Search

Normandy Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Normandy Questions

Hi everyone -
In the process of finalizing our itinerary for March and need some help with the Normandy portion. We will be starting in Paris for a few days and then before moving on to Belgium, want to spend two days touring Normandy.

After doing some reading on this site, it looks like we should train into Bayeux. Any ideas of where to stay there?

We will not have a car - will this be an issue in this area?

Lastly - am wondering if anyone has taken any of the Battlebus tours? Specifically the Band of Brothers tour?

thanks for your help as always!
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 04:14 PM

There are any number of drivers you can hire at the railroad station or Tourist Information Bureau in town who will take you anywhere you want to go and stay as long as you like for much (MUCH) less than Battlebus.

They are local people whose families (and sometimes themselves) lived through the occupation, and their store of anecdotes is equalled only by their knowledge of the invasion.

Typical price: Arromanches Museum to Omaha Beach (Colville-sur-mer) to Point du Hoc to the American Cemetery - 75€ per carload for the day. If you want the best seafood in the galaxy, try to be around Port-en-Bessin around lunchtime.

Summary:
Choose your itinerary
Stay as long as you like
Have lunch fresh from the sea
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 04:20 PM
DiG

Hi ilovs2travel:

After endlessly researching for our own trip, I believe you can still see and enjoy the Bayeux area without a car.

There are so many tour options for the WWII portion, There are buses and trains to/from the towns and sights.

The Peace Musuem in Caen has endless info as well as the TI in Bayeux.

Just decide what it is you really want to do for those 2 days.

I have not been over yet but have read here and else where that Battlebus does a good job. Type in 'Battlebus' and 'Band of Brothers' in the search box and you'll find info.

Best wishes & enjoy your trip!
Di
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:20 PM

Highly recommend Battlebus tours; don't think we did the Band of Brothers, but I can't think you'd go wrong.

We stayed at the Hotel d'Argouges, right in Bayeux; within walking distance of many things, inc. pick up point for tour, the Tapestry, good restaurants. It's a 2 star with lovely common rooms, adequate bedrooms, parking. It has no website (that I know of) but if you Google it, you can find it.

As I read your post again, I see that you will have no car; I think the d'Argouges would be especially good for you then b/c you wouldn't need a taxi to get around.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:02 AM

My wife and I stayed in Bayeux in October at the Hotel D'Argouges ([email protected]). It is really nice and within steps of the main street yet secluded from it! We walked to the cathedral and restaurants and to the Bayeux Tapistry. Got a bus to the Normandy beaches also steps away to bus and enjoyed the tour. Check out hotel- you will like it!
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 07:05 PM

Robespierre--
Re your post on guides from the train station/Tourist Information Bureau, obvious perhaps but do they speak English? Is Les Taxis du Bessin, which you have mentioned on other threads, a source for such guides? We will be there in late May. Can/should one reserve in advance?

Re your recommendation for lunch at Port-en-Bessin, do you favor a specific restaurant?

Apologies for hijacking the thread.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 06:42 AM

You can request an English-speaking guide from the TIB. At the station and with Taxis, it's hit-or-miss.

I didn't note the name of the restaurant because I saved the charge slip. Now I can't find it. But I doubt if you can go wrong - the locals are <i>passionate</i> about their cuisine.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:49 AM

We also stayed at Hotel D'Argouges in Bayeux a few years ago. Great location and some nice restaurants within walking vicinity. Ideal place for exploring the D-Day beaches.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 01:42 PM

I was in Paris in November. We booked a train ticket, the battlebus tour and a hotel room from the tourist office at the louvre. The girl at the visitor bureau set up everything for us. We stayed at the hotel Churchill. It was a cute little place and the battlebus tour picked us up in the parking lot of the hotel. We took the American Highlights tour and it was Fantastic! The guide was great. Very informed and passionate about the subject.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 02:04 PM

The Battlebus goes where it wants to. If that happens to be where you want to go, you're good. A private driver goes where you want to, when you tell him to.

The Battlebus charges on a per-person basis. A private driver charges the same for a carload as one person on the Bb.

