whether it is east, west, or southbound. Make sure you know where you are heading and the towns on the way, rather than just what roads to take.

A good map and some pre-planning are invaluable. as TimS pointed out!
Feb 2nd, 2006, 08:26 AM

That's good advice from GreenDragon about what to look for in road signs. While you can buy Ordnance Survey maps that divide Ireland into sections, I've found the Michelin Ireland map to be detailed enough. If you can't find it locally, it's available at amazon.com.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:01 AM

r:
My family and I were in Ireland last year in May and rented a car. Yes, its on the "other side" of the road and yes if you get a standard transmission, you'll be shifting gears left handed, but it is the only way to go. We thoroughly enjoyed our vacation there and can't wait to go back. I adapted quickly to the changes.Cost of fuel is the equivalent to about $5 a gallon. It was not a big deal. The largest adjustment is the width of the roads after you get of the major highways. Look at my families Travel blog for pictures spaces.msn.com/cartersblog You are going to love it. Enjoy!