Not (to me at least) a brainer.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 06:53 PM

I was in Normandy in November 2004. We didn't have a car and stayed at Hotel D'Argouges in Bayeux. It was nice...the room was simple but clean.. good continental breakfast... and close to everything! We took a tour through Battlebus.. I think it was called the American Highlights tour.. or something similar. It was excellent... very thorough. Having never been to Normandy before, we didn't realize just how big the region was. Taking the tour was great. If I went back again, I'd probably rent a car...although, it's only because I now have a feel for the region. I definitely saw sights on the tour that I wouldn't have seen on my own. Also... definitely recommend having dinner at Le Petit Bistro (located across from the cathedral in Bayeux). It was fabulous.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Another vote for Le Petit Bistro in Bayeux--make reservations (same day should work), b/c it is truly &quot;petit&quot;.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Doble_Vergasser

Iluvs2travel.

We stayed in Bayeux at B&amp;B Les Ramparts (run by Ms. Crystal. There is an adjacent calvados shop run by her husband.) We had a two room, mini suite (3 people) for I think 80 euro per night total. On a map it is up at Charles DeGalle (?sp?) square.

If you don't want to walk to the TI office, some tour companies might pick you up.

Arromanches is interesting (the museum for the artificial harbor and the 360 degree theater).

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 04:59 PM
bsm

For some reason i suspect &quot;Robespierre&quot; has a problem with Battlebus but we thought it was great and had HIGH marks from others. The founder (and tour guide) was in the production cast of the TV series Band of Brothers and he was our guide last year. They do a great job and I would highly sugest a tour with them.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 05:44 PM

I don't have a problem, &quot;bsm&quot; - it's just that you can get the same tour for 10% of the cost of the Battlebus. I think it's over-marketed hype.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Hi,

I am the owner of Battlebus and thought I'd post some responses;

Point 1) The price of 100 Euros per day for a full day tour in a taxi is considerably less than the price charged by the OFFICIAL taxis in Bayeux. However in the summer there are various rogue individuals who hawk for business at the rail station and they are indeed very cheap. They do not have the authority to transport customers and their knowledge about D-Day is limited. The official taxi drivers are friends of mine and they are licenced and badged, but they are more expensive than 100 Euros per day.

Point 2) I have noticed over the last couple of years here that Robespierre is always recommending a taxi to see the beaches. It is indeed a reasonable way of seeing the beaches as is hiring a rental car and driving yourself around. However I am very proud of my company's tours and we put a huge amount of work into the information we share with our clients. We have access to private farms and property not open to the public, we know many of the obscure battles sites in addition to knowing the famous sites in detail. On our Band of Brothers Tour for example, we have taken veterans of Easy Company 506th on tours, family members too and our information comes from the top sources. I am all for free competition but there is someone here who seems to have a problem with our service.

Here's the deal, next time you're in Normandy Mr/Ms Robespierre take a tour with us - I'll even do you a discounted price!! I am confident you will see the difference taking a professional guided tour makes.

Paul Woodadge
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 05:53 PM
bsm

Thanks for telling it like it is Paul. Wife &amp; I enjoyed you personal tour in fall of 2004 and when the we return to that sacared ground we will be part of your tour again.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 05:58 PM

Another vote for www.battlebus.fr for great tours of Normandy. I had a car in Normandy and could have driven myself from place to place. However, I never would have begun to understand the drama and the politics involved without the great commentary offered by Geerte, our very passionate young guide. He pointed out so many things we would have missed along the way. When I go back, I'll do another tour for sure. It was a highlight of the trip.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 07:52 PM

We had a car and drove the whole way across France from Germany to visit. Needless to say, the tolls and gas prices in France were extreme. But the trip was worth every penny. I encourage you to set your own agenda and give yourself plenty of time to see the sights. You'll want to wander around the countryside to fully understand the impact of hedgerows for the advancing Allied forces. The museums in St Marie Eglise are the best in my opinion.

Do yourself a favor and walk down the winding trail from the American Cemetary to Omaha Beach. It will really make an impact when you look up at those cliffs. The price of freedom in WWII is something that should never be forgotten, and Normandy is a fitting illustration. It is truly an amazing place.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 07:42 AM

Here is les Taxis du Bessin price list. Each of their OFFICIAL drivers that we used had command of encyclopedic knowledge of the history, plus they were natives who had many fascinating stories passed down from their parents and grandparents. I leave it to each person to decide.

http://tinyurl.com/bb3rj

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -